Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.4 update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Like thousands of others, my Macbook WiFi has steadily died such that it no longer works at all. So I greeted 10.5.4 with enthusiasm. After re-starting, not only have Apple failed to fix the WiFi problem (I am typing this using my emergency 3G USB dongle from Vodafone here in the UK), but I cannot sync with my Nokia N95 8G anymore and the iSync application will not run! It just sits there in the dock, and when clicked in the apps folder, won't run either.

Now my machine is almost a brick!

What the F*** Apple?
  • Reply 22 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

There are generally not any UI changes in a point update..

On the point updates, I don't remember any UI changes, ever. Maybe there was one or two when the UI had a bug in it somewhere, then fixing it might be a UI change.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    It prompted an update on the Airport Base Station Extreme to 7.3.2. EDIT: I meant to add that it upgraded the FIRMWARE to the base station itself.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    I just now downloaded 10.5.4.

This here's a purdy new MBP. Safari went from a two-bounce startup to 8. I tried a shutdown, and reboot, just in case. Same stuff. (Boot's much slower too.)

Firefox3 is much slower. Everything.

Anyone else run into this?
  • Reply 25 of 82
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

Like thousands of others, my Macbook WiFi has steadily died such that it no longer works at all. So I greeted 10.5.4 with enthusiasm. After re-starting, not only have Apple failed to fix the WiFi problem (I am typing this using my emergency 3G USB dongle from Vodafone here in the UK), but I cannot sync with my Nokia N95 8G anymore and the iSync application will not run! It just sits there in the dock, and when clicked in the apps folder, won't run either.

Now my machine is almost a brick!

What the F*** Apple?

Looking through you previous 7 posts, I really have to wonder about the sincerity of your posts.

I am still trying to figure what you meant when you stated, "Ah, my regular MacBook Black does this too!" and asked, if "Anyone else have their non MacBook Air MacBook freeze for a few seconds when running hot?"
  • Reply 26 of 82
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Finally my iCal issue is fixed!
  • Reply 27 of 82
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Does Apple expect everyone to run out and buy an iPhone?

I'm expecting half of everyone to run out and buy an iPhone!

• Reply 28 of 82
    I'm so tired of hearing about wi-fi problems, with Leopard... Try updating your router firmware, I had problems after upgrading to Leopard. My connection would last as little as five minutes before cutting out... It was very frustrating and the odd part was both my iMac and my Macbook would cut out at the same time. I tried every solution I could find posted on various forums, turning this on, turning that off, sacrificing goats, etc... finally in I tried installing a firmware update for my D-Link N wireless router, since then I have not had a single dropped signal... I talking about going from constant problem to 8 months without a problems. Maybe the problem is your routers firmware not playing nicely with Leopard, and not something on Apples side.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Not even close. That stat is half of everyone whose planning on buying a smartphone. That's still a pretty small percentage of total number of cell phones purchased every year. Believe it or not, some people just want a phone. And the few times I might find it useful to have iPhone functionality don't make up for having to carry around something as big as an iPhone when all I want it a phone.

Is it really too much to ask to be able to sync my address book to my phone? They started out really well supporting lots of phone models, but have pretty much ignored updating it the last few years.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Our router, one of the best and most popular in the world (a Netgear) has the latest firmware and works fine on all the PCs in our house, my EEE PC Linux edition and Nokia N95 8G. This is a massive bug in Apple's software - else why did all these problems only start with 10.5.2 as well documented across the net?

Apple are shooting themselves in the foot big time here - I for one am losing masses of time which is money having to use a much slower (and more pricy) method to get online.

I smell class action lawsuit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregzilm View Post

I'm so tired of hearing about wi-fi problems, with Leopard... Try updating your router firmware, I had problems after upgrading to Leopard. My connection would last as little as five minutes before cutting out... It was very frustrating and the odd part was both my iMac and my Macbook would cut out at the same time. I tried every solution I could find posted on various forums, turning this on, turning that off, sacrificing goats, etc... finally in I tried installing a firmware update for my D-Link N wireless router, since then I have not had a single dropped signal... I talking about going from constant problem to 8 months without a problems. Maybe the problem is your routers firmware not playing nicely with Leopard, and not something on Apples side.

• Reply 31 of 82
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

There are generally not any UI changes in a point update..

