Hidden iPhone 3G firmware "fixes" yellow screens

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    A second point. This new firmware is only available with a restore. if you just plug in your fresh iphone 3g, itunes will say the phone software is up to date (2.0) and will not try to update to the newer firmware. if this really were a yellow screen fix, wouldn't they package it up in an update (2.01 or something) that itunes could notify you about? to get this firmware you have to restore your phone which requires you to set the whole damn thing up again. not only that, you have to be "in the know" to realize there even is a newer firmware out there. i'm skeptical about this firmware being related to the yellow screens whatsoever.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    I suppose the net is the newer one is more yellow. But looking at various photos, there's actually more green pigment and a little red versus heavy blue with the original (if you're following the RGB scale). The update did nothing for me and I had run it as soon as I got my phone on Friday.

I'm getting used to it and it is easier on the eyes. I think it's mostly us who are upgrading and comparing. What's better is that the whites have more depth to them rather than being washed out. YMMV.

What I don't buy is the fact that it's hardware based. It's mostly software in terms of screen calibration and white point adjustment.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I got picked up my phone Friday and noticed a yellow tiny to it and updated it to 5A347. Big mistake.....it slowed down my phone horribly. When browsing contacts, it would not respond to my input for about 7 seconds. When using the keyboard, it would slow down tremendously. Scrolling was also very slow. It also failed to fix the yellow tint issue. I got my phone replaced with a new one, no more yellow tint as far as I can tell and no sluggishness using 5A345.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    I'm holding off on this firmware upgrade for a few days until I see how buggy it is.

Always a good idea with Apple software -- unless you don't mind the masochistic pain of early adoption.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    cima113cima113 Posts: 12member
    Has anyone noticed lagging performance with video podcasts? I also noticed that they changed the way a video fast forwards. Now its a choppy/flip-book style, instead of a smooth foreword motion. This new chop forward makes it extremely difficult to see if you are past the part you didn't want to watch. The old way gave you audio and you could see and hear where you were in the video. New 2.0 way is crap!
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Early adopters of iPhone 3G have discovered an updated firmware build hidden from iTunes' update system that appears to fix several issues, including the yellow screen tint that some believe is a flaw.

Although clicking "Check for Updates" in iTunes continues to reveal no new firmware, touching "Restore" installs firmware two builds newer than what was loaded on to the new iPhones in the factory, bumping them from 5A345 to 5A347.

M

I downloaded the Build 5A347 (so I could do a restore from my old iPhone) and it DOES NOT change the yellow screen tint.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Probably. Not everything done deliberately is the right thing to do, and maybe Apple decided to back off their previous change.

Since the iPhone is based on MacOS X, I assume it has fairly sophisticated color balancing available to it if they choose to include that software. It's probably a decision that was made like this: "Well, the new color temperature's a lot nicer on the eyes, but if customers REALLY want it that way, let's change it back..."

I doubt the decision was made so casually.

I think a big factor in the success of the iPhone as a platform is the uniformity of the hardware.

Developing for other phone platforms can be a real pain because devices vary so much(screen resolutions, button layouts, etc).

I would think if it was a simply a color profile in the OS then it would be the same for all iPhones running the 2.0 iPhone OS.

My guess is the 3G use a different screen.

I think it would be in Apple's best interest to try to calibrate all iPhone screens to be as uniform as possible.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LMAO! I do so enjoy the hue and cry of the Early Adopters™. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...
  • Reply 29 of 34
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

LMAO! I do so enjoy the hue and cry of the Early Adopters?. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...

Hue? Pun intended?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Hue? Pun intended?

I suspect yes. As was "warm".
  • Reply 31 of 34
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    OK, I'm going to admit to being more bothered by the back of the plastic case on the "black" G3 iPhones looking blue-ish, than by this yellow tint thing (which actually sounds like something that can be adjusted in software).
  • Reply 32 of 34
    dkitsovdkitsov Posts: 1member
    I have measured the difference with my colorimeter and there is a difference.

Here is a link to my blog where I write about it in detail:http://dimak.blogspot.com/2008/07/co...rts-claim.html

Sorry for the shameless self promotion.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkitsov View Post

I have measured the difference with my colorimeter and there is a difference.

Here is a link to my blog where I write about it in detail:http://dimak.blogspot.com/2008/07/co...rts-claim.html

Sorry for the shameless self promotion.

Good hands on analysis! I restored mine for other software application issue. Similar to your experience, I really can't tell much difference visually before/after the 5A347 firmware update. The coloration from default 5A345 firmware worked for me quite well indeed.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    mike95mike95 Posts: 1member
    I had the same issue and applying the update boosted the default brightness (e.g. despite being in the same default position for the setting; say the middle it was brighter than before the update for that same position.

I did discover one fact though which may put to reset the screen differences. My eyes get really sore reading on the my iPhone3G (Black 16gb) despite reading for hours on my old 2G. When I took it out to the sun one day, I noticed the screen was really horrible and hard to read at certain natural angles -- something that didn't occur with my 2G otherwise I would haven't noticed so evidently as I did.

If you take your wife's white 16gb out to the sun along with yours you should see a big difference in the screen's clarity -- hence two screen manufacturers; one with obviously less quality than the other. For me, I can't lose my reading device so I am returning and either buying a white 16gb or waiting a few months until this all gets corrected.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post

Has anybody read this article from arstechnica or whatever it is?

The whole premise is totally flawed. They are comparing to iphones, one with the update and one without and saying the one without the update looks yellower. Unfortunately two iphone 3Gs displays don't look the same. There are multiple accounts of this including my own. I applied the update and it did nothing to my 3g iphone which is much more yellow than my wife's 3g iphone.

Here is a pic of the two 3g iphones, tilted to EXAGERATE the difference, but even slightly off angle one looks greenish. If these displays are going to have color variance, there should be a way to adjust the white temp