Welcome the newest member of our family-The experiment begins!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Your numbers are a bit higher than what everyone else seems to claim. I'm naturally skeptical about such things since everyone also swears their towing rigs all get 12 mpg on gas when pulling a 30 ft trailer.

That said, there are still some differences. Yours is probably newer. Yours is a subcompact and mine is a compact. You still have three in the family (but we are happy to indulge any announcements if you want to make them) and I have four.

Still I will try to see what setting the cruise control at 60 will do. The wife has it for the next two weeks as she still has school and I am done for the year. She knows she MUST take pictures for the experiment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17006933/

It still gets what I claim in real world driving. You can view the civic as a subcompact and your car as a compact but I promise you if you went and drove one of these new civics you would find it to out -size your car in every measure of measurement. So your arguments are not ringing very true here Nick.

Just had to correct your wrong assumptions

Fellows
  • Reply 22 of 24
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17006933/

It still gets what I claim in real world driving. You can view the civic as a subcompact and your car as a compact but I promise you if you went and drove one of these new civics you would find it to out -size your car in every measure of measurement. So your arguments are not ringing very true here Nick.

Just had to correct your wrong assumptions

Fellows

Oh I'm sure the Civic has gotten bigger. Every redesign of a vehicle seems to get bigger and that is part of why "going green" doesn't pay as much as a should because most of the gains are spent on weight, size increases and luxury.

Also for your numbers to make sense, 90% of your real world driving must be on the freeway.

That said Fellowship, you find me your vehicle for $2500 and I'll be happy to drive it all day long. Additionally I'm sending you the youngest son for a while. I suspect that within a month or two you'll give me your car just to take him back.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Additionally I'm sending you the youngest son for a while. I suspect that within a month or two you'll give me your car just to take him back.

LOL

Hey now lets not get too crazy here!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 24 of 24
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I love the Prius, but you're being far more 'green' by buying an existing car. I get giddy about the idea that conservation is starting to make economic sense. In fact, developing technologies to continue conserving scarce resources will probably lead us out of this recession. This will hopefully put the final nail in the coffin of the false dichotomy of "balancing" environment <------------------> economy.

Anyhow, the federal highway folks have reported that highway usage is down by 1.4 BILLION VEHICLE MILES per month. What a staggering number.