Mozilla says Firefox 3.0 for Mac two to three times faster

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    tjoenertjoener Posts: 3member
    Jep, my Firefox3 on Windows XP has never EVER crashed for as long as I can remember, except when I try to open 1 kind of site.

The ones with Quicktime movies embedded in the page.
  • Reply 82 of 114
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    HOLEY MOLEY It is FAST.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    This is great. Seems like a big improvement over Firefox 2. Loading, scrolling and navigating seems very fast. And finally the gui looks somewhat decent
  • Reply 84 of 114
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Fantastic- super fast. Pictures snap on- unbelievable!

BUt the most important feature is, you get as always , a full screen of internet real estate by clicking the upper right hand button- something you could never do in Safari.

Highly recommended - so far.
  • Reply 85 of 114
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishmaven View Post

My beef is that if they've got the room to say OSX they've got the room to say 10.4 or newer. I'm running 10.3.9 on a Pismo. The system requirements should be up front somewhere.

EXACTLY! Then I wouldn't have had to waste an hour or so finding it doesn't work and running around hunting for a copy of the 2.0.0.14 .dmg file. I have a new iMac, which runs leopard, but I would hate having to switch back and forth to different versions of FF when I use the iBook.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks, though I don't think the eye rolling emoticon is called for.

Perhaps it (Fotek2001's response, i.e., "Safari already has a 'restore session' option and it's been there since 3.0") wouldn't have been if your original statement, "Stable or not, that is a feature Safari should have already had. It's not like it would be hard to code," didn't sound so dissing in the first place.
  • Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps it (Fotek2001's response, i.e., "Safari already has a 'restore session' option and it's been there since 3.0") wouldn't have been if your original statement, "Stable or not, that is a feature Safari should have already had. It's not like it would be hard to code," didn't sound so dissing in the first place.

Speaking of coding- would it be that hard to code safari to expand to a full page like Firefox? .....just wondering.
  • Reply 88 of 114
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

can you tell me what the hell i'm looking at.

I'd wager at your computer's screen.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

No offense, but something must be wrong with your installation... I did not have a single Safari crash for at least three years and it is running at least 14 hours a day. Still, a re-open last session option would be great - it can be added using the Stand plug-in though and works pretty well.

You must look at very 'mild' web pages. I get frequent crashes as well, but usually when a site has too many plug-ins or some such (FF crashes as well, so it's not an anti-safari thing)
  • Reply 90 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I MUCH rather safari.

Safari is soooo much faster!

Someone didn't actually try FF3
  • Reply 91 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

Someone didn't actually try FF3

He didn't say which version of Safari he is using or which engine, Safari 4 and the new WebKit builds are faster than FF3. You can really see it on heavy JS pages, but the speed of the engine is evident on other pages. Though with today's internet speeds it's harder and hearder to see teh difference and if the stability is better (which seems to be a persistant issue with some people) and you use the extensions then FF is the only option.

It's good that we have so many great options these days.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I MUCH rather safari.

Safari is soooo much faster!

I don't think soooo.
  • Reply 93 of 114
    I still don't have Firefox on the Mac. It's on my Vista laptop, but I still use Camino for the Mac. Haven't ever found anything better or faster or easier to look at.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Holding down option and turning the scroll wheel pages you through the history.

I find Safari and FF3 to be about the same in terms of rendering speed. It's fast enough that I don't care anymore.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Why not go download FireFox 3.0, try it out and then come back and make an *intelligent* (non-trolling), post that's actually on topic?

Hey dumb-a**, you're aware that FF3 has been available as beta for a while now, aren't you?

• Reply 96 of 114
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm enjoying FF3 on my work PC. My thoughts so far...

The Good:

It is much faster than FF2. So much so that I have switched over to yahoo's web-app for mail instead of relying on their quicker loading classic mail interface. No longer does loading the new yahoo mail take 30 seconds... it is finally usable on this modest 1.7Ghz P4.

The Bad:

Why is it that the drop-down menu "back" history is now part of the "forward" button? Complete UI design idiocy if you ask me. I'm almost certain they'll have to fix this laughable interface regression. But at least it is an easy fix. Just move the damn drop-down menu for "back" history so that it is next to the "back" button.
  • Reply 97 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

EXACTLY! Then I wouldn't have had to waste an hour or so finding it doesn't work and running around hunting for a copy of the 2.0.0.14 .dmg file. I have a new iMac, which runs leopard, but I would hate having to switch back and forth to different versions of FF when I use the iBook.

This discussion has brought out several browser updates. I wanted to find out the optimum update for use with OS 10.3.9. I did searches several different ways but was unable to get an on-topic response, even from Apple. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Apple's new Snow Leopard will not work with PPCs. So at some point I will have to breakdown and buy at least one new machine.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    parsecparsec Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YakkoW View Post

In my experience, it seems to be related to Flash, and as such, may not even be entirely Apple's fault. (We've already been reading about issues with Adobe's Mac plug-in.)

I recall having problems with Flash in Safari too at one point. Are you on Leopard or Tiger? I'd suggest looking for a Flash update and check your video drivers too? My Flash crashing problems might have happened the time I tried out OS X on my PC actually. Yes very naughty but it convinced me that Mac was the way and I bought a Mac Mini straight away (and sold my PC!), then upgraded 12 months later to my Alu iMac 24"

I saw a few people disagreeing with me over Firefox not being able to keep up with Safari Javascript performance longer term. Thanks for pointing out that they're even at the moment (I didn't know that) but was I was meaning is that Safari has Squirrelfish (?) coming which is an entirely new bytecode compiled system for JavaScript. It already flies, but they reckon there's plenty of headroom left for optimisation. That's why I thought longer term Safari will be ahead again
  • Reply 99 of 114
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishmaven View Post

Apple's new Snow Leopard will not work with PPCs. So at some point I will have to breakdown and buy at least one new machine.

The Developer Preview does not support PPC macs. No announcement has been made about the actual release.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I'll tell you what add-on I'm loving the most about the new Firefox3 besides the speed right now: No Squint. Look it up. It allows you to set text zoom and sizes for each individual website. So your fontsize presets that look good on one site but horrible on another are no longer an issue. This is a godsend for those of us with the small screens.

Another add-on I NEVER surf without is AdBlock Plus.