Apple previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard with QuickTime X

Comments

• Reply 61 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Apple knows that radical change pisses people off.

Thank goodness radical change doesn't piss everyone off or we'd still be living in the Dark Ages, or caves.
  • Reply 62 of 182
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

What people seem to be missing here is that dropping PPC now would send a terrible message to the CIOs of the world. Dropping support for a 3 year old computer sets a horrible precedent that essentially tells the corporate world that unless they replace all their computers every 3 years, they risk having Apple pull the rug out from under them.

What a terrible message to send at a time when Apple has a real opportunity to get into enterprise.

Enterprise standardizes on a single OS across the organization whenever possible. For those running Windows everything from 8 year old Pentiums and Athlons to today's quad core based PCs can run the same OS. For those running MacOS there's no way to standardize on a single OS because old machines can't run Leopard and new machines can't run Tiger. Adding another set of OS requirements to the mix next year would make matters even worse.

My God. Where did you get the idea that Apple was dropping support for anything with the launch of Snow Leopard?

All Apple is doing is optimizing Leopard so that ?"developers can create programs that take full advantage of the power of multi-core Macs." Right now there is virtually nothing out there.

If you don't have a multi-core Mac (and I believe it will be for Intel's only) you stay with your current OS. If nobody updates their apps (that you use) to run on Snow Leopard, you stay with your current OS. And I don't see any reason why both OSs can't be on the same multi-core machine at the same time.

By the way, where did you see that new machines can't run Tiger? And how 'old' are the old machines you referred to. Keep in mind that Leopard will runs on PowerPC G4 (867MHz) processor which was launched in 2002.
  • Reply 63 of 182
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

It will happen. Perhaps later than sooner, but it will happen.

Apple's current profits are in hardware. However, Steve himself noted how Apple is a software company in the event with Gates and Mossberg. Plus, there's that recent purchase of that PPC company...

Also, I see motivation for such a cross-platform move to compete with Linux. I know, I know: Linux is a long way off from prime-time when it comes to large adoption and ease of use. Still, it's hard to argue with FREE. --Almost as hard as arguing with EASY.

Apple is gearing-up to become a software company. Its stock will be $400 a share when this happens.

No...Apple has always been about "the whole package" and that includes hardware. Sorry.
  • Reply 64 of 182
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Much quieter reactions over here than at MacRumors forums. Those folks over there are freaking out about 10.6 aka Snow Leopard. Most bellyaching about how there shouldn't be any charge for what they assume is nothing more than a service pack. Hey, M$ charges for SPs every now and again…

The Exchange support is interesting, what would be REALLY interesting is if Apple licenses Exchange Server and integrates it into OS X v10.6 Server…!

As for those that say Apple won't release any 'new' features with Snow Leopard, I say Apple is just keeping it close to the vest and fully intends to make 10.6 a multi-touch OS and beat M$ out the gate (Windows 7).

And finally, I would say yes to dropping PPC support and moving to strictly Intel support from 10.6 forward…
  • Reply 65 of 182
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:

What people seem to be missing here is that dropping PPC now would send a terrible message to the CIOs of the world. Dropping support for a 3 year old computer sets a horrible precedent that essentially tells the corporate world that unless they replace all their computers every 3 years, they risk having Apple pull the rug out from under them.

What a terrible message to send at a time when Apple has a real opportunity to get into enterprise.

Enterprise standardizes on a single OS across the organization whenever possible. For those running Windows everything from 8 year old Pentiums and Athlons to today's quad core based PCs can run the same OS. For those running MacOS there's no way to standardize on a single OS because old machines can't run Leopard and new machines can't run Tiger. Adding another set of OS requirements to the mix next year would make matters even worse.

This post is wrong on multiple levels. Typical refresh cycles for hardware are 3-5 years desktop/laptop. Monitors last longer (in particular LCD). OS refreshes are probably longer. We get people asking for XP downgrades from Vista because they're companies aren't ready to deploy Vista on a large scale.

I've rarely seen 8yr pentiums still being used in any meaningful capacity by companies with a server/client based infrastructure. There comes a point where an old computer is costing your more to run (in power and management) than a newer computer would be.

