Three says Hong Kong iPhone plans to start at $24 per month

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnson167 View Post

are you sure HKBN (the first link) is free or you have to be their customer to enjoy the free wifi??? I checked out the link and there is nowhere on their web site that mentioned free wifi. I found the service plan though. Could you pls tell me where to sign up for the free wifi. thank.

It's free for public housing residents.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnson167 View Post

are you sure HKBN (the first link) is free or you have to be their customer to enjoy the free wifi??? I checked out the link and there is nowhere on their web site that mentioned free wifi. I found the service plan though. Could you pls tell me where to sign up for the free wifi. thank.

Yes.. you are right.

Some of them require you to be their customers... others sell it one an individual basis.

The best deals seem to be the ones that bundle it in with home broadband plans.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Ten days to go

Now will it be Black or White?
  • Reply 44 of 53
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It is Heart to Heart , not Heart to Hear...

Is anyone from Appleinsider reading......
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Ah - good point - hadn't really thought about that. So what do people do instead? Is the culture just to call them or are they far more engrained into sending e-mail than we are?

that's total BS - people here send SMS as much or more than anywhere. If you think texting in Chinese is a pain in the butt it's because you don't know chinese - it's as easy as english - period! I know lots of people who never call people and just SMS
  • Reply 46 of 53
    jakkjakk Posts: 15member
    I will be in HK on July 8 and I hope 3 to provide a prepaid plan for the iPhone.

So I can buy it back home....
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

that's total BS - people here send SMS as much or more than anywhere. If you think texting in Chinese is a pain in the butt it's because you don't know chinese - it's as easy as english - period! I know lots of people who never call people and just SMS

I agree that SMS in Hong Kong, in Chinese, is just as common as SMS anywhere, but I think the point the OP was trying to make was that typing a Chinese SMS specifically on an iPhone was extremely difficult.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Who plans to buy one of the first batch?

Almost with every product these days there are bugs in the first release of a gadget... Apply products are not at all immune to this.

Will you wait until they fix all the bugs, or buy anyway ?

I for one will test the Mobile.Me on my ipod first and specifically for push email.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Remember the one that I said McDonald's uses?

That's called Y5Zone.

How many of the above do you think have an agreement with Y5Zone to provide the majority of their wifi hotspots?

Answer? ALL OF THEM except iCable

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all different providers as when I switch wifi on in central I get all sorts of telcos wifi's showing up.

I did try PCCW's wifi and it was okay but not worth $98 IMO.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanchaiman View Post

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all different providers as when I switch wifi on in central I get all sorts of telcos wifi's showing up.

I did try PCCW's wifi and it was okay but not worth $98 IMO.

Yeah, exactly. Seems Y5Zone is a better value depending on where you sign up, despite the fact that they seem to have fewer hotspots.

Here's another reason Sunday was better. Sunday provided free PCCW WiFi for all subscribers. When PCCW bought Sunday, they charged $35 for unlimited WiFi for existing Sunday customers at the time. I'm still holding this grandfathered plan.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Three.com.hk website says "we are the only operator selling iPhone 3G on 11th July 2008".

Does this mean that other operators will sell it later?
  • Reply 52 of 53
    hknewshknews Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I wonder what's up with the lack of text messages. I mean even on the unlimited plan they are virtually non-existant. I think I've sent/received 50 text messages this morning alone!

Do people just not text message unless you're on the same network (I'm assuming that's what Intra SMS means)?

In HK we do not use SMS that much, the Intra SMS means within the same network
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKNews View Post

In HK we do not use SMS that much, the Intra SMS means within the same network

haha, speak for yourself. All of my friends and I use SMS every day. My wife and I probably exchange 200 in a month.