iPhone 3G plans to start at $60 in New Zealand, $44 in Mexico

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Due to their geographical location, New Zealanders will be the first in the world to have the opportunity to purchase an iPhone 3G on Friday (Thursday morning Eastern time), and Vodafone has just announced plans for the region starting at $60 per month. Meanwhile, Telcel of Mexico has also unveiled its iPhone plans, which start at $44 per month.

Vodafone of New Zealand

Vodafone New Zealand will kick-off the worldwide iPhone 3G launch at 12:01 a.m. local time Friday (or 8:01 Eastern time Thursday) at three of its local retail stores -- Auckland City, Wellington, and Christchurch. Plans with 24-month contracts will start at $60 (NZD $80) for an "iPhone 250" offering that includes 120 minutes, 600 text messages and 250MB of data. The entry level plan prices the 8GB iPhone at $415 (NZD $549) and the 16GB model at $528 (NZD $699).

A mid-range iPhone 500 plan is priced at $98 (NZD $130) and includes 250 minutes, 600 text messages and 500MB of data. iPhones with this plan are priced at $339 (NZD $449) for the 8GB model and $453 (NZD $599) for the 16GB model.

The top-tier iPhone 1GB plan is priced at $189 (NZD $250) and includes 600 minutes, 600 text messages, and 1GB of data. With this plan, an 8GB iPhone fetches $150 (NZD $199) and a 16GB iPhone costs $264 (NZD $359).

Additional minutes cost between $0.40 and $0.52 (NZD $0.53 - $0.69), depending on the plan. Extra text messages fetch $0.15 (NZD $0.20) and each additional MB of data costs $0.075 (NZD $0.10), except on the top-tier plan where each additional MB costs just $0.02 (NZD $0.03).

Vodafone New Zealand is also offering the iPhone 3G without a contract at $740 (NZD $979) for the 8GB model and $853 (NZD $1129) for the 16GB model. Data plans for no-contract iPhones are priced at $22.63 (NZD $29.95) for 200MB per month, or $37.74 (NZD $49.95) for 1GB of data per month.

Telcel of Mexico

Separately, Telcel of Mexico has also announced three iPhone plans with 24-month contracts that start at $44 (MXN $459) for a package that includes 200 minutes, 100 text messages and 100MB of data. The 8GB iPhone is priced at $331 (MXN $3419) with this plan and the 16GB model is priced at $454 (MXN $4689).

For $58 (MXN $599) per month, subscribers get 300 minutes, 150 text messages and 150MB of data. With this plan, the 8GB iPhone costs $209 (MXN $2159) and the 16GB iPhone costs $331 (MXN $3419).

Telcel's top-tier plan is priced at $77 (MXN $799) and offers 400 minutes, 200 text messages and 200MB of data. iPhones with this plan are priced at $86 (MXN $889) for the 8GB model and $209 (MXN $2159) for the 16GB model.

Additional minutes to land lines and other Telcel subscribers are priced at $0.11 (MXN $1.15), while those to other carriers cost $0.33 (MXN $3.45). Each additional KB of data costs $0.003 (MXN $0.04), and each additional text message costs $0.08 (MXN $0.85)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jcgnujcgnu Posts: 11member
    Although there is no unlimited-data plan for the iPhone in Mexico, you can add 52 dollars (579 pesos) to any of those packages and get unlimited data....
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Bah, these iPhone plans are sh*t. I knew Vodafone would screw us when it came to data, but I was really hoping for an unlimited 3G plan
  • Reply 4 of 21
    rockyrocky Posts: 2member
    seem in some countries such as new Zealand steve jobs statement of $199 worldwide on contract only applies the the most expensive contract.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    joeygeejoeygee Posts: 6member
    Vodafone sucks..

I really wanted to buy one.. and i was counting down the days until it becomes available.. and how they ruined everything...

Thieves.. that's all i can say!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeyGee View Post

Vodafone sucks..

I really wanted to buy one.. and i was counting down the days until it becomes available.. and how they ruined everything...