I think you're trying to argue a point that you'll have has a weak foundation. Neither of us knows what a particular CIO will do but by the time Snow Leopard comes out (June 09) clearly PPC will be over the hill.
  • Reply 66 of 182
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    This all sounds good to me. When it comes out I'll be ready for a new laptop so ... I'm buying.
  • Reply 67 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Much quieter reactions over here than at MacRumors forums. Those folks over there are freaking out about 10.6 aka Snow Leopard. Most bellyaching about how there shouldn't be any charge for what they assume is nothing more than a service pack. Hey, M$ charges for SPs every now and again?

The Exchange support is interesting, what would be REALLY interesting is if Apple licenses Exchange Server and integrates it into OS X v10.6 Server?!

As for those that say Apple won't release any 'new' features with Snow Leopard, I say Apple is just keeping it close to the vest and fully intends to make 10.6 a multi-touch OS and beat M$ out the gate (Windows 7).

And finally, I would say yes to dropping PPC support and moving to strictly Intel support from 10.6 forward?

I've never seen a bigger collection of Mac Morons. MacRumors seems to breed this ignoramus.
  • Reply 68 of 182
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

Thank goodness radical change doesn't piss everyone off or we'd still be living in the Dark Ages, or caves.

Yes, there are the few that actually embrace change and push things forward faster. But for the most part, people want slow gradual, mostly unnoticeable changes. And that's how Apple is approaching this right now...rapid 1.5-2 year OS updates that bring evolutionary changes. And MS is approaching this differently...long 5+ year OS updates that bring huge changes that simply seem to piss off most people.

People look back at OS X 10.0 and realize that they've gone long ways...but only when they actually take a look back at OS X 10.0. In the midst of updates, the only see the smaller changes.
  • Reply 69 of 182
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    so, no-one's really talked about the possibility of a 64-bit OS?
  • Reply 70 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edub View Post

so, no-one's really talked about the possibility of a 64-bit OS?

Already there. The only 32-bit code of note is the Kernel. Everything else from the API to the GUI can be done in 64-bit.
  • Reply 71 of 182
    from what i've heard so far. maybe i'd pay 7 dollars for this upgrade. if they're lucky, 10.

most obvious thing to do is wait for 10.7 [unless 10.6 is some trap!!!]

hahaha.
  • Reply 72 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

from what i've heard so far. maybe i'd pay 7 dollars for this upgrade. if they're lucky, 10.

most obvious thing to do is wait for 10.7 [unless 10.6 is some trap!!!]

hahaha.

Really depends on where you are in the hardware cycle. If you have a Mac Pro Quad or Octo Core and run heavy apps that will benefit from more cores and threading then Snow Leopard is worth the $129. Chances are you have a nice GPU that will finally get used for more than just a small amount of apps (if the OpenCL support is relatively easy to add and performs well)

Hell I know I'll upgrade regardless because hell I'm paying out the nose for gas which doesn't deliver anything new at $4 a gallon versus the $2.50 a gallon gas I bought last summer.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

Quote:

Media and Internet

Using media technology pioneered in OS X iPhone, Snow Leopard introduces QuickTime X, a streamlined, next-generation platform that advances modern media and Internet standards. QuickTime X features optimized support for modern codecs and more efficient media playback, making it ideal for any application that needs to play media content.

Because Snow Leopard delivers the fastest implementation of JavaScript to date, web applications are more responsive. Safari runs JavaScript up to 53 percent faster with Snow Leopard.*

Probably what I'll benefit from most.
  • Reply 73 of 182
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

The real question is this: is QuickTime X a total rewrite or still building on the ancient QuickTime foundation? If it's the latter, I'm totally disappointed. We don't just need new codecs...we need new plumbing.

Chances are there will be a lot of code changes. From what I can tell Quicktime is still mostly a Carbon library, and with Apple's commitment to Cocoa, and the deprecating of Carbon, work will have to be done to bring it up to date.

BTW I know there are lot of people griping there won't be much in the way of new eye-candy, but what happens under the hood counts for a lot of what happens on the surface. If Apple can increase the performance and reduce the situations that cause beach-ball issues, this can only be seen as a good thing. To use the car analogy: having a great looking and well performing car is one thing, but having a great looking car that performs even better, is much better
  • Reply 74 of 182
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
  • Reply 75 of 182
    Quote:

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in the corporate world. There are companies that have only recently standardized on XP. Vista is way off the radar. By the time Vista becomes the corporate standard, at least a generation or two of hardware will have passed.

