Segway CTO departs for leadership role on Apple's design team

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

That's a non issue where I work. If my box dies they replace it with another one. They don't fix any hardware. They send it all out. Maybe it impacts TCO but no one where I work is pulling out a screwdriver to swap a harddrive or motherboard.

Not everyone works where you work. You still need to repair the original machine so it can be used as a spare for someone else. What if you run out of spares? If the user has data on the hard drive and the computer won't turn on, then you either take out the hard drive or tell the user they are screwed. Not every business has networked home directories. Not every business has an unlimited number of spare computers available at a moment's notice. Unfortunately, not everyone gets to work in an ideal dream environment where anything gets replaced if even a single speck of dust falls on it. Some large corporations do have in house technicians who have to do repairs on site. Ignoring the issue does not make it any less significant. Whether you do repairs yourself or wait on someone else, it still means the computer is down. Sitting around and saying "Why should corporations do repairs? Just replace it." is not helpful.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    So I'm too lazy to google, but what does Jonathan Ive do now? I thought he was heading product design. Could he be now groomed to be next in line?
  • Reply 43 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by contempt View Post

So I'm too lazy to google, but what does Jonathan Ive do now? I thought he was heading product design. Could he be now groomed to be next in line?

The article states "a vice president" while Ive is a senior VP. Even with this removed, I think Ive is the best known candidate for Job's replacement.