Google CEO 'occasionally excused' from Apple board meetings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

At this point I think Google competes against Apple in almost all segments EXCEPT computer hardware and high-end content creation software. It boggles my mind that they let this guy sit in on board meetings anymore. Since I'm not a shareholder I don't care very much, but if I were a significant shareholder I'd want Schmidt out yesterday.

If Google wakes back up and realizes they're an advertising agency, and partnered with Apple to drive such revenues, by all means get him back on the board. While Google continues to make media apps, smartphone operating systems, and various online services, keep him away.

It's in the best interests of both Google and Apple to work together in the future. Life is not a zero-sum game where it's Apple against everyone else. This kind of one-dimensional thinking killed Apple in the early 1990s. What was Steve Jobs' first push when he became CEO again in the late 1990s? He got Microsoft to invest in Apple and opened up development for Office to come into existence, one of the key developments which is currently driving Mac switches.

Sure, Schmidt shouldn't be in on the iPhone discussion, but being in everything else is perfectly appropriate and needed.

BTW, Apple is NOT a cellphone company. Or a music company. Or a company using Intel processors. Oh wait, that all changed a few years ago.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    its good for a guy like him to have time away. He's got a lot of Legos to put together.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

BTW, Apple is NOT a cellphone company. Or a music company. Or a company using Intel processors. Oh wait, that all changed a few years ago.

That's right! Apple is in the "making-complex-things-easy-to-use" business.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Yea well macbook air still sucks
  • Reply 26 of 67
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Talk to us again in two years, when every phone on earth is either an iPhone or an Android phone.

Okay, maybe RIM will still be around.

Android isn't going to take Apple out of the market, but it will deal the finishing blow to Microsoft's Win Mobile and Palm, even if Palm manages to get its new Linux-based OS out the door. Given the choice between paying MS for putting Win Mobile on your device vs. using Android for free, which do you think Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, HTC, etc. are going to choose? It's pretty much a no-brainer.

I knew the iPhone would be a hit as soon as it was shown at MacWorld. So I do not fit into that category.

Android does not impress me one bit. The blow to MS will be made by the iPhone and not by Android. Android may help it but even without Android MS Win Mobile does not stand a chance against the iPhone.

I do find it very interesting that Google entered into this market from left field. Hmmmm... Google chief executive Eric Schmidt is an Apple board member. So he knew about the iPhone even before we did. I'm sure. Why is Google entering a market that has nothing to do with what they do? Huh? He knows that Apple's idea will revolutionize the industry that's why and he want's to steal some of it away from Apple. Personally I would have kicked him out of the board the minute he said he was making a product much like the iPhone. Where did he get that idea? Huh?

As one poster said earlier, the day that Google announced Android, the same thought entered my head... it does feel like Gates #2 all over again. What a scum bag.

Edit to add:

You wonder why Steve doesn't look so good lately, one of his "best friends" is stabbing him in the back.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post

Yea well macbook air still sucks

Couldn't afford one, huh?
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

As one poster said earlier, the day that Google announced Android, the same thought entered my head... it does feel like Gates #2 all over again. What a scum bag.

Edit to add:

You wonder why Steve doesn't look so good lately, one of his "best friends" is stabbing him in the back.

Oh, baloney. The phone OS benefits Google by enabling a standardized platform for Google products and advertising.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, baloney.

Woah there! Cut back on the harsh language before I report you to the admins.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Couldn't afford one, huh?

No, he said it sucks. And he's mostly right.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Why is Google entering a market that has nothing to do with what they do? Huh?

Riiight, so nobody checks email, searches the web or views YouTube on their phone?

The rapidly changing smartphone market has EVERYTHING to do with what Google do.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

I knew the iPhone would be a hit as soon as it was shown at MacWorld. So I do not fit into that category.

the iPhone has sold less than 10 million units per year so far. The overall market for cellphones is 1 billion. Defining "hit" is relative.

Quote:

Android does not impress me one bit. The blow to MS will be made by the iPhone and not by Android. Android may help it but even without Android MS Win Mobile does not stand a chance against the iPhone.

How does an expensive, proprietary, closed-source OS deal a blow to another expensive, proprietary, closed-source OS from Microsoft? It doesn't. Get your head out of the sand.

Quote:

I do find it very interesting that Google entered into this market from left field. Hmmmm... Google chief executive Eric Schmidt is an Apple board member. So he knew about the iPhone even before we did. I'm sure. Why is Google entering a market that has nothing to do with what they do? Huh?

Read up on Apple history please. Remember the introduction of the iPhone? iPod? iTunes? Huh? Yeah, all those things had nothing to do with their previous product map.

Quote:

He knows that Apple's idea will revolutionize the industry that's why and he want's to steal some of it away from Apple. Personally I would have kicked him out of the board the minute he said he was making a product much like the iPhone. Where did he get that idea? Huh?

I'm not sure who the first cellphone manufacturer was, but it wasn't Apple.

Quote:

Ummmmm...

Quote:

Edit to add:

Or maybe it's pancreatic cancer...? You know, the one he was diagnosed and treated for previously?
  • Reply 33 of 67
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    However one looks at it, it's clear that there is indeed a conflict of interests. It would be like WinMob attenting SonyEricsson meetings...

I understand he has to quit from time to time.. I think he shouldn't even be there at all.

