Why is my iMac always falling off my home network?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    That's quite strange.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    In our uni house we have an iMac and two MacBooks.

Originally, I had my iMac sharing the internet connection. The MacBooks used to drop the connection occasionally. It got a bit better with a couple of the 10.5.x releases, but it still did it.

I then bought an express, (so y iMac is no longer the router!) but the MacBooks still drop out, The wierd thing is, my iMac never does. Additionally, if the MacBooks are streaming or something, they don't drop out. It s only during regular internet use!!

Any ideas??
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post

It's hard to say what's going on when it happens. Generally it's on when I leave in the morning, and when I come home, the iMac is off the network, though the network is up and running fine. It sometimes happens in one day, sometimes takes a little longer, a day or two...

What OS version do you have? Since 10.5.3 the airport connectivity on my iMac was no longer good and I lost connection often. Apparently 10.5.4 did not solve this problem. Now I am on 10.5.2 and haven't lost airport connection since. Might be you have the same issue.