Apple previews Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Shame we'll have to wait for Snow to get a multi-core aware kernel. If you've got MenuMeters installed, it's quite appalling watching a CPU hog application being hopped all over coretown.

Hey, it evens out the heat.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

It has nothing to do with current limitations or software so why compare it to current limitations? It has NOTHING to do with it. It has to do with setting up OS X to be ready for future "potential" code and technologies. Leopard has a maximum theoretical limit as well as road blocks preventing faster processing. Snow Leopard will have a much higher limit and be much faster. That's all they are saying. Will that make any difference now or in the near future? No. It's a "let's pause, clean up this code and get this think ready for the next big thing. We are looking at 10, 20, 30, 40 ,50 years down the road." Get it?

I get it, but you don't seem to.

Snow Leopard does NOT have a much higher limit for ram. It has a limit four times higher than 10.5.

Of course they are looking at being ready for years or decades down the road. But since Leopard already supports 4 terabytes of ram, they are ALREADY ready for years down the road.

The 10.6 theoretical limit is 500 times today's practical limit. But the 10.5 theoretical limit is already 125 times today's practical limit. They're making it sound like 10.6 is a 500x improvement over 10.5 when it's really a 4x improvement. In other words, they're making it sound like a huge theoretical ram limit is something new in 10.6, but we already have it in 10.5.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Wahoo, Xserves with 8800GTS cards pre-installed

Well on my overclocked PC I have two 8500GT 256mb SLI'ed. Great for games. Would be even better, for CUDA/ OpenCL stuff .. If I had that easily on my PC... Do not underestimate teh nVidia! Just a 8600GT 265MB whips ass.

But yeah... now how we get nVidia in Xserve ????? Maybe 8600 M GTs built in??? Eh?? Nah but I think for serious performance CPU+GPU+RAM on Snow Leopard *Server*, Mac Pro's the only way to fly...
  • Reply 24 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

They're making it sound like 10.6 is a 500x improvement over 10.5 when it's really a 4x improvement. In other words, they're making it sound like a huge theoretical ram limit is something new in 10.6, but we already have it in 10.5.

After the lawyers, we should get rid of marketers.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hate my accountants the most.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I remember way back when Virginia Tech assembled their G5 cluster was that they were intending to tap the GPU to do some of the work. I don't know if they actually managed to do it, but an Apple-supported framework would make it much easier to develop such an app.

I think also nVidia's plans involve a all-round GPU that will handle CPU-like tasks, GPU tasks, and also Physics tasks. Juicy, tantalising stuff going into the next several years.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I say we go after the righteously intolerant first, regardless of profession.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Based on my posts I guess I should start planning for my trip across the river Styx.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

That wouldn't include Jobs, would it?