Apple site claims App Store launch on June 27

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of Apple's regional websites is listing the final Friday of the month as the opening day for the company's mobile App Store, which promises "hundreds" of applications at launch.

"Shop for hundreds of applications made for iPod touch," reads a small section at the bottom of the Apple Australia iPod touch website. "Available June 27." Nowhere else on the website is the date reiterated.

The one-off mention conflicts with official statements out of the Cupertino-based company during its annual developers conference this week. Specifically, it said iPhone 2.0, which is required to access the App Store, would be available in early July for first-generation iPhone and iPod touch owners.

One explanation for the conflict is that Apple Australia webmasters constructed the portion of the local website with slightly dated information. There's some speculation amongst industry watchers and analysts that Apple may have delayed the iPhone 3G roll out by two weeks from June 27th to July 11th in the weeks leading up to its launch. As such, the App Store may have also been delayed.

Time will tell whether the company changes the text on its Australian site.

Update: As hinted above, it appears that the June 27th date was published in error by Apple Australia and has since been removed. As such, we've moved this post to our Backpage Blogs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Throw another shrimp on the barby....LOL
  • Reply 2 of 13
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Throw another shrimp on the barby....LOL

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm glad you found it funny

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 13
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    I remember a Tom Cruise interview a few years back where he spoke about a recent family holiday in Australia where they had had a barbecue abord his boat.

One thing led to another and the barbecue ended up in the water which he described as throwing another barby on the shrimp.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    lol

Throwing a shrimp on the barby refers to placing a shrimp (seafood) onto a barbeque for general consumption after a certain amount of time.

Its just aussie slang. There's many hundreds of "Australianisms" that are like that...

I don't generally use them, but tonnes do.

And it has gone from the Apple site.

it now says "Coming soon"
  • Reply 5 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

lAnd it has gone from the Apple site. it now says "Coming soon"

Those Aussies are always the last to get with the program. One thing about those New Zealander hobbit lovers is that they are always on the ball.

(Does that count as one personal attack or two?)
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

lol

Throwing a shrimp on the barby refers to placing a shrimp (seafood) onto a barbeque for general consumption after a certain amount of time.

Its just aussie slang. There's many hundreds of "Australianisms" that are like that...

I don't generally use them, but tonnes do.

And it has gone from the Apple site.

it now says "Coming soon"

Not Really Aussie slang, it is what people in this country think Autrialians say. Easy to tell because Autrailians more often refer to shrimp as "Prawns"
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those Aussies are always the last to get with the program. One thing about those New Zealander hobbit lovers is that they are always on the ball.

(Does that count as one personal attack or two?)

Hobbits are cool.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    It would make more sense to release OS 2.0 BEFORE the iPhone 3G launch because all 3G's will have 2.0 already installed on them. Maybe the 27th IS the drop date of the OS update...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    This is very likely a case of the Aussie web team missing a date change. June 27th was probably the original date for the launch, but then Apple had to push it back, most likely to give itself another two weeks to build enough iPhone 3Gs to accommodate 22 countries at once. Or they made a last-minute change to the 2.0 software. Or some of the top third-party developers asked for a couple of extra weeks to finish their apps, and Apple wanted them up there at launch.

They can't release the App store until 2.0 is released. 2.0 won't be released until the 3G is out. Otherwise, you'll give current iPhone users a chance to play with the new software, slightly dampening their excitement when they get their new 3G iPhones. After all, without the new software features of 2.0, the 3G is just a faster web surfer with a black or white back. Not much to get excited about there, if you already own a 1G.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Or because someone picked up on some extra bugs in the OS??
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cwebcweb Posts: 5member
    Obviously, it will depend upon the complexity of the app., but does anyone know how large an average app. will be?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm glad you found it funny

Best,

K

It's from an Australian Tourism Commission ad that ran for awhile in the United States in the 80's starring Paul Hogan (aka "Crocodile Dundee").

From wikipedia:

The actual quote spoken by Hogan is "I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you", and the actual slogan of the ad was "Come and say G'day".
  • Reply 13 of 13
    You are trying to tell me someone ACCIDENTALLY posted an invalid date for when something is expected to be launched from Apple.com's no shit site? Yeah right. It sounds like legit info that wasn't suppose to have been uploaded.