13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Here's a thought:

user friendly = more productive

There's no RATIONAL reason why the iPhone can't upset BB dominance in the enterprise.

You are totally correct. It may take a few revisions but the iPhone can be anything anybody wishes with just a little development, it is a full blown computer with multi-touch. The BB is a previous generation piece of hardware that filled a niche very well that is now faced with trying to do things beyond its abilities if they want to catch up. It is similar to Windows trying to emulate OS X.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Welcome back! Competition is good and I'm glad someone finally put a fire into the cellphone market.

PS: You can edit your posts.

Thanks.

You can't scroll when you're on the iphone and in edit mode.

The keyboard takes up the screen and the edit window doesn't allow you to scroll. There "to my knowledge" up and down arrow keeps and the only option would be to scroll.

Try and edit a long post from your phone.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    I have been a RIM user for years and carried around my 2G iPhone for personal use for the last year. With Exchange Support now available, I switched to my iPhone and would never go back. The user interface and the quality of attachment viewing is outstanding. Many of the limitations are not functions I would ever perform on the RIM anyway and for me the only limitation that stands out is cut and paste capability.

Cancelled by Verizon Blackberry plans this week. Also purchased AT&T 3G USB data interface for my laptop. Cool.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You are totally correct. It may take a few revisions but the iPhone can be anything anybody wishes with just a little development, it is a full blown computer with multi-touch. The BB is a previous generation piece of hardware that filled a niche very well that is now faced with trying to do things beyond its abilities if they want to catch up. It is similar to Windows trying to emulate OS X.

I use both phones (BB because I have to at work) and the iPhone (1st gen for personal. Not upgrading until they get 3g in my area).

I speak from experience. BB is Far Superior to the iPhone in many areas and is not previous generation hardware. For a non computer person it is very difficult for them to figure out all its features but from a business aspect you can't touch it.

Many times I've had to edit a spreadsheet and resend while on the road. Update a PowerPoint presentation before a meeting etc.

The iPhone is very easy to use it's very easy applications (90% of what I want to view for personal life). Weather, stocks, etc.

When I can ditch my BB I'll do it in a heartbeat. If BB gets a browser even 50% of what the iPhone has I'll ditch my iPhone. I'm not emotionally tied to either and for now both server their purpose for my life.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsincla View Post

I have been a RIM user for years and carried around my 2G iPhone for personal use for the last year. With Exchange Support now available, I switched to my iPhone and would never go back. The user interface and the quality of attachment viewing is outstanding. Many of the limitations are not functions I would ever perform on the RIM anyway and for me the only limitation that stands out is cut and paste capability.

Cancelled by Verizon Blackberry plans this week. Also purchased AT&T 3G USB data interface for my laptop. Cool.

Early reports said that Apple was not allowing tethering on the iPhone and AT&T was requiring a separate subsription using it's mobile card.

Has this changed? If so, please post the link I'd buy the USB device in a second.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

Early reports said that Apple was not allowing tethering on the iPhone and AT&T was requiring a separate subsription using it's mobile card.

Has this changed? If so, please post the link I'd buy the USB device in a second.

Its separate - $60 a month for a Sierra Card 3G USB interface. I use my laptop for work applications as I travel around. We have office vpn access but although the iPhone could work with the new Cisco VPN client, rules on our corporate vpn limit access to Windows V4.6 clients.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

I use both phones (BB because I have to at work) and the iPhone (1st gen for personal. Not upgrading until they get 3g in my area).

Many times I've had to edit a spreadsheet and resend while on the road. Update a PowerPoint presentation before a meeting etc.

Well my new (old) Blackberry had awful native Excel and Word viewing so I'm assuming you are using a 3rd party application for editing your office docs? If this is not out already, I bet MS document editing will be out on the iPhone Apps site before the end of August.

I agree with you - I'm waiting for a iPhone processor speed bump, 32GB, and longer battery life. The old 2G phone works great for me.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    I have used both and elected to change as I think the technology over time is going to prove more flexable for the Iphone. Apple has alot to learn about customer service if they expect to attract business customers.

While standing in line and tracking inventory from store to store may work for consumer tech, I found the customer service to be non-existant after the July 11 release and was finally able to back order the phones that I wanted to buy through ATT. This generic nonsense about not being able to place an order through a retail store or purchase online will hurt apple with small to medium sized business owners.

I did have a friend that did stand in line on July 11, there by 6:30 am left at 8:00 pm, most of the delay was as a direct result of the insistance that apple activate the phone in the store. Apple needs to get out of the phone carrier business. Not good for customer relations.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thanks.

You can't scroll when you're on the iphone and in edit mode.

The keyboard takes up the screen and the edit window doesn't allow you to scroll. There "to my knowledge" up and down arrow keeps and the only option would be to scroll.

Try and edit a long post from your phone.

I only have that problem with landscape mode. Portrait mode lets me move around okay, even if it is a bit crunched.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Although it believes Research In Motion's dominance of the enterprise market remains secure for the time being, Needham & Co. downgraded shares of the BlackBerry maker this week, explaining that the same cannot be said for its primary growth driver of the past two years -- the consumer market.

Apple will have to get their push services working properly before they can tackle BB.

Even for consumers the iPhones push email doesn't compare to RIM right now.

And the actual apps .. well they crash all the time.

The 3G ones don't even vibrate loudly enough & the last thing someone wants is to miss a client placing an order......
  • Reply 51 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wanchaiman View Post

Apple will have to get their push services working properly before they can tackle BB.

Even for consumers the iPhones push email doesn't compare to RIM right now.

And the actual apps .. well they crash all the time.

The 3G ones don't even vibrate loudly enough & the last thing someone wants is to miss a client placing an order......

My push email has worked out fine. I forward mine from Gmail to my .Mac address and still get it on my iPhone in a couple seconds.

What actual apps are crashing all the time? My Safari is crashing and there are 3rd-party apps that are crashing but they have nothing to do with push email.

The 3G iPhones don' vibrate "loudly" enough? The point of vibrate is so it's silent. I can't compare it to the original iPhone but I had had no issues with its vigor.