Someone here is saying iPhone is a closed platform, whereas Android will be a completely open one.

I think Apple is creating an OS for a new platform. There's plenty of room for third party developers to take advantage of it.

Android, on the other hand, risks (it's not a fact, just a risk) to be implemented with such big variations among handset manufacturers that developers will scratch their heads to create something that works for all. At the end of the day Android's app store will be divided into substores according to the version of Android installed and phone features (GPS or not, Touchscreen or not, motion sensor or not, and so on) making it a pain to navigate and find something.

I am all for openness and participation, but I think the best products and services are the ones that rely on a commonly accepted, well thought foundation.

Anyway. Now I begin to understand why Jobs complains about "a ship that leaks from the top"... (kidding kidding)

PS - on another funny note... Why didn't we see any "Avon" applications for the iPhone? that would have been funny. But maybe it will come.. Avon App for Avon sales people...

PS2- Jobs should really update his pictures on the "Apple Board" photo (check it out here: http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/execs/jobsphotos.html )

PS3- is it just me or some of the Google hype in version 1.0 of the iPhone has now gone? No new apps? No "Google Docs" for iPhone? Maybe Schmidt already has a "one way ticket"...
  • Reply 34 of 67
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    He has to leave the room during board meetings? Let's hope it doesn't end up like when that happens in a James Bond movie.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am sure others will know better but doesn't Google simply become Microsoft in the sense that making one OS for any manufacturers becomes a mess, never quite working perfectly (as in PCs). As opposed to the Apple model of controlling hardware and software for integration. Plus, soon to be even the CPUs will be in-house. I guess Google might succeed in the way MS did in volume but perhaps this time Apple is far enough ahead and wise enough not to let history repeat itself.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    webheadwebhead Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Google has no business being in the cell phone market. I don't see anything special coming form Android other than just a hobby for Google. Annoying that they must make noise about nothing. Maybe it's just a collaborated agreement between Apple and Google designed to discourage the competition. Android certainly isn't going anywhere.

I am so sick of hearing about Android! Never before has such hype been created for something that still does not exist. When android is actually done and is actually on cell phones that are actually being sold to and used by real people, when they line up by the hundreds to buy an android phone then we can evaluate how good of a system it will be. Until then can we start treating it like what it is? A dream in the sky? Having a great idea, even a great software demo is one thing, but actually making a product that competes in the marketplace is another. I don't see why we give Google such credit for something that is still being designed, just because they're google??? Has Google ever made an electronic device before? Have they ever made system software for a mobile device before? Why do we assume it will be great the first time out?

The iPhone is here, in it's second generation even. We have seen many examples of the great apps that will be available on July 11th, it's been proven that people want the iPhone and that it's poised to me a mega hit in the mobile phone industry. When Google and Android are at that point then we can begin to tout the merits of android. But for now it's just dreaming.
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Woah there! Cut back on the harsh language before I report you to the admins.

I'm trying to play nice since cursing at each other is just polarizing. Yes, we can disagree without being disagreeable.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I'm not sure who the first cellphone manufacturer was, but it wasn't Apple.

Right you are!

According to internal memos, American Telephone & Telegraph discussed developing a wireless phone in 1915, but were afraid deployment of the technology could undermine its monopoly on wired service in the U.S.[2]

The first commercial mobile phone service was launched in Japan by NTT in 1978. By November 2007, the total number of mobile phone subscriptions in the world had reached 3.3 billion, or half of the human population (although some users have multiple subscriptions, or inactive subscriptions), which also makes the mobile phone the most widely spread technology and the most common gadget in the world.[3]

The first mobile phone to enable internet connectivity and wireless email use, was the Nokia Communicator released in 1996 and created a new category of expensive phones called smartphones. In 1999 the first mobile internet service was launched by NTT DoCoMo in Japan under the i-Mode service. By 2007 over 798 million people around the world accessed the internet or equivalent mobile internet services such as WAP and i-Mode at least occasionally using a mobile phone rather than a personal computer. On May 23, 2008 american company Hop-on started to sell mobile phone for USD 10.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I'm trying to play nice since cursing at each other is just polarizing. Yes, we can disagree without being disagreeable.

If only politicians followed that example eh?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

I am so sick of hearing about Android! Never before has such hype been created for something that still does not exist. When android is actually done and is actually on cell phones that are actually being sold to and used by real people, when they line up by the hundreds to buy an android phone then we can evaluate how good of a system it will be. Until then can we start treating it like what it is? A dream in the sky? Having a great idea, even a great software demo is one thing, but actually making a product that competes in the marketplace is another. I don't see why we give Google such credit for something that is still being designed, just because they're google??? Has Google ever made an electronic device before? Have they ever made system software for a mobile device before? Why do we assume it will be great the first time out?

The iPhone is here, in it's second generation even. We have seen many examples of the great apps that will be available on July 11th, it's been proven that people want the iPhone and that it's poised to me a mega hit in the mobile phone industry. When Google and Android are at that point then we can begin to tout the merits of android. But for now it's just dreaming.

The threat of Android may be more useful than the reality. The vast majority of phone user interfaces are simply terrible. Android provides a set of basic utility guidelines, in a sense, that doesn't necessarily copy all of the functions of the iPhone. It also provides a push for greater invention and innovation for Apple via plain old competition.