Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro casing design revealed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Why don't they also make the optical drive removable like the Powerbook G3. People who don't need the optical drive should be able to take it out and put in a second battery.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

So, finally, the new MacBook Pro is no longer a figment of rumor-merchants' imaginations. It's real.

Hooray! At last!

A lighter version than the existing model? Design styling cues taken from the MacBook Air including the black backlit keyboard?

It gets better. Fantastic! I will buy one as soon as it comes out.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on the likely specs?

Possible processor speeds are 2.53, 2.8, and 3.06 GHz.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    And one other thing that doesn't make this appear too "pro" is that if the battery goes bad and you have to use it without a battery, you're going to throw off the balance of the machine because two feet are missing? The MacBook's battery doesn't span the length of the machine to include the feet.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    dfndfn Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post

So, finally, the new MacBook Pro is no longer a figment of rumor-merchants' imaginations. It's real.

Hooray! At last!

When its in my hands I'll believe it, till then this is all rumour and speculation. Still be nice if a new MBP or MB are just around the corner.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

this thread had one comment, but the RED headline, on the main page, obviously then the RED does not signify a popular (in the heavily posted to sense) topic.

I think it means it's a popular read, not a popular post. If it gets dugg a lot, I think that is to be expected.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Sweet, if I understand all this chatter, there should be a new MBP around the Feb 09 timeframe. This is exactly around the time I can get my "tech refresh" from my company. Now sporting first gen Intel MBP. Beats the heck out of the Dell the government used to subject me to...
  • Reply 47 of 95
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I just want to point out that the photograph shows two separate pieces of the aluminum shell. The top piece and the bottom piece minus the battery section are the only things shown. It is not a picture of an assembled or partially assembled MacBook as many seem to think and it does not show the top piece sitting on top of the open battery chamber as AI states. The two separate pieces are sitting on top of a white cardboard box. You can see the white cardboard box between the two pieces. It's not a tablet. Take a closer look at the picture.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    So, could this somehow be telegraphing a MacBook Air with a removable battery?

I dunno, I'm dreaming, but why not?

It's been about the biggest complaint.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    I say its for Macbook and not MBP, but guess we have to wait
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I just want to point out that the photograph shows two separate pieces of the aluminum shell. The top piece and the bottom piece minus the battery section are the only things shown. It is not a picture of an assembled or partially assembled MacBook as many seem to think and it does not show the top piece sitting on top of the open battery chamber as AI states. The two separate pieces are sitting on top of a white cardboard box. You can see the white cardboard box between the two pieces. It's not a tablet. Take a closer look at the picture.

I don't know how anyone could look at the picture and see anything else.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlphaAnt View Post

That's not proof enough for me, sorry. I'll believe it when I see it. And on that note, if I see it without a backlit Apple logo, I'll be very disappointed.

The ability to remove one entire long-side end of the bottom half of the clamshell also isn't doing it for me. If it doesn't line up just so, it will look hideous (more hideous than the fact that they're adding a visible seam to an otherwise perfect look).

I wouldn't take it as the truth, but I wouldn't dismiss it so easily or resist the possibility that this could be real either.

When the iPhone 3G back shell pictures were leaked, there were plenty of seemingly-sound arguments as to why they weren't real. The same went for the aluminum desktop keyboard. Ditto for the "fat" nano. And yet, we still got those three products, exactly as the advance photos suggested.

Anyway, just one straight seem might look better than the two rectangles for the battery & memory hatches on current designs. I'm pretty sure that the logo insert can be designed to disperse backlight evenly enough despite the apparent reductions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

I can't tell anything from this lousy image. It seems a bit fishy to me. Apple does not make hardware design changes without a great reason. Samsung just started to mass produce it's 128 GB SSD drives at a cheap price. I have a feeling that any design changes with regards to the Macbook Pro with have to accomadate these drives.

Absolutely no changes should be needed to support SSD drives. I'm sure you can drop SATA SSD drives in current MacBooks and MacBook Pros, because the modules should fit the exact same profile. I don't think many have done it just because of the cost and capacity drawbacks. Over the next year, it may be a trickle, then gradually grow as more people can afford drives large enough for them to use.

I don't think Apple restricts design changes to only when absolutely necessary, although some updates are probably like that. I think they do it sometimes because they can.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    BO-O-O-O-GUS!

Not saying it's not *some* kind of prototype: but that is NOT the '2 halves of a 15-in. MBP'.

I know you guys love it when I do this....
  • Reply 53 of 95
    frankoidfrankoid Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

Anyone wondering when this new Macbook/Macbook Pro refresh will actually be coming out? I need a new laptop URGENTLY and have been patiently waiting for this for months. Patience...wearing thin.

Probably very soon, because I just caved in and bought a new MBP after waiting for a few months

I didn't have much choice though, I'm doing some Cocoa development at the moment and my trusty PowerBook G4 was just too slow. I'm not really bothered about the case design (I like the old design) but I'd be a teeny bit miffed if a faster Montevina-based MBP came out in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machead99 View Post

So what are these "surprises"? Come on AI can't you give as a clue, a region, something?!

*crosses fingers* decent GPU, decent GPU..

I bet they'll put in a Nvidia 9600M GT
  • Reply 55 of 95
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Why don't they also make the optical drive removable like the Powerbook G3?

Because it's not 1998 anymore?
  • Reply 56 of 95
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I am guessing that slimming down the case will mean that those expecting big gains in the GPU department might be left disappointed?
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

I bet they'll put in a Nvidia 9600M GT

I think you're right, but don't be too impressed by that. The 9600M is no relation to the desktop 9600.

Nvidia's specs page on the 9600M GT says it has 32 stream processors, exactly the same as the 8600M GT. If we're lucky, it'll be 20% faster. Unfortunately there are no better options.

And bear in mind that Apple is already underclocking the 8600M chips in the MBP to keep fan noise down.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    titusmtitusm Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Current designs have the bottom aluminum part kind of 'U' shaped with the sides bent upwards.

This new design simply has a flat bottom part slightly tapered around the edges, but it doesn't curve up anymore. So, where's the rest? Is it even aluminum?

Pretty genius thought hobBIT! Thinking about this, there seemes to be no other option. The middle part simply has to be made of a different material.

Worst case would be fake aluminium like the keys on current models. Black high quality plastics or even ceramics could follow the highly contrasted designline of the iMac wich indeed will be an interesting design. I wont be surprised to see a new MBP with white or black keys like on the new iMac keyboard and a black apple logo on top!

However, I personally would prefer to see a lighter grey or alluminium only MacBook Pro with the backlit apple.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think you're right, but don't be too impressed by that. The 9600M is no relation to the desktop 9600.

If we're lucky, it'll be 20% faster. Unfortunately there are no better options.

of course there is much faster mobile version - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870
  • Reply 60 of 95
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Which will not fit in a 1 inch Macbook Pro.