Crying men

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Crying Men

Quote:

'Crying Men' is a collection of photographic portraits of famous film actors by Sam Taylor-Wood showing what it looks like when Hollywwod men cry.

So what about it men on these boards... can you? Do you?

I can cry pretty much on command because of an exercise I practiced back when I was taking various drama classes. They are legit tears, not pinching myself, biting my tongue or anything like that.

I know I would cry if I disappointed or hurt my family in some fashion or also if I see them experiencing pain, like from a family member passing.

What about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Real men don't.

hmm... just deleted a lengthy paragraph... decided that first line is enough.

Now, if you're an actor, and it's called for in the script, then you gotta earn your $.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I haven't truly cried since I've been a kid.

I did, however, fake it a few years ago to get a girlfriend to take me back after she caught me cheating.

It worked. But I subsequently broke up with her a few days later.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

It worked. But I subsequently broke up with her a few days later.

Ah, must be difficult for you guys at family reunions.

• Reply 4 of 22
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Yeah, I do. At funerals and at other emotional (joyful) occasions. Tragedies (9-11) and such...

Movies too. This scene from Leon: The Professional still gets me....

But I can't cry at a drop of a hat. That takes practice/talent.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Crying Men

I can cry pretty much on command because of an exercise I practiced back when I was taking various drama classes. They are legit tears, not pinching myself, biting my tongue or anything like that.

I know I would cry if I disappointed or hurt my family in some fashion or also if I see them experiencing pain, like from a family member passing.

What about you?

Good topic. The last time I cried was last month, after finishing the novel "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

As far as KOSH saying "Real men don't", that's a bunch of bullshit. He's just a pussy who is afraid of appearing weak. This isn't the 1950's. Real men do whatever the hell they feel like doing. And if they never feel like crying, then they're assholes. And assholes are not real men.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mr_zebramr_zebra Posts: 85member
    Some movies do get me crying, as do a fair amount of songs that remind me of more trying times in my life.

I think it's perfectly normal to cry. If we weren't meant to do it, we wouldn't have tear ducts. Then again, I am a somewhat emotionally unstable person :P
  • Reply 7 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The only times I've cried in the past 25 years have been chopping onions. I guess I am a real man. Then again, I wear lacy pink underwear.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Ah, must be difficult for you guys at family reunions.

Too much?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Good topic. The last time I cried was last month, after finishing the novel "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

As far as KOSH saying "Real men don't", that's a bunch of bullshit. He's just a pussy who is afraid of appearing weak. This isn't the 1950's. Real men do whatever the hell they feel like doing. And if they never feel like crying, then they're assholes. And assholes are not real men.

I started that book a few weeks ago.. but couldn't get past the first 25 pages. Is it worth plowing through?

The last time I cried is when my dad interfered in my conversation with a very special girl, about a month ago.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I started that book a few weeks ago.. but couldn't get past the first 25 pages. Is it worth plowing through?

Trust me. It's worth it. It actually moves very quickly and it's a short novel. There is a lot of repetition, sure, but there are definitely surprises along the way. And the ending is a good one.

Quote:

The last time I cried is when my dad interfered in my conversation with a very special girl, about a month ago.

Hopefully the girl wasn't witness to your tears...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Trust me. It's worth it. It actually moves very quickly and it's a short novel. There is a lot of repetition, sure, but there are definitely surprises along the way. And the ending is a good one.

Hopefully the girl wasn't witness to your tears...

She was not. However, during the time that I had exited the party to take a walk, people came up to her and asked her what she had said to me, because they saw me crying as I left the building. So she knew. A few days later I began conversing with her by email, and we indulged each other with detailed accounts of what the incident was like for each of us, and we talked openly about the fact that I cried afterward. No biggie.

See, this girl was homeschooled, so there was a greater level of maturity and understanding between us, than would normally be the case.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yea. When you got your second (or third) son that came too early wrapped in a blanket after delivery. That's cry time.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Too much?

No.

You just made me genuinely cry for the first time in awhile, that's all...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Yea. When you got your second (or third) son that came too early wrapped in a blanket after delivery. That's cry time.

It was third and it was and still is at times cry time.

For whatever reason I am very big on the space program and will cry about the good and bad there. I cried when Challenger exploded. I cried when Columbia disintegrated. I remember crying when Magic Johnson announced he was retiring due to having the AIDS virus. I cried during the end of Life is Beautiful.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

See, this girl was homeschooled, so there was a greater level of maturity and understanding between us, than would normally be the case.

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

No.

You just made me genuinely cry for the first time in awhile, that's all...

I knew it all along...
    • I was cryin' when I met you. Now I'm tryin' to forget you. Love it sweet misery. I was cryin' just to get you. Now I'm dyin' 'cause I let you.

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

I knew it all along...
    • I was cryin' when I met you. Now I'm tryin' to forget you. Love it sweet misery. I was cryin' just to get you. Now I'm dyin' 'cause I let you.

I thought that I was over you.

But it's true, oh, so true...

I love you even more than I did before,

But darling, what can I do?

Oh you don't love me, and I'll always be

Crying...

Over you.

Crying...

Over you.

Yes, now you're gone.

And from this moment on, I'll be crying.

(That's a Roy Orbison Smiley)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

See, this girl was home schooled, so there was a greater level of maturity and understanding between us, than would normally be the case.

I think you mean that the other way around, at least in my experience. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

At the appropriate times, funerals, some sad movies, the end of Shane, etc. I'm generally a fairly mellow guy when it comes to either extreme and keep allot of emotions to myself. (stiff upper lip and all that)

For a minute I thought this topic was about The Crying Game.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I think you mean that the other way around, at least in my experience.

I think it's meaningless either way around. I find most people's assumptions about home schooling to be ignorantly false.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    All I know is, when a 10 year old girl has the perception, awareness, and civility of an adult, and engages me in a real conversation, she's been homeschooled.

For clarification, the girl I was talking about before was not 10 years old.

And it may be the other way around in some situations, but not in my experience.