Concerns raised about lack of Mac-to-MobileMe push sync

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    Just tested sending an email to both my mobileme account and to my corporate Blackberry : Mobile Me WebPage Update = 1s , Blackberry 30s ; now this might be the corporate serving pushing to BB - anyway pretty impressive - i guess it means that you have to give the secretary an iphone to make changes!!
  • Reply 62 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

FYI: MobileMe web access has been working flawlessly for me all day. It's responsive and the coding is well done. The syncing is still wonky. It synced only a 1/3of my contacts, even after repeated attempts. I had this same issue with .Mac up until about a month before the conversion to MM.

Yeah, I had a similar problem with .Mac up until a month ago (except all of my contacts where missing from the online app). It too got fixed about a month ago during one of Apple's unannounced maintenance outages preparing for MobileMe. A quick check suggests that all of my contacts are now appearing online, so hopefully yours will start showing up soon. (Perhaps try resetting the sync data?)

My only issue is that my calendars appear to be spontaneously modifying themselves! Even though I've made no changes to the calendars on my other Macs or online, I'll get changes on my primary Mac when it syncs. I can't say yet if it's a MobileMe issue, perhaps a setting on the other Mac is making changes that then get sync'd back? Until I get that figured out I'll be reviewing any changes before letting MobileMe apply them to my main computer.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This works for me. The 15 minute interval mentioned earlier in the thread is only when iPhone is not on wi-fi and the 15 minutes push interval is just a default. You can, if you like higher phone bills, make this more frequent when on the road. I love the PC and Mac linking via this. It was amazing to see all the Outlook contacts come pouring into the Mac and iPhone ... Fabulous technology. That clang was my palm pilot hitting the trash can side on the way in.

You are incorrect.

The 15 minute setting on the iPhone specifically does not apply to Push services (as stated on the actual screen on the iPhone. The Fetch setting to which you refer only applies to services that do not use push services (like Gmail or other non push mail services).

The 15 minutes refered to in the story is actually the time on a Mac OSX computer between syncs.

This is what is happening when you have MobileMe set up and working properly.

1. If you make a change to a calendar or contact on the iPhone or MobileMe web interface, the information is pushed immediatley to all devices that are synced to MobileMe. All devices will update quickly and not depend on any timing cycles.

2. If you make a change to calendar or contacts on a computer running Mac OSX then that change will not be passed to the MobileMe clould immediatley. It will depend where in the 15 minute cycle you are when you made the change. Within 15 minutes of making the change the computer will trigger a sync and the data will be passed to the MobileMe cloud, as soon as it reaches the clould it will be pushed to all devices immediately.

The issue is with point 2 and people are complaining that 15 minutes is to long to wait for an automatic 'push' from OSX to the MobileMe cloud. Personally for non business users like me it makes little or no difference as I am usual sat next to my computer with my phone when I make the change, so the fact it only appears on the phone a maximum of 15 minutes later has very little effect.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Jeeeeez, you need to chill out. "already two days in"??? You expect such a brand new, very complex, multi-component service to be bug-free and working perfectly AFTER 48 HOURS?? What Utopian universe do you live in? It will take at LEAST a few weeks and probably 1-2 months to get everything functioning smoothly. If this is a problem for you, then why would you sign-up for a brand new, wide-scale service that you know will experience hiccups and growing pains for a while?

I'm with you. I'm happy I was able to finally log in to MobileMe and see all of my information let alone worry about instant updates and everything else. I rather them work on the scaling issue first. While I am bummed about all of the initial problems I say give Apple a break. This is all fairly new for them and they bit off a lot more than they could chew this time around. It isn't the end of the world and it will get better people.

I have an issue in my contacts where if I look at all of the contacts it shows "No Name" for the contacts name. I have to click on the entry to see the information in another panel. Now if I select one of my groups i.e. family, business, etc. the names appear in the list. I have a rather large contact list (1300 contacts) so I guess that may be the problem. Has any one else experienced this issue?
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You are incorrect.

The 15 minute setting on the iPhone specifically does not apply to Push services (as stated on the actual screen on the iPhone. The Fetch setting to which you refer only applies to services that do not use push services (like Gmail or other non push mail services).

The 15 minutes refered to in the story is actually the time on a Mac OSX computer between syncs.

1. If you make a change to a calendar or contact on the iPhone or MobileMe web interface, the information is pushed immediatley to all devices that are synced to MobileMe. All devices will update quickly and not depend on any timing cycles.

2. If you make a change to calendar or contacts on a computer running Mac OSX then that change will not be passed to the MobileMe clould immediatley. It will depend where in the 15 minute cycle you are when you made the change. Within 15 minutes of making the change the computer will trigger a sync and the data will be passed to the MobileMe cloud, as soon as it reaches the clould it will be pushed to all devices immediately.

The issue is with point 2 and people are complaining that 15 minutes is to long to wait for an automatic 'push' from OSX to the MobileMe cloud. Personally for non business users like me it makes little or no difference as I am usual sat next to my computer with my phone when I make the change, so the fact it only appears on the phone a maximum of 15 minutes later has very little effect.

Unless, of course, your computer goes to sleep before it hits the 15 minute interval. Then the delay is indefinite! So if I make a change just before heading out the door, there is a very good chance that the change won't get sync'd up to the cloud until I get home and wake up my computer at the end of the day.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    After reading these comments and the comments by Windows and Vista users on a Microsoft site, I can clearly say that the difference between a Mac user and a Windows user are minimal.

Example.

New service added.

Windows user: "Hey, sure its buggy now, but give them a year or two and it will be fine, mostly!"

Mac user: "Hey, its buggy now. I have been waiting for over a year for this new service and now its not totally fine."