Thieves.. that's all i can say!

wow , this is raping , RAPING all i can say about this. i know iPOd was more expensive than other players and still took off big , but these pricing plans are just absurd. ( and not just these , 90% iphone plans are insane. o2 and at&t are the only ones i'd be willing to accept )
  • Reply 7 of 21
    n1ckedn1cked Posts: 2member
    These plans are ridiculous. The 1GB plan (the largest) will cost $6000NZ - $4500US over 2 yrs. High contrast to O2 in europe with unlimited data and calling plans a free phone and still cheaper. This is worse than Canada. See the plans and digg this story - http://digg.com/apple/New_Zealand_3G...se_than_Canada.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    I posted this originally in the thread about Portugal/Italy, but I thought I should include it here too since many won't read that post and I feel it's important info... If this is against forum rules, I apologize.

------------------------

In this test, I'm focusing on the data use from normal web browsing.

I only ran the test on randomly-choosen *subpages* of the websites AKA NOT THE LONG AND GRAPHIC HEAVY FRONT PAGES, and the chosen sub-pages usually consisted of an article page or forum page, and most had zero flash elements. Just look at how large the average page size is for these popular websites I go to:

engadget.com (blog post subpage) 420KB

yahoo.com (news article subpage) 585KB

nytimes.com (news article subpage) 345KB

seedmagazine.com (article subpage) 223KB

discovermagazine.com (article subpage) 731KB

livescience.com (article subpage) 438KB

tgdaily.com (article subpage) 253KB

technologyreview.com (article subpage) 247KB

macrumors.com (forum page) 217KB

tmz.com (blog post subpage) 433KB

Average sub-page data size: 389KB/page.

So, using an iPhone with different 3G browsing limits, you can view:

100MB /30 = 3.3 MB per day = 8 web page views per day

250MB /30 = 8.3 MB per day = 21 web page views per day

300MB /30 = 10 MB per day = 25 web page views per day

600MB /30 = 20 MB per day = 51 web page views per day

1.0 GB /30 = 33.3 MB per day = 85 web page views per day

5.0 GB /30 = 166.7 MB per day = 428 web page views per day

Think of how fast you can zip through different webpages with a 3G phone getting 600-1200 kbps. You could easily view the 21 pages per day of the 250MB/month data plan in 10 minutes!

And remember, this doesn't even include all the other things people will be doing that use data:

* Google Maps (especially now with GPS!) - Very easy to use many MBs in one quick session of scrolling around a map. Have a route-following GPS navigation for 15 minutes could easily use 25MB.

* Sending and Receiving Email and attachments - Remember, No MMS for pictures! Other office-type and PDF documents will be sent around as well.

* Uploading Photos - Flickr, MobileMe etc.

* Online Chat via AIM/MSN/SKYPE

* Viewing Youtube, MMS-type video, and other online video - video can quickly use A LOT of bandwidth. 3-7 seconds per MB.

* Downloading applications and games

* Online multiplayer gaming

* Internet radio streaming

* Downloading music and video

Not to even mention all the native applications that will require internet access and server access to function....

I hope that many of these countries are able to get a better allotment of data usage on their plans in the future. I'm sure all the telecom companies just aren't used to hardly any data being used on their networks so they've kept prices high. Hopefully that will change with the iPhone and they'll realize how popular data usage will be and lower the rates as the volume of users using data increases.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    must say, looking at these prices around the world, the GSM competition must laugh their ass off.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I guess these carriers are making an attempt to cash in on the "heroin effect" (ie people want the iphone so much they will be willing to pay anything)

For those prices it would probably be cheaper to buy a month worth of real heroin, a shitty prepaid nokia phone and make several 4 hour phone calls to... i don't know... God.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Wow, the prices these plans are asking, I wouldn't sign the contract if the iPhone was genuinely given away for FREE.

Is everybody sure Apple has walked away from revenue sharing with the carriers, for there sure is room to hand Apple plenty at those rates.

Maybe when Apple said it wasn't married to to the revenue model, they have chosen different tactics in different markets. It will probably work until someone unlocks iPhone 3G, then ebay will flood with them.

Looking around at most of the plans on offer in various countries, they all seem expensive for me, not to mention complex.

My ideal offer would be $500 buys me a phone, then $50 - $70 / month total running costs. Say 30 mins talk/day and 30 mins of solid web use. So, though I am looking, I don't think I'll find that till 2010 - 12.

The iPhone is a great device --- it's just too darn expensive to run.

Its obvious to me now, that wireless data has got to come down massively in cost before there is widespread adoption of not just the iPhone but the smart phone market in general.

Its no wonder the numbers being reported as available in our Australian stores seem very low. Maybe Apple is stage managing availability so it can be reported by end of next week "iPHONE SOLD OUT IN 19 of 20 MARKETS" kind of headlines. It will take a month for the market to settle down to some kind of predictable rhythm.

I'll have to wait until iPhone Nano comes out in October, and carriers look around at their international brethren and analyses what worked and what didn't.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    n1ckedn1cked Posts: 2member
    You have to see and digg this video of New Zealand Reporter absolutly slamming Vodafone NZ Marketing Rep RE the pricing in NZ. http://digg.com/apple/Vodafone_NZ_Sl...s_iPhone_Plans
  • Reply 13 of 21
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I posted this originally in the thread about Portugal/Italy, but I thought I should include it here too since many won't read that post and I feel it's important info... If this is against forum rules, I apologize.

------------------------

In this test, I'm focusing on the data use from normal web browsing.

I only ran the test on randomly-choosen *subpages* of the websites AKA NOT THE LONG AND GRAPHIC HEAVY FRONT PAGES, and the chosen sub-pages usually consisted of an article page or forum page, and most had zero flash elements. Just look at how large the average page size is for these popular websites I go to:

engadget.com (blog post subpage) 420KB

yahoo.com (news article subpage) 585KB

nytimes.com (news article subpage) 345KB

seedmagazine.com (article subpage) 223KB

discovermagazine.com (article subpage) 731KB

livescience.com (article subpage) 438KB

tgdaily.com (article subpage) 253KB

technologyreview.com (article subpage) 247KB

macrumors.com (forum page) 217KB

tmz.com (blog post subpage) 433KB

Average sub-page data size: 389KB/page.

So, using an iPhone with different 3G browsing limits, you can view:

100MB /30 = 3.3 MB per day = 8 web page views per day

250MB /30 = 8.3 MB per day = 21 web page views per day

300MB /30 = 10 MB per day = 25 web page views per day

600MB /30 = 20 MB per day = 51 web page views per day

1.0 GB /30 = 33.3 MB per day = 85 web page views per day

5.0 GB /30 = 166.7 MB per day = 428 web page views per day

Think of how fast you can zip through different webpages with a 3G phone getting 600-1200 kbps. You could easily view the 21 pages per day of the 250MB/month data plan in 10 minutes!

And remember, this doesn't even include all the other things people will be doing that use data:

* Google Maps (especially now with GPS!) - Very easy to use many MBs in one quick session of scrolling around a map. Have a route-following GPS navigation for 15 minutes could easily use 25MB.

* Sending and Receiving Email and attachments - Remember, No MMS for pictures! Other office-type and PDF documents will be sent around as well.

* Uploading Photos - Flickr, MobileMe etc.

* Online Chat via AIM/MSN/SKYPE

* Viewing Youtube, MMS-type video, and other online video - video can quickly use A LOT of bandwidth. 3-7 seconds per MB.

* Downloading applications and games

* Online multiplayer gaming

* Internet radio streaming

* Downloading music and video

Not to even mention all the native applications that will require internet access and server access to function....

I hope that many of these countries are able to get a better allotment of data usage on their plans in the future. I'm sure all the telecom companies just aren't used to hardly any data being used on their networks so they've kept prices high. Hopefully that will change with the iPhone and they'll realize how popular data usage will be and lower the rates as the volume of users using data increases.

