Apple says MobileMe service to go live Wednesday evening

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    And yes, Steve did tell us around 3 months ago. The event was called the "march 6 iPhone roadmap event."
  • Reply 22 of 38
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tPosts: 5,004

Is that for real??
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Apple hasn't said if or when it will ultimately phase out .Mac permanently, but has so far promised to let users keep at least their @mac.com e-mail addresses and transition over to @me.com only when they're ready to make the change themselves.

This is very confusing. They haven't said when it will ultimately phase out .Mac? Surely when MobileMe takes over, then that's the end of .Mac - how can there be two services when you log in? Don't get it.

Promised to keep their mac.com email until they've made the transition? I think a lot of .Mac users are not interested at all in the me.com address. It's "cute" and all, but I'd prefer mac.com any day.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

This is very confusing. They haven't said when it will ultimately phase out .Mac? Surely when MobileMe takes over, then that's the end of .Mac - how can there be two services when you log in? Don't get it.

Promised to keep their mac.com email until they've made the transition? I think a lot of .Mac users are not interested at all in the me.com address. It's "cute" and all, but I'd prefer mac.com any day.

Don't worry! Apple have said that .mac members will be able to keep their existing .mac email addresses and also their iChat addresses and run them in tandem.

Full details at http://www.apple.com/uk/mobileme/migrating/
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacaholic View Post

Don't worry! Apple have said that .mac members will be able to keep their existing .mac email addresses and also their iChat addresses and run them in tandem.

Full details at http://www.apple.com/uk/mobileme/migrating/

Good to know, thanks. However the way AI put it, makes it sound as if Apple have hinted that they will ditch the mac.com domain as soon as it has managed to remove people from using it.

I actually cancelled my .Mac address some months ago after it became too expensive to justify. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone and so am tempted to come back. I wouldn't really care to have a me.com address though.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    knowltonknowlton Posts: 11member
    Isn't a free trial of MobileMe coming out?

Wednesday? possibly?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    steleeuksteleeuk Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knowlton View Post

Wednesday? possibly?

Id say 100% chance yup.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    robmackrobmack Posts: 10member
    I notice that the dotmac outage has moved from 6pm to 8pm
  • Reply 29 of 38
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Good to know, thanks. However the way AI put it, makes it sound as if Apple have hinted that they will ditch the mac.com domain as soon as it has managed to remove people from using it.

I actually cancelled my .Mac address some months ago after it became too expensive to justify. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone and so am tempted to come back. I wouldn't really care to have a me.com address though.

I would guess a lot of folks are never going to get rid of @mac.com in favor of @me.com. I don't plan on doing it and I see no reason why I would unless they just shut of mac.com addresses at some point in the future. @me.com sounds silly to me.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Knowlton View Post

Wednesday? possibly?

SJ said that everyone will get the 60 days trial. I hope this also include people (me included) who signed up for .Mac trial but never renew.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Well, .Mac is now down.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auslander View Post

Well, .Mac is now down.

Any time now! I can't wait. Mobile ME and iPhone 2.0, and iTunes 7.7 should be amazing.

Steve
  • Reply 33 of 38
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    2:45am Pacific Time and no Mobile Me. Looks like we're running a bit behind schedule.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    iTunes 7.7 is now available via software update, so it's slowly happening.

• Reply 35 of 38
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Not a good sign. No advanced notice to their customers (if I had not read it here I would not have known they were planning on taking down the service), and it's now Thursday morning is here and service still it not restored.

MobileMe had better be fast and rock-solid. For a paid service .Mac has certainly not had a good showing lately.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yea. Thursday morning and no mobile me?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    It was up for while, but then went off-line again.

I hope they get this sorted out, soon.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

I would guess a lot of folks are never going to get rid of @mac.com in favor of @me.com. I don't plan on doing it and I see no reason why I would unless they just shut of mac.com addresses at some point in the future. @me.com sounds silly to me.

If they make me change my address then .me had better be so spiffy that I can't drop the service otherwise she's gone in an instant.