The .Mac to MobileMe transition: what you need to know

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What about the Outlook functionality? You can sync your Outlook Calendar with Mobile Me as well.

That remains to be seen, but a good idea. In the past, no, I could not set up Outlook to check an outside POP/IMAP email account. They are pretty thorough about locking things down. But I assume there will be a Windows equivalent of iSync that Apple is coming out with to manage all this syncing of data. I may or may not be able to get that installed. However, if they are just going to integrate the syncing into iTunes (likely) then it still won't work because they block installation of iTunes, too. I guess if you have 10,000 employees, and they are all constantly downloading music, it can suck up a bit of bandwidth!

Don't you hate it when work wants you to work all the time!
  • Reply 42 of 100
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So many questions....

And if I remember correctly, they demo'd skimming through events... (but perhaps they were just skimming the albums?).

Either way there's something new implied,

- we don't publish events, just albums...

- we can't skim through albums, just events.
  • Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

And if I remember correctly, they demo'd skimming through events... (but perhaps they were just skimming the albums?).

Either way there's something new implied,

- we don't publish events, just albums...

- we can't skim through albums, just events.

I think you may be confusing events and albums they way iPhoto does it vs the albums on the gallery. From a viewer's perspective, there appears to be no changes from the way .Mac galleries currently work. The Gallery itself is not new to MobileMe, they've been around for a while. For anyone who's never viewed one, here is Apple's sample .Mac gallery.

The Gallery has a section for photo albums and a section for movies, that has not changed. The skimming you saw is of the photo albums (you can skim movies, too; but there is no concept of events in the online Gallery). And in the online version, they simply take thumbnails of 20 photos in the album for the skimming effect. You can't see every photo like you can when skimming an event in iPhoto.

The only thing that appears to be different in MobileMe is that the Gallery owner will be able to rearrange your Gallery online. Even the ability to upload photos from a web browser or email them directly to your gallery is not new. You can do that now with .Mac galleries. The thing that's always been missing is a way to organize your gallery when you are contributing photos to it from multiple Macs, or in my case multiple applications (iPhoto and Aperture). MobileMe appears to address that. How it sync's the newly organized Gallery back to your Macs/applications remains to be seen. I assume there is a forthcoming update to iPhoto and Aperture to support this.
  • Reply 44 of 100
    foxofoxo Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do this not indicate that you get to keep them?
    "Once upgraded, users will be under no obligation to stop using their .Mac email address or their .Mac email aliases, both of which will continue to function indefinitely, as will .Mac iChat login IDs. In addition to their mac.com email address, users will also get an address at me.com with the same username and an iChat ID at me.com with the same user name."

Well yes, but that wasn't my point at all. Perhaps I didn't convey my point very well.

Currently, it costs me $99 for 4 emails. With me.com $99 will only buy me one email. What happens at conversion time. Will I have to pay more for the family pack to keep the 3 additional emails? Will the 3 additional emails disappear if I don't? Get it? What happens?
  • Reply 45 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxo View Post

Well yes, but that wasn't my point at all. Perhaps I didn't convey my point very well.

Currently, it costs me $99 for 4 emails. With me.com $99 will only buy me one email. What happens at conversion time. Will I have to pay more for the family pack to keep the 3 additional emails? Will the 3 additional emails disappear if I don't? Get it? What happens?

I don't know where your reading that your 4 emails will be shot to only one. It says your aliases will get converted and you can keep the @mac.com name, should you prefer to you that. It sounds like your [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] will also have a [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] address tied to them.
  • Reply 46 of 100
    Quote:

I never used my .Mac account simply because there is so much spam.

Are you referring to the .mac web mail, because OSX mail has excellent junk/spam filtering. Very seldom do I use Web mail for that reason.
  • Reply 47 of 100
    Quote:

Are you referring to the .mac web mail, because OSX mail has excellent junk/spam filtering. Very seldom do I use Web mail for that reason.

.Mac mail. Whether I access it from a web browser of a mail app makes not difference. I just checked my account it's gotten a lot better since I last checked. Good for Apple!

Although, the web portal still doesn't have HTTPS access. My username can be snooped and my entire setup can easily be had, which includes my Keychain which contains my passwords.
  • Reply 48 of 100
    Quote:

I don't know where your reading that your 4 emails will be shot to only one. It says your aliases will get converted and you can keep the @mac.com name, should you prefer to you that. It sounds like your [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] will also have a [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] address tied to them.

Aliases aren't separate email accounts. .Mac currently allows up to 3 sub-email accounts PLUS aliases for the primary email account. So that's essentially 4 email accounts for $99. Me.com isn't so accommodating. $99 only gets you one single email account (with perhaps aliases). You have to buy the Family pack at $149 for more email accounts.

Now if you go back to my previous posts you should understand my complaint about paying more and questioning what will happen to my sub-accounts.

If you still don't understand, then well, I give up.\
  • Reply 49 of 100
    Quote:

Aliases aren't separate email accounts. .Mac currently allows up to 3 sub-email accounts PLUS aliases for the primary email account. So that's essentially 4 email accounts for $99. Me.com isn't so accommodating. $99 only gets you one single email account (with perhaps aliases). You have to buy the Family pack at $149 for more email accounts.