Plus I highly doubt there will be any major UI overhauls in 10.6 either. From the looks of the dev build.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    i suggest you go through the forums on apple's OWN website and you will see that this WiFi problem is VERY common and effecting more and more people - including some friends and family I know. And if I state that iSync no longer runs, I mean it no longer runs. And yes, like many others, the machine freezes sometimes if the machine gets hot. (Although it is possible that problem was fixed with a prior upgrade as it has stopped happening.)

You have no right to contest a posting!

If you propose a solution - which Apple have failed to do apparently, then that will be welcome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Looking through you previous 7 posts, I really have to wonder about the sincerity of your posts.

I am still trying to figure what you meant when you stated, "Ah, my regular MacBook Black does this too!" and asked, if "Anyone else have their non MacBook Air MacBook freeze for a few seconds when running hot?"

• Reply 33 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Our router, one of the best and most popular in the world (a Netgear) has the latest firmware and works fine on all the PCs in our house, my EEE PC Linux edition and Nokia N95 8G. This is a massive bug in Apple's software - else why did all these problems only start with 10.5.2 as well documented across the net?

Apple are shooting themselves in the foot big time here - I for one am losing masses of time which is money having to use a much slower (and more pricy) method to get online.

Quote:

i suggest you go through the forums on apple's OWN website and you will see that this WiFi problem is VERY common and effecting more and more people - including some friends and family I know. And if I state that iSync no longer runs, I mean it no longer runs. And yes, like many others, the machine freezes sometimes if the machine gets hot. (Although it is possible that problem was fixed with a prior upgrade as it has stopped happening.)

If you propose a solution - which Apple have failed to do apparently, then that will be welcome.

This is a general discussion forum. Not a forum for specifically helping people with problems so Abster2core is well within the rules of this forum to contest anything written here, so long as he doesn't personally attack anyone. Just as you are well within your right to contest his post.

As for your WIFi problems, the few times I've encountered anything that resembled dropout using iStumbler to see if your router's channel is conflicting with other routers in the area has been the answer. If there are routers on the same channel and you have access to alter the channel then change it and see if it's better.

Beyond that, a complete reinstall is often the answer when you have many little issues and no clear cut reason.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i just did update and firmware update on airport. everything seems fine on imac 2.33 ghz.. no speed changes that i can see and i am pretty picky. after i update i always restart twice and use xslimmer to cut down on non intel stuff. the first reboot is always slow. anyway this is in response to those that found safari and firefox slower. everything is fine on mine no network issues here.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

What the hell do your networking log files report? Research on how to configure the verosity level of them.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Wow! That is a beautiful pie chart! Numbers?
  • Reply 37 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

While I have no doubt you are experiencing these problems, the severity of them (apps not launching, overheating, etc) really does suggest something other than problems caused by an OS update. There is a chance that you are suffering from some hardware failure (motherboard issue, bad RAM, etc), file corruption, or some 3rd party software issue. For example, if you have Flip4Mac Safari plug-in installed, as soon is it loads it will start sucking up cycles and your laptop will get damn hot. Perhaps you have a bad fan and the excessive heat is locking up your machine. Or maybe your hard drive is failing prematurely.

My point is that the problems you are having could very well have nothing to do with the OS. And if you are sitting waiting for an update from Apple to fix it, you may well be digging yourself an even deeper hole by ignoring other potential causes. I suggest running Apple's hardware test (on your system DVD that came with your computer) and reinstall the OS to see if that resolves some or all of the issues you are experiencing. Until you do that, it's more or less speculation that it's an OS issue.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    If I were having really bad connection issues, and everything I tried failed to fix it - I'd be tempted to test the hypothesis that it is Leopard by booting to an external drive with Tiger and see how that goes.

If Tiger worked fine, then I'd know it wasn't hardware. I'd then revert leopard back to 10.5.0 followed by 10.5.1 etc, to see the results there. Process of elimination. I'd also borrow another router to see if that made a difference.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If I were having really bad connection issues, and everything I tried failed to fix it - I'd be tempted to test the hypothesis that it is Leopard by booting to an external drive with Tiger and see how that goes.

If Tiger worked fine, then I'd know it wasn't hardware. I'd then revert leopard back to 10.5.0 followed by 10.5.1 etc, to see the results there. Process of elimination. I'd also borrow another router to see if that made a difference.

Stop being so logical and methodical. It takes all the fun out of just bitching endlessly.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Plus I highly doubt there will be any major UI overhauls in 10.6 either. From the looks of the dev build.

Would you not consider Resolution Independence a major UI overhaul?