Apple says yellow-tinted iPhone 3G screen deliberate

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post

My 3G is way more yellow than my wife's 3G. It seems the displays are biased warm, but some displays may be warmer than others by default. I think mine is too yellow and my wife's, which is warmer than my ipod touch is perfect. I did the restore and update and it didn't help.

That's what concerns me... if it were intentional, they'd all be the same.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple trying to cover it up with a lie would just make matters worse for them.

I am not following: How so?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:

Along those same lines and having more candidates for testing, does anyone with an original iPhone and an iPhone 3G both running v2.0 (5A347) have the yellowing on both devices? Or two original iPhones, one running v2.0 (5A347) and with v1.1.4 have yellowing differences?

Do we seriously think that an average Apple user cares about this?
  • Reply 24 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am not following: How so?

If it's a HW issue the facts will come out. There will be comparison between the two iPhoen versions next week using the exact same OS X version. If they lied about it, then this pathetic rouse will only hurt them in court.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do we seriously think that an average Apple user cares about this?

There are plenty of articles about it so someone sure does.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

That's what concerns me... if it were intentional, they'd all be the same.

I agree.

I just took some pics. There is the black 3G with the yellow bias on the left, a ipod touch in the middle, and a white 3g iphone that looks perfect on the right. The big difference is when you get off angle. The one that was slightly biased yellow looks really green off angle. This is a problem if you are laying in bed for instance surfing the web and you hold it at an angle different than straight up and down. Tilting the top towards the floor makes it look noticably greener. My wife's isn't like that.

• Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

I agree.

I just took some pics. The big difference is when you get off angle. The one that was slightly biased yellow looks really green off angle. This is a problem if you are laying in bed for instance surfing the web and you hold it at an angle different than straight up and down. Tilting the top towards the floor makes it look noticably greener. My wife's isn't like that.

<image>

<image>

Wow, Marcus! That 2nd picture really shows a hugh difference. Have you updated the original iPhone to v2.0 yet?
  • Reply 28 of 57
    double post
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:

Wow, Marcus! That 2nd picture really shows a hugh difference. Have you updated the original iPhone to v2.0 yet?

It's an ipod touch, but nope. I don't think it's worth the $10 to update it yet.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

After looking at screen shots from the Rat movie in the last thread, I think maybe it is for the better. The original model does look a bit too blue, but it seems from the pics that maybe the new ones went a bit too far the other way. It's hard to really tell which one is more correct without at least setting a decent camera to a specific white balance number, preferably 6500K, and eye dropper the white colors on the screen. I suppose the way to really settle it is if someone with a good screen calibration sensor could test both and see what the color temps are.

Does anyone have more than one iPhone 3G, using the same firmware, that look different from the other iPhone 3G at the same settings?

My equipment won't really do that, because it, and others need the app on the device for that.

While my XRite i1Photo will measure the color of a print or object, it doesn't read transmitted light properly when held to the screen, though it will measure something from far away. It's possible that if someone has the new Color Munki, they can do it, but not with accuracy from such a small screen. The screen would also need to be in "flashlight white" mode to get a real white point, and in all grey mode to get the proper color temp for the greyscale.

Unfortunately, it won't fit under the probe for my Macbeth transmission unit.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:

I agree.

I just took some pics. There is the black 3G with the yellow bias on the left, a ipod touch in the middle, and a white 3g iphone that looks perfect on the right. The big difference is when you get off angle. The one that was slightly biased yellow looks really green off angle. This is a problem if you are laying in bed for instance surfing the web and you hold it at an angle different than straight up and down. Tilting the top towards the floor makes it look noticably greener. My wife's isn't like that.

I noticed that from looking at number of different 3G units at store, when tilting one side and viewing it from a steep angle, it tends to either look more yellow or green. Try to flip the white 3G unit upside down and look from a steep angle, you will notice the same as the unit on the left.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:

I agree.

You can't compare it to the Touch as a point of reference for the phone, because the Touch has always had a much cooler screen than the phone. In fact, the phone has been considered to have a better viewing experience for Tv shows and movies than the Touch because of that very reason.

But, yes, even the first iPhone has a slightly blue screen, at least to me. But I've done color correction for decades.

The sharp angle is interesting, but It isn't really a factor, except as how it shows the differences in extremum. No one will be using their phones from those angles.

But then, even the first photo is already at a large angle from perpendicular, so it is already exaggerating the differences.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    inkhinkh Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You can't compare it to the Touch as a point of reference for the phone, because the Touch has always had a much cooler screen than the phone.

Dude, it's not about the Touch. It's not about the angles.

It's about that the phone on the left, and the phone on the right, are BOTH 3G, both running same software and should be identical.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkh View Post

Dude, it's not about the Touch. It's not about the angles.

It's about that the phone on the left, and the phone on the right, are BOTH 3G, both running same software and should be identical.

Dude, I know what we're talking about.

The iTouch shouldn't have been included then, should it?

And it IS about the angles. If you knew anything about LCD's, you would know that except for the most expensive panels, they ALL exhibit color variation from panel to panel in the same production batch.

You SHOULD also know that when moved at an angle any small color variation will be exaggerated. Even on a desktop monitor you will see that by looking to the ends of the monitor while keeping your head in the middle.

So, yes, the angles of the shots do matter. He knew that by shooting a more extreme angle. What we also need is a shot where the center of the lens is at the center height of the screens vertically for one. Secondly, as the camera is also off angle to the side phones, it also exaggerates any difference.

As you KNOW, all LCD screens look darker when you move your head down from the center line, and lighter when you move it up. The color also changes in opposite directions. Therefore, the fact that the camera angle horizontally across the picture is well past the side on the right of the phone on the left, and well past the left of the phone on the right will also bias the picture towards exaggeration.

I hope that helps you. I really didn't think it was required to give that basic lesson on LCD technology, as I thought everyone here already understood it, and that the way the pics were taken was either an oversight, or was just quickly done. Otherwise, an individual picture of each device would be required, shot from the very center of the screens, and then comp'd together. Too much work for a Saturday night.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

I hope that helps you. I really didn't think it was required to give that basic lesson on LCD technology, as I thought everyone here already understood it, and that the way the pics were taken was either an oversight, or was just quickly done.

Oh I don't need that info. Both me and my gf have a brand new 3g and hers is a lot more yellow. They look about the same in reality as the above pictures. The off-white I can live with, but not when the greens go yellow. I'm just happy it wasn't mine since I'm very sensitive to color variations.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Oh I don't need that info. Both me and my gf have a brand new 3g and hers is a lot more yellow. They look about the same in reality as the above pictures. The off-white I can live with, but not when the greens go yellow. I'm just happy it wasn't mine since I'm very sensitive to color variations.

This had been my business for quite some time, so I'm sensitive to it as well.

Nevertheless, the pics aren't actuality, because of the way they were taken. I can't speak to what you say you see. I can only respond to what I know is happening.

As you know, what the camera captures is very different from what the eye sees.

If you maneuvered the angles to demonstrate what you think you see, it doesn't help the rest of us, because all people will see it differently. A neutral comparison is required for the rest of us.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

I agree.

Why not just take screen shots to compare the three, i.e., hold down the Home button and press the power button. Screen will flash white. Screen shot stored in Saved Photos folder.

Not sure if it will work on original iPhone software. Already upgraded my Touch and I won't have my new iPhone until I get back from my speaking tour.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Why not just take screen shots to compare the three, i.e., hold down the Home button and press the power button. Screen will flash white. Screen shot stored in Saved Photos folder.

Screenshots will most likely not reflect the quality of the screen. Perhaps I can take some photos tomorrow when I have access to both phones.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Screenshots will most likely not reflect the quality of the screen. Perhaps I can take some photos tomorrow when I have access to both phones.

I think he meant so you have a white image to display while taking a photo of the screen. If you can set your camera's white balance, please try to set it to 6500K. A lot of them have that color as a white balance option. Shooting as perpendicular to the screen as possible is best too.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

The one that was slightly biased yellow looks really green off angle. This is a problem if you are laying in bed for instance surfing the web and you hold it at an angle different than straight up and down. Tilting the top towards the floor makes it look noticably greener. My wife's isn't like that.

I can attest to using iPods both in bed and sharing the viewing experience, I feel I am not alone.

Quote:

The sharp angle is interesting, but It isn't really a factor, except as how it shows the differences in extremum. No one will be using their phones from those angles.

Quote:

And it IS about the angles.

Have you actually got 2 3G iPhones with differing screens there to test, not that you CAN test them as your equipment won't let you, so even if you had 2 3G iPhones to test it seems that for you at least it wouldn't matter, because no-one uses small LCD screens at anything other than the PERFECT angle.

Which Is somewhat ironic considering that as a small hand held electronic device, it would be MORE likely that the viewing angle will not be optimum at all times. but then in your pursuit of being the last possible bastion of perfection, even you are unsure if it is or isn't about the angles.

is it contradiction or arrogance that makes it look like you are taking a dump on someone who can provide some insight, because they have 2 devices that can be compared?