Interesting. As a comparison, the following is part of an account (http://johnbiehler.com/2008/06/27/a-...ata-plan-math/) that resulted in using about 15MB per day.

"I reset the data counter before I put my AT&T sim into the iPhone and turned off wifi so this is just today?s usage. This is a couple hours of web surfing, checking three email accounts every 15 minutes, a bunch of google maps lookups and sending a few photos to Flickr. No Youtube."

Currently, the wireless industry is referencing the only published daily usage per the average iPhone user, i.e., AT&T at 100MB per day, which is about 30 times the daily data usage by those that had such plans previously to the introduction of the iPhone. Note that AT&T have stated that this was significantly above what they originally projected.

Obviously, most of the international iPhone plans are using the 100MB per day usage as a guide for pricing out their plans. Certainly, the idea that the new iPhone will cause even more drain on the networks, is being taken into account.

However, what seems to be missing here when calculation usage, is the role of Wi-Fi. The iPhone, 3G in particular, wouldn't be coming if it weren't for the fact that it runs on Wi-Fi. Jobs has already made it impossible to download from the iTunes Store and files over 10MB using 3g, As we have also heard, Steve is a major proponent of Wi-Fi as evidenced in the iPhone, which has been designed to automatically switch to available Wi-Fi connections to not only speed up downloading data, but to reduce the load on your wireless service, i.e, 3g or Edge.

As such, using the iPhone for everything except phoning from home, work/offices, ariports, hotels, Starbucks, carrier's hot spots, etc., will be accessing data vi Wi-Fi and not affecting your Data Plan. It's not only free, but a heck of a lot faster.

I guess the question is, just how much time in the day will you have in the day to use your 3G downloading data?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    The interesting thing about all of this is now, most of us anyway, aren't mad at Apple anymore. There isn't going to be article after article about how absurd the price is of the iPhone and how it's Apple's fault. All the negative press seems to be directed at the carriers. Sure Apple could have come down on them harder to make the prices more reasonable but that also varies from country to country. Many Brits are pissed about the O2 plans because they are so much more expensive than the current plans even tho to the rest of the world they are cheap.

Side note - Apple should have negotiated a MINIMUM of 250MB of Data - ideally the min should really be 500MB but at least 250MB would be better than that 100MB crap. I wonder how much AT&T would have charged if they didn't force everyone to buy unlimited data...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

The interesting thing about all of this is now, most of us anyway, aren't mad at Apple anymore. There isn't going to be article after article about how absurd the price is of the iPhone and how it's Apple's fault. All the negative press seems to be directed at the carriers. Sure Apple could have come down on them harder to make the prices more reasonable but that also varies from country to country. Many Brits are pissed about the O2 plans because they are so much more expensive than the current plans even tho to the rest of the world they are cheap.

Side note - Apple should have negotiated a MINIMUM of 250MB of Data - ideally the min should really be 500MB but at least 250MB would be better than that 100MB crap. I wonder how much AT&T would have charged if they didn't force everyone to buy unlimited data...

I'm a brit and I'm not pissed off in the least.

Already pay £35/month to O2 for my Nokia 6300 for 600 mins/500 texts. I'll just be paying £159 for my iPhone on Friday morning and off I go, no change in monthly outgoings but a lot more bang for my buck.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

I'm a brit and I'm not pissed off in the least.

Already pay £35/month to O2 for my Nokia 6300 for 600 mins/500 texts. I'll just be paying £159 for my iPhone on Friday morning and off I go, no change in monthly outgoings but a lot more bang for my buck.

Precisely, the UK iphone plan is a great deal. Brits should only be pissed off (the other way" that their regular priced monthly plans are expensive.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Interesting. As a comparison, the following is part of an account (http://johnbiehler.com/2008/06/27/a-...ata-plan-math/) that resulted in using about 15MB per day.

"I reset the data counter before I put my AT&T sim into the iPhone and turned off wifi so this is just today?s usage. This is a couple hours of web surfing, checking three email accounts every 15 minutes, a bunch of google maps lookups and sending a few photos to Flickr. No Youtube."

Currently, the wireless industry is referencing the only published daily usage per the average iPhone user, i.e., AT&T at 100MB per day, which is about 30 times the daily data usage by those that had such plans previously to the introduction of the iPhone. Note that AT&T have stated that this was significantly above what they originally projected.

Obviously, most of the international iPhone plans are using the 100MB per day usage as a guide for pricing out their plans. Certainly, the idea that the new iPhone will cause even more drain on the networks, is being taken into account.

However, what seems to be missing here when calculation usage, is the role of Wi-Fi. The iPhone, 3G in particular, wouldn't be coming if it weren't for the fact that it runs on Wi-Fi. Jobs has already made it impossible to download from the iTunes Store and files over 10MB using 3g, As we have also heard, Steve is a major proponent of Wi-Fi as evidenced in the iPhone, which has been designed to automatically switch to available Wi-Fi connections to not only speed up downloading data, but to reduce the load on your wireless service, i.e, 3g or Edge.

As such, using the iPhone for everything except phoning from home, work/offices, ariports, hotels, Starbucks, carrier's hot spots, etc., will be accessing data vi Wi-Fi and not affecting your Data Plan. It's not only free, but a heck of a lot faster.

I guess the question is, just how much time in the day will you have in the day to use your 3G downloading data?

A day of using the iPhone including a "couple hours" of web surfing and a "bunch" of google maps lookups would seem to take more than 15MB, but it probably depends on what is being viewed, and certainly HSDPA vs EDGE will have an effect. Lets say in the case of viewing Appleinsider forum pages or nytimes articles, it sure won't take long to go through 15MB. I agree that for many, WiFi will be a boon, but a significant amount of subscribers (including me) don't have open WiFi networks every where they go. I'm sure it depends on one's mode of travel and how urban their environment is. Obviously this will be much more relevant to the carriers that offer their iPhone customers access to nationwide WiFi hotspot networks.

On another note, is that figure really 100MB/day for an average AT&T iPhone user? That's seems high for an "average user" especially considering slow EDGE access. Do you have a source for that? I'll try google
  • Reply 18 of 21
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Where the fuck do vodafone get their pricing from ?

Jeez - they are too fucking hungry.

Bunch of wanky marketing execs all giving each other head in the john and agreeing how clever they are.

Fuck 'em.

Maybe too many old favours to repay first - before they grudgingly supply the market at prices people can afford.

Honestly the telco's here in NZ just suck.

Too greedy ...

Their catchy marketing phrase says it all

"vowdafowne - make the mowst of now."

Bring on the unlocked 3G !

edit: ohhh, looky here.

http://vodafonenz.custhelp.com/cgi-b...nduser/ask.php

Have a bleat at them directly !
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    250 bucks for 1 gig of data???? Ay????

This is a joke, right?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    The NZ iPhone plans are CHEAPER than existing cellphone plans from Vodafone NZ.

Taking the iPhone 250 plan (NZ$80 per month) as an example: if you got a "You Choose" plan with the same number of minutes talk time, text messages, and slightly less data (200 MB instead of 250), it would cost you NZ$22.85 a month more. With discounts for a two year contract, the iPhone would cost another NZ$180 up front. Data charges over the monthly limit would also be five times higher.

The other two iPhone plans have similar discounts compared to corresponding You Choose plans.

The $250 a month plan ("iPhone 1 GB") includes 600 minutes of outgoing calls, which is the main reason it costs so much.

Cellphones in NZ are horribly expensive for voice and data. The new iPhone plans only improve things a little.

There are cheaper monthly fee options: NZ$50 per month gets you 20 minutes of outgoing calls and 200 MB of data.

If you drop mobile data (limiting the iPhone to WiFi for data access), the minimum price is NZ$20 per month for 20 minutes of outgoing calls, and no contract term (iPhone at full price of NZ$979 for the 8 GB model).

If you want more data you could get 20 minutes of outgoing calls and 1 GB of data for NZ$70 per month.