Any of you guys using OSX in a design environment?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    browncowbrowncow Posts: 50member
    Aubrey:

Get VueScan. It works with (most) scanners, especially SCSI ones. That is really the only OSX alternative right now.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by browncow:

<strong>Aubrey:

Get VueScan. It works with (most) scanners, especially SCSI ones. That is really the only OSX alternative right now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I tried VueScan, and it worked for about a day. The real problem, I suspect lives in the SCSI card drivers that were a spot sketchy to begin with. Installing it took a great deal of reseting of things in a rather arcane fashion. When it worked (for that day), it was a wonderous thing. But it's the drivers I reckon. Shows up in system profiler one minute, not the next, then again, but as an external drive...

So I just locked up, went to the pub and lamented.

Thanks, though.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    stephanestephane Posts: 51member
    Worked with OS X since beta, it became my nearly fulltime os with 10.1.

Because of lack of Office X, the other macs (iMacs) in the office were running OS 9 until Office X came out.

No problems in networking were encountered with OS9/X mixed network even if, since everybody went X, I had to use Sharepoints to share the usual "collective folder"to keep my colleagues in a known environement and not mind about public folder.

I work on a Titanium 550 and G4 400 with 512 MB : I do intensive webdesign and also a little print work. Since Photoshop 7, I switch to OS 9 only for Quark because of my numerous fonts managed by ATM (I know, I need to switch to Suitcase !).

I use Golive and BBEdit so Dreamweaver is not a concern for me.

Advantages : for web design, you benefit from your own apache server (like mine : with Mysql and PHP, I work on database sites as if online).

Adobe apps are rock solid and fully integrated.

Less time for system repairing = more to design.

Concerns : problems with my HP 2100 laserprinter (3rd tray not recognized), old Formac cd-burner work only under OS 9 and some rough edges in OS X.1 interface.

I think OS X.2 should come on par with OS 9 for the fonctionalities that were still not ported to X but Jaguar will be superior for all the rest (I long for the new printing system and increased network compatibility).

My tip : wait for Jaguar (OS X 10.2) or use the time until its release to become familiar with OS X specificities (folders hierarchy, OS X specific sharewares different from OS 9 old ones...)

Stephane
  • Reply 44 of 46
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by JDraden:

<strong>I have found OS X very unproductive for website design. I have downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver MX for OS X, and it is incredibly slow and glitchy. Just typing words into a cell has up to a 5 second delay!

I also run Dreamweaver MX (and Dreamweaver 4) through Windows XP on my PC and it runs much smoother, the interface is more intuitive, and the dragging of cells and layers is dramatically more responsive.

My vote if you will be using Dreamweaver would be to either stay in OS 9, or to try it in Windows. A much better experience with that paticular application/line of work.

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: JDraden ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's odd. I use Dreamweaver MX in OS X and I love it. It's not sluggish at all. I've got it, Fireworks MX, Photoshop 7, Illustrator, IE, Word, and iTunes all running at the same time with no problems. I'm on a G3 400 with 384MB. As far as Dreamweaver in Windows, how can that be fast? You have to save every two minutes for when windows crashes, which seems to be twice a week (and that's XP). 16 crashes in 7 months, 3 clean installs, and closing in on 20 hours of downtime. If I didn't care how the sites look on windows machines, I'd gladly give the boat anchor to someone I really really REALLY hate!
  • Reply 45 of 46
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member
    Wow! Thanks for everyone's replies!

IN just reading I am going to take another look at InDesign. I shrugged it off worried about the production aspects and a new learning curve...but happy to see everyone adapting.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    You know I am really curious about the opinion split with people using DreamWeaver.

I am using DW MX on a Dual 500 with 1 gig of RAM, and typing in design or split mode is horrible. It is directly related to the amount of text present, and also to the complexity of the table layout.

For you people who are saying you have no speed issues with DW, do you have what you would call a complex page layout which you can still type quickly on? Is it online somewhere I can look at it to compare it with the pages I have problems with?

My speed issues aren't only on the most complex layouts or pages with tons of text - they are on relatively simple pages in my opinion... Just lots of text or many nested tables and it chokes really bad.

I would love to get to the bottom of this (guess i should check back in the MM forums - haven't done that in a while).

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>