Five undisclosed features of Apple's Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

Please don't let this be true. Underlining misspelled words is good enough. Please don't correct them for me. Most of the time I mean what I typed, not what Word thinks I thought I typed.

Why would anyone take UI cues from Microsoft Word? Are they going to introduce the line you can see but for some reason can't delete as well? Or the table that used to be there but isn't there anymore but for some reason you can't reclaim the space where it used to be? Maybe the image that looks like you can drag it where you want it but will really stay exactly where it is no matter what? So many features to copy, so little time.

exactly ! don't let it happen.. Word is the worst example to follow.. a great polluter of cyberspace and a pain in the a** to use with all its "intelligent features"
  • Reply 22 of 98
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Text Edit is 22mb?!?

my thoughts exactly. not long ago, programmers were more precise. these days they are lazy and use all kind of compilers thus the huge size of files.

it started long ago, but still the best ever programmed piece is SAWStudio.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Please don't let this be true. Underlining misspelled words is good enough. Please don't correct them for me. Most of the time I mean what I typed, not what Word thinks I thought I typed.

Why would anyone take UI cues from Microsoft Word? Are they going to introduce the line you can see but for some reason can't delete as well? Or the table that used to be there but isn't there anymore but for some reason you can't reclaim the space where it used to be? Maybe the image that looks like you can drag it where you want it but will really stay exactly where it is no matter what? So many features to copy, so little time.

One of my wife's co-workers has a last name spelled "Taht". It was almost impossible for anyone to write him a letter in a Microsoft application without it coming through as "That".
  • Reply 24 of 98
    mretondomretondo Posts: 94member
    All the Text features in the world are great but I'd trade all of them for ClearType.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

blah blah blah (snip) and self-contained Web apps. blah blah blah (snip),

The H guy has already explained this. This is pockets. But it will go way beyond the 'web apps'.

See my earlier post: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=106

Taking web apps offline is just demonstrating the feature of 'putting it in your pocket'. Watch and see.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let it go, already! Don't report it as fact, when it's not fact. It's a rumor.

At this point, isn't it pretty much ALL rumor?
  • Reply 27 of 98
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Let Apple know, via http://bugreport.apple.com . I know I did the minute I read that paragraph. If they find out how many people hate this "feature", they'll have to leave it off by default, and only available for the masochists who'd actually want to turn it on.

Lack of irritating misfeatures like that is why I ended up buying Pages instead of Word 2008.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

my thoughts exactly. not long ago, programmers were more precise. these days they are lazy and use all kind of compilers thus the huge size of files.

it started long ago, but still the best ever programmed piece is SAWStudio.

Programmers have never been any more precise than forced to. We are, by nature, a lazy lot. The only thing that's changed is that RAM and disk sizes have exploded far faster than most would have predicted, and compilers haven't been able to keep up with the semantic abstractions in the programming languages.

And I disagree. The best programmed piece of software was the differential analyzer I wrote for breadboard Moto68000 microcomp that used an oscilloscope for graphing. The whole thing, including the data storage from an ultrasonic rangefinder, fit in 4kB. I'm sure others have their favorites as well.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmaletic View Post

Also: those size reductions aren't very mysterious: they're happening primarily due to the loss of PowerPC-native code in their apps.

Nope, not even close. They might be losing some space due to leaving out foreign languages. But PPC has nothing to do with it, the app builds in the 10.6 preview STILL HAVE the PPC code intact, they are universal apps.

Speaking of, any newer word on whether 10.6 will be intel only or include PPC support?
  • Reply 30 of 98
    The CUPS printing engine?? Darwin began incorporating CUPS back in Jaguar. Upgrading to CUPS 1.4 is fine, but hardly "a big new feature" in a class with others mentioned.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let it go, already! Don't report it as fact, when it's not fact. It's a rumor.

Really, that's not AI's style. They are not so much a rumour site as a bullshit site. They haven't provided us with any sort of rationale for this idea they deliver with such certitude. They confidently state some future iPhone will have an Atom processor because someone used an image on a slide, although it defies all logic. They don't have the technical nouse to develop any of these ideas as possibilities. They just throw out half baked notions based on their own ignorance.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Text Edit is 22mb?!?

You probably didn't do a clean install without the localizations. It's only 992kB on my computer with none of the translations installed. It's a shame that Safari 3 went and installed all of it's localizations when I upgraded anyway :/
  • Reply 33 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Apple's building a multi-touch spaceship!
  • Reply 34 of 98
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

One of my wife's co-workers has a last name spelled "Taht". It was almost impossible for anyone to write him a letter in a Microsoft application without it coming through as "That".

Anoying but not so hard to get around: Tell "anyone" to use a shift-space instead of a space after That .. erm.. I mean Taht . Work for me.
  • Reply 35 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

And taht was the end of taht.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple's building a multi-touch spaceship!

Ass is now being laughed off.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Anoying but not so hard to get around: Tell "anyone" to use a shift-space instead of a space after That .. erm.. I mean Taht . Work for me.

And won't it stop doing it if you add it to the dictionary?

I'm more annoyed by the windows habit of capitalizing the beginning of a line whether you want it or not...and defaulting to pasting text with style included. I'm still looking for a way to turn that off.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Mom and Dad are gonna love Snow Leopard!
  • Reply 39 of 98
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    indicates to me a new set of Frameworks and dylibs that are used across many applications instead of having custom dylibs per application that added bloat to the general applications.

More and more it's an indication of Cocoa throughout and utilizing them as they were intended to be used and re-used.

Dictionary is a classic example: For the application to drop this drastically it has to be interfacing with a database that is used by many other applications, including TextEdit, Mail.app, iWork, Finder, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And won't it stop doing it if you add it to the dictionary?

The Newton had a spiffy trick where any name in the Address Book was automatically added to the system-wide Dictionary for recognition and correction.