Quote:

I've known many large corporations that had both Windows 2000 and Windows XP deployed at the same time. Apple is not corporate friendly as it is. I don't even think it's possible to downgrade a new Mac to something like Panther or Jaguar. That's what the corporate world would want.
  • Reply 76 of 182
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macserverX View Post

First I'd like to mention that Windows 7 isn't even expected to ship until Late 2009/Early 2010, which Snow Leopard will more than readily beat.

Things I'd like to see in Snow Leopard:

? "Grand Central" - sounds like an expansion of NSOperation/NSOperationQueue

? OpenCL (BTW, I cannot find anything about this online. Is this still internal LOOKING to be an Open Standard???)

? ZFS - Please...ZFS snapshots = Snappy Time Machine. And while you have those 4 cores, might as well do on the fly disk compression and save some drive space.

Snow Leopard is the enterprise targeted OS X.

? Pull the Exchange support from iPhone into the rest of the OS

? mobileme for enterprises (on Server)

I'm sure there's other things that just aren't coming to mind.

ZFS should be finalized and ready for Snow Leopard. I think there is a good chance it will be used as the default filesystem.

As for enterprise support, it seems as if Apple is moving in that direction. We learned earlier this year that they will be supporting Exchange on the iPhone and now that .Mac will be rebranded and support Outlook and Outlook Express as well as Bookmark pushing from Windows browsers. We also learned that Snow Leopard will support Exchange natively too. Is Apple pushing finally making a power play with the Mac in the workplace?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

And finally, I would say yes to dropping PPC support and moving to strictly Intel support from 10.6 forward?

Apple has already invested so much useful R&D into multi-touch. Between the iPhone and the new trackpads they have such a useable system. MS' surface from a year earlier was so much more refined than their Windows 7 demo.

Scenerio 0x00...

I think they will be dropping 32-bit Intel AND PPC from Snow Leopard, but it won't be the last version of OS X to support those architectures. If we call SL 10.6, I think there will be a 10.7, say, Lion and a 10.8 Mountain LIon. Lion, like Leopard, will support PPC and 32-bit to allow for at least 4 years of support between compatible OSes. Lion will be the last OS X version to support 32-bit Intel and PPC.

Those that are still using non-64bit x86 machines will still be using Leopard just fine and still receive updates as usual, but all NEW Macs will come with the streamlines OS and those with modern Macs will be able to purchase the OS if they choose to.

Scenerio 0x01...

Apple does kill PPC and 32-bit Intel support with Snow Leopard and offer a newer version for older systems. Instead it extended the life of Leopard as a viable and modern OS by supplying point updates for longer than usual to make sure they support these aging machines. For example, Apple may take Leopard to 4 years old with 10.5.18, which would include new feature sets from Snow Leopard.

In both scenarios Apple will be supporting older hardware for the normal requisite timeframes while making sure that the newer machines are benefiting from an optimized OS X and modern frameworks. Sure, there will be people complaining, but there are always people complaining. From a sales POV, Apple fans seem to have more of a tendency to want the latest and greatest so this would help encourage new unit sales.

PS: Since Apple's come to x86 the ability to hack OS X and use on any cheap hardware has grown considerably. There are even cloning companies taking the OSx86 Project IP without permission and breaking their's and Apple's EULA. Just as the RIAA and MPAA can't fight piracy in the courts, neither can Apple. The best solution I see for Apple is to include HW authentication chips on new HW. This could be specialized chip made by P.A. Semi, even produced right there in California. If Apple wen this route, then even the current 64-bit Intel machines wouldn't be available for this update, there would be no retail option at all or it would defeat the purpose of the HW authentication, and users on older Macs would have to find something else to whine about.
  • Reply 77 of 182
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Just make final cut pro exports work on non-final cut computers. That's all I ask. Please Apple.
  • Reply 78 of 182
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

And yes, we've all heard about VLC, thank you.

Have you heard about flip4mac?
  • Reply 79 of 182
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

No...Apple has always been about "the whole package" and that includes hardware. Sorry.

Quote:

Yes, there are the few that actually embrace change and push things forward faster.

Except when it comes to freeing the masses from that excuse for an OS called Windows. Apple can't have 95% market share for both software hardware, that would be an ugly monopoly that none of us want. Trust me, someday Apple will set OS X upon the PC world. It's just a matter of time.
  • Reply 80 of 182
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    PPC and Intel 32-bit are gone.
    "Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos."