'Huge demand' forces O2 to pull plug on iPhone 3G pre-orders

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post


    Damn, O2's prices are amazing.



    I take it you mean amazingly expensive? I'm on O2 just now with a 12 month contract which only costs £20 month and includes 400 any time any network minutes, 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS or a combination thereof) and a handset. What's the incentive for me to pay for the phone as well as an extra 15 quid per month and end up with fewer minutes and SMS and lose the ability to MMS altogether?



    I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Yes, they should have been able to keep current with orders.



    hehe, I got it
  • Reply 23 of 58
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post


    Your reasons are nonsense.



    There is simply no way there will be a drop in prices in the next 2 - 4 weeks. They did it with the first one and there was outrage. With the amount of emphasis they have put on the price, it won't move until the next revision comes out. And any problems found with the phone initially with be fixed with software updates, so you're at no advantage there either by waiting.



    Easy there... He's just saying that 1) he won't have to deal with any of the potential problems since, as you pointed out, there are software updates and 2) he's not saying the phone is going to sell for $80 less, he's saying it's going to cost him $80 less because right now he's not paying a dime for a cell phone so - that's $80 that he would have spent
  • Reply 24 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post


    D'oh! \



    Check eBay, maybe you can still sell it. After all, there are only 22 countries getting the 3G iPhone come Friday. I offered free worldwide shipping with insurance (cost about $35) to appeal to those in countries who won't have access to the iPhone. I had an 8GB model that I bought for $400 and sold for $485. The buyer was from Slovokia (a popular country for scammers) so I wouldn't ship unless he would use an 'eligible' address so I could be protected via PayPal.



    He was quite vocal about assurances that he was not a scammer, but when I after I refunded his money I heard nary a word from him, even though I then offered the device to him for $400 via a money order. I re-listed the device and added a stipulation that the address be confirmed/eligible for seller protection. Since I did this only last week, which was only 12 days until the new iPhone release i put in a Buy Now price of $440... it sold within a 2 hours of listing. Oddly, it was sold to the UK.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.



    Usabilty aside, you have to look at the cost of the handset. Since O2 is offering the iphone for either £99 or for free, and the full retail price is considerably higher, you have to compare it to the full retail price of the phone they gave you for free.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    I take it you mean amazingly expensive? I'm on O2 just now with a 12 month contract which only costs £20 month and includes 400 any time any network minutes, 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS or a combination thereof) and a handset. What's the incentive for me to pay for the phone as well as an extra 15 quid per month and end up with fewer minutes and SMS and lose the ability to MMS altogether?



    I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.



    I kind of hear what you are saying -- but I think a good thing to bear in mind if you are comparing is that you also get access to the internet at near broadband speeds - anywhere.



    So for the extra £10 / mo. it might be worth it for some, even you.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    I take it you mean amazingly expensive? I'm on O2 just now with a 12 month contract which only costs £20 month and includes 400 any time any network minutes, 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS or a combination thereof) and a handset. What's the incentive for me to pay for the phone as well as an extra 15 quid per month and end up with fewer minutes and SMS and lose the ability to MMS altogether?



    I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.



    Nope - he's saying they are, compared to virtually every other country, cheap. Very cheap... Granted the 30 plan is crap but the rest are pretty good rates - even with the exchange rate of USD to GBP being 2:1. The 600 min, 500 text plan is (including exchange rate) cheaper than AT&T's 450 mins, 200 text plan. 35(x2)GBP vs 75USD and you get 33% more mins and 150% more text's...
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    I take it you mean amazingly expensive? I'm on O2 just now with a 12 month contract which only costs £20 month and includes 400 any time any network minutes, 1000 SMS (or 250 MMS or a combination thereof) and a handset. What's the incentive for me to pay for the phone as well as an extra 15 quid per month and end up with fewer minutes and SMS and lose the ability to MMS altogether?



    I don't understand the iPhone hype at all. I really don't get it.



    It's called the data and WiFI. Does your plan include either of those? No. Upgrade to 600 mins, add the free WiFi and then add data, and you're basically at a very similar price.



    The iPhone is pretty good value all in all.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post


    I kind of hear what you are saying -- but I think a good thing to bear in mind if you are comparing is that you also get access to the internet at near broadband speeds - anywhere.



    So for the extra £10 / mo. it might be worth it for some, even you.



    Yeah, I suppose it might be worth it for some people, but I have to say that I can't remember the last time I was so desperate to look something up on the web that it couldn't wait til I either got to work or got home. It's clearly a very popular item though, so I'm obviously not the target audience. Still, I'm not a total loss to them as Apple managed to wangle the money out of me for an iPod touch!
  • Reply 30 of 58
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Check eBay, maybe you can still sell it. After all, there are only 22 countries getting the 3G iPhone come Friday. I offered free worldwide shipping with insurance (cost about $35) to appeal to those in countries who won't have access to the iPhone. I had an 8GB model that I bought for $400 and sold for $485. The buyer was from Slovokia (a popular country for scammers) so I wouldn't ship unless he would use an 'eligible' address so I could be protected via PayPal.



    He was quite vocal about assurances that he was not a scammer, but when I after I refunded his money I heard nary a word from him, even though I then offered the device to him for $400 via a money order. I re-listed the device and added a stipulation that the address be confirmed/eligible for seller protection. Since I did this only last week, which was only 12 days until the new iPhone release i put in a Buy Now price of $440... it sold within a 2 hours of listing. Oddly, it was sold to the UK.



    That's good news for me. Thanks for posting!
  • Reply 31 of 58
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post


    Total fail on the Pay/Go thing. Not available on that unti, get this, around CHRISTMAS



    Really? Oh arse. My trusty SE p910i gets to live another 6 months and I'd been dropping it a lot 'accidentally' along with hints about my birthday on the 16th too.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    This is ridiculous. People who already have an iPhone can ONLY upgrade online. So why the hell are they letting people who can go into any O2 or Carphone Warehouse store and pick one up pre-order??
  • Reply 33 of 58
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post


    Really? Oh arse. My trusty SE p910i gets to live another 6 months



    Oh god, I have one of those, such a brick.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Yes, they should have been able to keep current with orders.



    There will be a revolt!



    C.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    There will be a revolt!.



    What do you have in mind, something similar to the Boston Tea Party? That seemed to be effective.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    Yeah, I suppose it might be worth it for some people, but I have to say that I can't remember the last time I was so desperate to look something up on the web that it couldn't wait til I either got to work or got home. It's clearly a very popular item though, so I'm obviously not the target audience. Still, I'm not a total loss to them as Apple managed to wangle the money out of me for an iPod touch!



    The thing is, the internet browsing on the iphone is shit hot. Which means that you are far more likely to browse the web on the go than you would ever have been with a shitty browser as shipped by Nokia et al.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    There will be a revolt!



    C.



    Many people will be shocked if that happens.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    Many people will be shocked if that happens.



    I'm not as bright as you guys, but I'm charged up by the conversation.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post


    Yeah, I suppose it might be worth it for some people, but I have to say that I can't remember the last time I was so desperate to look something up on the web that it couldn't wait til I either got to work or got home. It's clearly a very popular item though, so I'm obviously not the target audience. Still, I'm not a total loss to them as Apple managed to wangle the money out of me for an iPod touch!



    Yes, but if you had one for one month, you'd find out that it isn't about being desperate to seeing something while on the road. It is about developing the desire or the assumption that you could.



    Do you want to go back to black and white monitors?
  • Reply 40 of 58
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post


    Anyone still think the first gen iPhones will be worth more over time? I've got one, a 4 GB.



    Sure. eBay has them going for $350-500. Those that can't get them due to carrier, will pay the money to get an unlocked one. New ones are selling for $500 while used ones $350-400.



    Not bad really as it will buy a new iPhone, the upgrade charge and the increase in monthly for the first year.



    Mine is being adopted by my brother.
Sign In or Register to comment.