Moving to iPhone 3G: a guide for current and non-current AT&T customers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bostocked View Post

Questions that still need to be answered:

Who will de-box the phone? Me or the AT&T rep?

How much touching and handling of the iphone will the AT&T rep be doing during the in-store activation?

AT&T better train these boys.

Ha no doubt! With more and more "rules and regulations" pretty soon they'll be making our own calls for us!! Yay slavery! ...ugh
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gapplegapple Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

What happened to the current customers, I thought that you could re-sign a 2 year agreement to get the $199 and $299.

We should be allowed to do this since we're already customers, I wouldn't mind signing a 2 year agreement and make it active the 11th.

maclvr, you're not the only one; I agree, but I'm certainly not going to pay $200 extra to do it before being eligible to upgrade. Although a few people have noted in these comments that they would switch over from another provider, it seems like you're knocking out a big chunk of people who might be willing to upgrade except for the fact they have to pay a $200 premium for being a loyal customer. Texxors posted about how this really makes no sense a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gapple View Post

maclvr, you're not the only one; I agree, but I'm certainly not going to pay $200 extra to do it before being eligible to upgrade. Although a few people have noted in these comments that they would switch over from another provider, it seems like you're knocking out a big chunk of people who might be willing to upgrade except for the fact they have to pay a $200 premium for being a loyal customer. Texxors posted about how this really makes no sense a couple of weeks ago.

I agree that this makes no sense. As an AT&T customer, if I'm willing to sign up for a new 2 year contract, why are we treated different from a non-AT&T customer? Logic tells me we should be given preference over new customers. But I know AT&T looks at the iPhone to drive acquisition.

This is so illogical, I wonder if this is a strategy to keep the iPhone 3G inventory in check during launch and eventually open up to the existing customer base. A dumb move to piss off existing customers but not unexpected from A&T.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    firemoxfiremox Posts: 3member
    My Situation:

I am currently a AT&T customer, on a family plan with 3 lines (including me). None of the line is using first generation iphone at the moment. And I'm not eligible for upgrade at the moment.

On July 11, I want to get the IPHONE 3G. And I want to be included still in the family plan. So, 2 regular phones and 1 IPHONE 3G on one family plan. What would be the cheapest solution? I currently have a 1400 min family plan. I pay about $107 each month.

Solution 1:

Get the iphone now with the early eligible plan. Pay the 399, 499 price. This will mean that I have to re-up the contract by 2 years. So, the other two lines on my current family plan is also stuck on the new contract for two years?

Solution 2:

Wait for the no commitment iphone and pay 599, 699 price. Will I be able to use this IPHONE 3G on my current family plan? I assume that this way my current family plan does not change and I have to get the $30 data plan, and possibly texting as well.

Solution 3:

Get another line independent of the current family plan for 199, 200 price plus the cheapest contract. After one month, cancel it and reactivate the IPHONE 3G with my current line in the family plan and get the data plan with it. Will this way affect my contract length in any way?

Thank you all for the input.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I'm in a smiliar situation as Firemox, and would really like some advice. Unlike firemox, however, one phone on our account is eligible for an upgrade. Is there a way that I can purchase the upgrade on that line, but then put my current SIM card in the iPhone to get the discount? I really don't want to pay an extra $200 if I don't need to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by firemox View Post

My Situation:

I am currently a AT&T customer, on a family plan with 3 lines (including me). None of the line is using first generation iphone at the moment. And I'm not eligible for upgrade at the moment.

On July 11, I want to get the IPHONE 3G. And I want to be included still in the family plan. So, 2 regular phones and 1 IPHONE 3G on one family plan. What would be the cheapest solution? I currently have a 1400 min family plan. I pay about $107 each month.

Solution 1:

Get the iphone now with the early eligible plan. Pay the 399, 499 price. This will mean that I have to re-up the contract by 2 years. So, the other two lines on my current family plan is also stuck on the new contract for two years?

Solution 2:

Wait for the no commitment iphone and pay 599, 699 price. Will I be able to use this IPHONE 3G on my current family plan? I assume that this way my current family plan does not change and I have to get the $30 data plan, and possibly texting as well.

Solution 3:

Get another line independent of the current family plan for 199, 200 price plus the cheapest contract. After one month, cancel it and reactivate the IPHONE 3G with my current line in the family plan and get the data plan with it. Will this way affect my contract length in any way?

Thank you all for the input.

• Reply 26 of 33
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dyp View Post

I agree that this makes no sense. As an AT&T customer, if I'm willing to sign up for a new 2 year contract, why are we treated different from a non-AT&T customer? Logic tells me we should be given preference over new customers. But I know AT&T looks at the iPhone to drive acquisition.

As pointed out in the other threads you aren't being treated differently. You have an existing contract. If you had a new phone with Verizon, you'd pay the $175 cost for breaking your contract to get a new iPhone.

If you have a new phone with AT&T, you'd pay the $175 cost for breaking your contract to get a new iPhone.

The point being it doesn't matter WHO you got your current subsidized phone from. You can either finish your agreement or pay the breakage fee. Odds are, if you are close, they'll go ahead and let you upgrade after the initial rush.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beamer2000 View Post

I'm in a smiliar situation as Firemox, and would really like some advice. Unlike firemox, however, one phone on our account is eligible for an upgrade. Is there a way that I can purchase the upgrade on that line, but then put my current SIM card in the iPhone to get the discount? I really don't want to pay an extra $200 if I don't need to.

You guys are asking questions only AT&T knows. Even the average CSR might not know today. I just noticed I'm on a FAN account (but no obvious discount) so I'll have to call to see if I can upgrade on my current family account.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tobyfootetobyfoote Posts: 15member
    I don't remember Steve Jobs putting an asterick next to $199 and $299 during his WWDC speech. Are Apple and AT&T charging different prices for AT&T customer currently under contract? This will seriously hurt Apple's goal of 10 million iPhone sales in 2008. I feel like I was lied to. This iPhone 3G is getting more expensive every time I read a new article.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    This whole eligibility rule is such BS. I have been a Cingular / ATT member since 96...and I am not eligible to upgrade my phone until November, because I upgraded and purchased a new razor a year and a half ago?? This is proposterous....I have never defaulted on my bill...etc...yet...I am forced to wait. So much for customer loyalty.....
  • Reply 30 of 33
    maria255maria255 Posts: 32member
    Today I went to the Apple Store located in the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, New Jersey, to have my credit check done before July 11 as suggested in this thread. I was told they were unable to do a credit check and suggested that I go to the AT&T store also located in the Mall. At the AT&T store I was initially told I could not do a credit check. Then they said I could do one but it would not be valid for the July 11th purchase of the iPhone. So I would have to do it again when I went to actually purchase the phone.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KidTnT27 View Post

This whole eligibility rule is such BS. I have been a Cingular / ATT member since 96...and I am not eligible to upgrade my phone until November, because I upgraded and purchased a new razor a year and a half ago?? This is proposterous....I have never defaulted on my bill...etc...yet...I am forced to wait. So much for customer loyalty.....

Jeez, if you're 4 months out, just wait a week after launch and go in the store and see what they'll do for you. I know that I got a new phone 6 months early when I broke my old one. It was like no big deal, they just did it.

Now, they likely won't do it for you on day one but I doubt you'll wait more than a month or so. After a month you'll be within 3 months and things will have cooled off a bit anyway.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    pazhampazham Posts: 1member
    Just curious, how much would it cost to sign a contract with ATnT (3GiPhone) and break it in 2 months.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    dypdyp Posts: 33member
    Does anyone know how iPhone will be priced for those of us that have a plan with AT&T for only the SIM card and no phone?