Now if you go back to my previous posts you should understand my complaint about paying more and questioning what will happen to my sub-accounts.

If you still don't understand, then well, I give up.\

An alias is a separate email address that points to the same email mailbox. When I posted the info about the aliases why didn't you mention that you have separate mailboxes or accounts to clarify? You only referred to them as emails and email addresses, hence the confusion. I believe that Apple discoed the multiple mailbox option with .Mac some time ago. if I go to Mail preferences in .Mac I only see an option for creating aliases, no additional account. You may be grandfathered in since it's part of your account, but you'll probably just to sweat it out for the next month.
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Quote:

.Mac mail. Whether I access it from a web browser of a mail app makes not difference. I just checked my account it's gotten a lot better since I last checked. Good for Apple!.

Are there other email apps for Mac OS that filter spam/junk better than OSX mail? Actually, are there any other email apps for Mac OS at all? Not web email, but desktop email. If you have used any, what are there names and how well do they work?

Thanks
  • Reply 51 of 100
    Quote:

Are there other email apps for Mac OS that spam filter better than OSX mail? Actually, are there any other email apps for Mac OS at all? Not web email, but desktop email. If you have used any, what are there names and how well do they work?

Thanks

I use Mail.app on OS X with my Gmail accounts, but I don't enable junk mail filtering on the client side. Gmal does a fantastic job of eliminating junk mail server side so I never have to see it. As early as a year ago .Mac mail servers did a horrible job of removing junk mail from your inbox.
  • Reply 52 of 100
    cwebcweb Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Are there other email apps for Mac OS that filter spam/junk better than OSX mail? Actually, are there any other email apps for Mac OS at all? Not web email, but desktop email. If you have used any, what are there names and how well do they work?

Thanks

There is Mailplane for Gmail. http://mailplaneapp.com
  • Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CWeb View Post

There is Mailplane for Gmail. http://mailplaneapp.com

In what way are they not compatible? I've been using Gmail with Apple Mail for years. Apple Mail will even automatically adds the SMTP/POP/SSL info when you put in an email address with a gmail.com suffix.
    "But they are both from different worlds and aren?t friends, yet."
  • Reply 54 of 100
    Quote:

Thanks

There's always Entourage, part of MS Office. You used to be able to buy it seperately, not sure if that's stil the case or not. I have Office 2004, and it seems to do a good job of filtering out junk mail. But then again, I've always been careful with my primary email address, so I get very littlte junk mail to begin with (my secondary addresses are yahoo and gmail online accounts, so I really don't care how much spam gets sent to those addresses).

My email provider adds a spam score to the headers of incoming email and Apple's Mail has an option include those tags when it checks for junk mail. Between that and Mail's built in junk mail filter, I get pretty much no junk mail in my inbox.
  • Reply 55 of 100
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I(at)me.com

me(at)me.com

myself(at)me.com

theone(at)me.com

What's your point?
  • Reply 56 of 100
    scchangscchang Posts: 5member
    I'm planning on activating a 60 day trial on .mac and purchasing an individual .mac subscription on Amazon as other posters have suggested. If I like MobileMe, I will want to upgrade to a family pack. I assume this will be possible. Is it currently possible to upgrade to a .mac family pack from an individual account? If so, what is the upcharge?
  • Reply 57 of 100
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, it is currently possible, they just kick you up a level and you pay the difference.

$99 for Individual, $149 for Family Pack <- post MobileMe rollout.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:

I wrote a letter to [email protected] stating that Bookmark viewing in MobileMe should be available. I think that is the right address to use. I also noted that Stationary should be added to make it function like Mail and should include iCards. Perhaps a petition needs to be started.

I reckon the missing items are only missing because they haven't sorted them out yet. They will, in usual Apple style, keep schtum until they've sorted it out.

What I want to know is - I recently gave up .Mac because I couldn't afford to renew. I still have my .Mac address as my Apple ID, so will I still get that address if I go back after the upgrade? Would I need to sign up again now in order to save my email address?

Also, anyone know what the price is going to be in the UK? The £69 price tag was my main reason for leaving. I couldn't afford it, and I also realised I couldn't justify it even if I could afford it. With an iPhone and push/cloud stuff, it's looking like better value for money, but I'd like to see a £59 tag to bring it more in line with US pricing.
  • Reply 59 of 100
    I'm wondering if mobile me will end up costing iphone users crazy amounts in data downloads? I'm an architect and receive large PDF's etc daily and thus, would just email headers be sent to and fro to the 'cloud' or will the entire attachments get sent and received? Here in Australia, while plans have not yet been released, data plans have been rumoured to be 1GB and 3GB. that's nothing! especially if web surfing, is included. What about itunes and app shop downloads? are these exempt from the data usage count? I've ordered an iphone and am afraid that I'm going to end up being hit with huge phone bills due to the data usage. Will there be a way to limit the connections to sync only on WiFi or to sync only at certain times (work and home hours when in a WiFi connection)? Anyone have any ideas? Also, can't skype be built into the web apps with the sdk? I'm pretty sure that'll be easy!
  • Reply 60 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post

but those are cherry blossoms