New service/upgrade coming:

Windows user: "Hey, this new service has bugs. It pisses me off that it will take them 6 to 8 months to get it fixed!."

Mac user: "Hey, this new service has bugs. It pisses me off that it will take them 6 to 8 days to get it fixed!."

Just a thought.

en
  • Reply 67 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan N 74 View Post

From the MobileMe help pages:

To create an email alias:

In MobileMe Mail on the web, choose Preferences from the Action pop-up menu at the top of the window.

Click Aliases at the top of the pane, and then click the Create Alias button.

Dan, thanks so much.

I know, RTFM.

~W
  • Reply 68 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You are incorrect.

Thanks for clarification my bad. So no way to lower the 15 minutes on the Mac end yet. I assume a manual sync would do a push and some bright spark could write an applescript ...?
  • Reply 69 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

After reading these comments and the comments by Windows and Vista users on a Microsoft site, I can clearly say that the difference between a Mac user and a Windows user are minimal.

Example.

New service added.

Windows user: "Hey, sure its buggy now, but give them a year or two and it will be fine, mostly!"

Mac user: "Hey, its buggy now. I have been waiting for over a year for this new service and now its not totally fine."

Windows user: "Hey, this new service has bugs. It pisses me off that it will take them 6 to 8 months to get it fixed!."

Mac user: "Hey, this new service has bugs. It pisses me off that it will take them 6 to 8 days to get it fixed!."

Just a thought.

en

If you truly feel Windows is so similar to OS X and the above is insightful and accurate you can sell your Mac and be happy on a PC. They are way cheaper too Me, I use both and respectfully suggest the above is pretty far off the truth when you take everything into account.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Wrong. Windows users (and WM) seem to demand that their problems be fixed ASAP. But it seems that Mac users tend to give Apple a little more leeway.

Quote:

Example.

New service added.

Just a thought.

en

• Reply 71 of 80
    Quote:

Example.

New service added.

Just a thought.

en

So you are saying that Apple's performance in deploying MobileMe has brought us down to PC-levels? This is truly a sign that Apple has massively screwed up the roll-out!
  • Reply 72 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Good news everybody! You can change the default interval from 15 minutes with a simple .PLIST file edit. I'm guessing this is made into an ap with Automator shortly. I'll even take care of it if I can find the time.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    I think the most important thing to remember here is that the demonstration involved making a change using the web application on MobileMe, which then updated the iPhone almost immediately. I haven't reviewed the demonstration in it's entirety, but I seem to recall a September timeframe being references for push integration for desktop systems.

Push does work as it was demonstrated, but I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and watch this section of the keynote again before the lynch mob forms to descend on 1 Infinite Loop.

-Rick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That near-instantaneous update was demonstrated with Exchange. During that keynote, I don't remember any promises/claims/suggestions made as to the timeliness of MobileMe updates. However, they do say on their MobileMe page that push is instantaneous, which to me suggests it should work about as quickly as the Exchange demo.

But I wouldn't be worried terribly much about bugs during the first week of operation. That will be forgotten if Apple gets it right for the most part from then on. That's the problem though, with .Mac, it seems they showed little interest in making most features work consistently for everyone. It seemed to work well enough for some people, poorly for others.

• Reply 74 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SJMacGuru View Post

I haven't reviewed the demonstration in it's entirety, but I seem to recall a September timeframe being references for push integration for desktop systems.

Nice catch and welcome to AI. I had completely forgotten about that.

• Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple markets MobileMe primarily as a push service, some are now discovering that updates to the Mac don't translate to immediate updates for the web or for Apple's handhelds, raising questions about whether the new service is as full-featured as promised.

Even with Mac OS X 10.5.4 and a MobileMe update, however, Mac users just won't see the same level of speed when they make changes from the computer itself. The automatic option for sending data from the Mac is now known to be inherently tied to the operating system's Sync Services, which don't relay information except at regular 15-minute intervals -- a potential hassle for users expecting content to automatically spread within moments to all their computers and devices.

And while it's simple to override the automatic schedule with a manual sync, the absence of full computer-based push has quickly been labeled a disappointment to some users and reveals that Apple has yet to completely integrate push information with Mac OS X.

I have both MobileMe Mail and Yahoo Mail. Both are labeled as "push" in the iPhone. All Yahoo e-mail gets "pushed" to the iPhone within 10 seconds of its receipt by Yahoo servers. MobileMe mail does not get pushed at all, and it is received on the regular 15 minutes non-push interval.

Push Mail with MobileMe is simply non functional at this time.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Did a few tests just now.

Calendar entry made on the web interface showed up on both my iPhone and iCal on the desktop within a minute.

Calendar entry made on my iPhone showed up on my iCal desktop within a minute, but not on the web after two minutes. I hit refresh on the web page and then it was there.

Here's a hint. It looks like multiple calendars are possibly confusing the issue here. On the iPhone there is a list of the calendars on your phone (hit the calendar arrow). Entries I make that show up in the phone in red ("All On My iPhone) don't seem to sync. If I select All Calendars, they sync instantly.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice catch and welcome to AI. I had completely forgotten about that.

That was for push notification for iphone apps that developers could use, not for desktop systems.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wookie99 View Post

Dan, thanks so much.

I know, RTFM.

~W

No problem. Never thought it was easy to find in the .Mac days either. So I just went digging around. I recently added one to use for work as well, so it caught my attention.

Sync related note: I'm running Tiger (10.4.11), and the mobile me page does not reflect accurate message counts for any of my online mailboxes other than the inbox and drafts.

Guess we'll see if this all gets straightened out.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Probably a system overload when everybody is syncing at the same time.

I guess apple will get it sorted soon or it will even out automatically.

Read my sig
  • Reply 80 of 80
    MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com.

OS 10.5.6 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194