Apple posts first iPhone 3G commercial

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has posted to its website the first official commercial for the new iPhone 3G (also embedded below via a lower quality YouTube capture). The ad shows two security guards carrying a metal case through a series of corridors in a high-security building, eventually arriving at an Apple Store Genius Bar where the case is opened to reveal the 3G iPhone. If this sounds familiar, it's because AppleInsider revealed the plot for the commercial on June 3rd.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Does the job. They almost don't need to advertise with the millions of dollars of free advertising the news organizations created for them.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's a cool ad... the opening shot reminds me of the opening shot of the 1984 ad. I wonder if that was intentional? Also, did anyone notice that they changed the time on the iPhone in the ad to 9:42 PM instead of their traditional AM?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Does the job. They almost don't need to advertise with the millions of dollars of free advertising the news organizations created for them.

I know, seriously. I saw a whole segment of Good Morning America devoted to it this morning. You can't buy that sort of advertising.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I know, seriously. I saw a whole segment of Good Morning America devoted to it this morning. You can't buy that sort of advertising.

Although the promise of free iPhone 3Gs for their whole staff could grease a lot of wheels.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The only problem I have is the guy's diction on the word 'beat', it kind of sounds like 'be'.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The only problem I have is the guy's diction on the word 'beat', it kind of sounds like 'be'.

He also doesn't hit the "t" in "first", so it comes out airy.

Then he says "fer" for "for".

Overall, I don't like the narration. It also is a little dull in contrast to the music.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If there's any "problem" with the VO (I'm not hearing it all, frankly), rest assure the ad agency wanted it that way.

It's not like they just drag some guy into a recording studio and go with the first take, after all. The talent read those lines dozens, if not hundreds of times, and they were meticulously poured over in post.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If there's any "problem" with the VO (I'm not hearing it all, frankly), rest assure the ad agency wanted it that way.

Good God
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's not like they just drag some guy into a recording studio and go with the first take, after all. The talent read those lines dozens, if not hundreds of times, and they were meticulously poured over in post.

I don't think there was a problem, I just don't like it. It is the style they chose; IMO, they could have done better.

And yes, I have been making recordings and educational materials for over a decade and know very well how much work goes into making something like this. I have at times spent hours just getting a single 10-second clip to sound right. Ah, the sleepless nights of years past!

They could have done better.