MacPro Upgrade: When and what?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Actually, there might be some misunderstanding. I have 6GB RAM in my G5 Dual 2.5, but I have 10 GB in my new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

The G5's can only use 8GB of ram (8 x 1GB). How are you getting 10GB?

The first G5 models only took 8GB RAM, but the rest could handle 16GB RAM.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

An enclosure change? Interesting! I hope you're right!

While Apple's at it, how about allowing the loyal Apple customer to outfit a Mac Pro with the lower-priced desktop processors for those that don't want to start off at $2,299 for a tower? I mean Xeon is great and powerful but... a desktop quad core Core 2 Processor might do the trick too for a lot of folks. And it would stop all of the bitching for people who want a tower and don't want a mini or iMac! Maybe we could actually get a Mac tower back in $1,599 range again.

The Mac Pro is a workstation, not a desktop, which is what people are "bitching" for Apple to offer. I find nothing wrong with the models that Apple is offering, but that doesn't mean there isn't a gap in the lineup. I will freely admit that if Apple offers a desktop model then sales of the iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro will be "lost" to the sales of the desktop, but they would still be sales for Apple. As with the Mac Pro, Apple would offer a base model that customers could configure.

With Apple making a stab at the corporate market (theory based on touting out-of-the-box support for Exchange server) we just might get our desktop because I do not see corporations getting either the Mac mini or iMac for their offices.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I will freely admit that if Apple offers a desktop model then sales of the iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro will be "lost" to the sales of the desktop, but they would still be sales for Apple.

If anything, an "XMac"-type machine would be a higher margin product than any of Apple's other desktops, just because of the much lower component cost.

But on the subject of the Mac Pro, the model using Nehalem processors should be one hell of a computer. Eight cores, 16 threads, and with OpenCL the graphics card will throw its number-crunching power in, too.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

But on the subject of the Mac Pro, the model using Nehalem processors should be one hell of a computer. Eight cores, 16 threads, and with OpenCL the graphics card will throw its number-crunching power in, too.

Speaking of OpenCL, what is going to happen when the GPU starts to get used to its full potential? Will OpenCL cause the GPU to produce more heat when it is used to processes whatever is processes in addition to graphics? If so, will Apple have to scale back the GPU even more than it does now to reduce the amount of heat generated?
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Speaking of OpenCL, what is going to happen when the GPU starts to get used to its full potential? Will OpenCL cause the GPU to produce more heat when it is used to processes whatever is processes in addition to graphics? If so, will Apple have to scale back the GPU even more than it does now to reduce the amount of heat generated?

It will create more heat when run at load, the same as if you were playing a game. This means its fan will spin up to a higher speed, making more noise. It will use more power. But GPUs are designed to be stressed, it won't hurt it, if that's what you're asking.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

...But GPUs are designed to be stressed, it won't hurt it, if that's what you're asking.

I am not worried about the GPU being stressed out, but the heat produced by the GPU when it is stressed out. With a tower model, be it a Dell, Compaq, Mac Pro, etc., you can use the full potential of the GPU; however, Apple is hell-bent on being thin and that affects the ability to dissipate heat properly. This in turn, affects which GPU can be used and even how much of its potential can be made available.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

I am not worried about the GPU being stressed out, but the heat produced by the GPU when it is stressed out. With a tower model, be it a Dell, Compaq, Mac Pro, etc., you can use the full potential of the GPU; however, Apple is hell-bent on being thin and that affects the ability to dissipate heat properly. This in turn, affects which GPU can be used and even how much of its potential can be made available.

You know you'll be eventually countered with "well that's good enough me so it should be good enough for everyone" and/or "Apple knows best".
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

You know you'll be eventually countered with "well that's good enough me so it should be good enough for everyone" and/or "Apple knows best".

Presumably Apple knows what the limits of the cooling systems are, and the GPUs in the iMac and Macbook Pro are underclocked. But no, it's not something you'll want to use in a laptop.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Presumably Apple knows what the limits of the cooling systems are, and the GPUs in the iMac and Macbook Pro are underclocked. But no, it's not something you'll want to use in a laptop.

Actually they're not under clocked in the iMac. Apple uses the notebook parts but gives them the desktop names. The Radeon 2600Pro is actually a Radeon Mobility 2600XT and the Geforce 8800 is an 8800M GTS.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Actually they're not under clocked in the iMac. Apple uses the notebook parts but gives them the notebook names. The Radeon 2600Pro is actually a Radeon Mobility 2600XT and the Geforce 8800 is an 8800M GTS.

Do you mean "and gives them the notebook names"?

Or

"uses the notebook parts but gives them the desktop names"?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Do you mean "and gives them the notebook names"?

Or

"uses the notebook parts but gives them the desktop names"?

The later.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Actually they're not under clocked in the iMac. Apple uses the notebook parts but gives them the desktop names. The Radeon 2600Pro is actually a Radeon Mobility 2600XT and the Geforce 8800 is an 8800M GTS.

You're right, although that accomplishes the same thing- less heat. Some people might consider it false advertising, too.