Future Sony HDTVs to embed support for new Amazon video service

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

And what happens to your purchases if Amazon closes or shuts down their servers?

The same thing applies to iTunes purchases if Apple were to shut down the iTunes Store. Yes, you'll still have access to them up until all of your authorized devices fail. After that, you'd be out of luck making any DRM'ed content work.

Quote:

I don't think it would be good for Sony's customers to be locked into being able to stream video only from Amazon. Sony will need to be able to add other providers to the mix in order for this to make sense for the long term. There is a very good chance that these TVs will last a lot longer then this new service from Amazon.

They're not locked into one source. Looking over info on Sony's Internet Link, it has access to multiple sources for video content. I don't know how many but it isn't limited to just Amazon. Maybe Sony is looking to partner with Netflix to put their streaming service on the device as well. And who knows how many other partnerships Sony is trying to strike right now. Maybe a version of the Playstation video store will be available that will grant access to that content.

And I'm hoping Amazon's service lasts a long time. As I've already stated, competition is good. I like how Amazon has moved from just PC viewing to TiVo viewing and now has made it to Sony TV's. As a PS3 owner, I wouldn't mind it making it there as well (and throw it on the 360 too, doesn't matter to me).
  • Reply 42 of 53
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Ugh. No, no, no. I don't need this embedded in my choice of televisions. My HD monitor should be good for ten years, I don't need it tied to (or pay more for) a service that's going to be either gone, obsolete, or replaced in three. Upgradable software/hardware in a set-top media computer is the way to go.

Thank you! Yes, this is a TERRIBLE IDEA! Leave all the extra shit OUT OF MY TV. This is what all the boxes are for, so you can always use the same TV in the future.

--- By the way, if this turns into anything like Amazon "Unbox" video downloads, watch out as the terms of service are unbelievably HORRENDOUS and anti-consumer. In fact, I doubt they would ever hold up in court. But, just like on the new PS3 or xBox service, video *rental* should be just fine. If I'm *renting*, I don't care how much DRM or stupid restrictions they put on as long as I can watch the damn movie over a 2-day period.

To survive, AppleTV needs a few things:

1) *Dramatically* expanded catalog of movie titles on iTunes Store for rental and purchase, especially HD versions

2) Update to support ALL THE MAJOR MEDIA FORMATS AND CODECS!

3) Open up access to software for developers to create plugins/extensions and other programs (DVR? games?)

4) Open up access to hardware for external USB HDDs.

5) Do something completely innovative and new!
  • Reply 43 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hmm, an Apple television.. I wonder where I heard that before?

We know where we've heard this before. If people don't think that Apple is working on ways of integrating iTunes into future product they're mad.

Once we get low cost chips like ARM and Atom second and third generation chips that are powerful and cheap it'll be trivial to add support to HDTV.

I see people complaining about upgrades. Who cares if the cost to add such features is nominal?

Remove the ATV case, power supply, remote and other redundant features. Then account for lower pricing via economies of scale and I'd say the HDTV in 5 years could add the equivalent of an ATV for less than $100 including storage.

Folks..get used to access and purchasing content from a variety of sources. If anyone should be worried it isn't Apple...it's the Cable providers.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I hope this makes Apple open up the AppleTV too.

Apple improved internet radio with the AppleTV 2.1 update. If you can play the radio station via iTunes, put that station into a playlist and sync it with your AppleTV. It will play the stream just fine.

You still have to play the radio from the computer and that makes no sense. \

That's always been a feature on Aiport Express for like how many years now?
  • Reply 45 of 53
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

By the way, if this turns into anything like Amazon "Unbox" video downloads, watch out as the terms of service are unbelievably HORRENDOUS and anti-consumer. In fact, I doubt they would ever hold up in court. But, just like on the new PS3 or xBox service, video *rental* should be just fine. If I'm *renting*, I don't care how much DRM or stupid restrictions they put on as long as I can watch the damn movie over a 2-day period.

I guess I must be missing all of the horrendous and anti-consumer restrictions Unbox has. I haven't bought much from them, most of it has actually been free either from the initial $10 credit or TV episodes and movies they were giving away for free. But I haven't had any issues. Unlike with iTunes, I'm free to delete the files off of my TiVo and then redownload them at a future date. Now, I can even watch them on demand on my Mac via their beta program. If I get a Sony TV, I'd soon have a chance to watch them via that as well.

I think I recall that there is the option for there to be wildly different terms on how many times a program could be downloaded but as far as I know no studio has bothered to actually implement any such restrictions. But thanks for trying to spread FUD.

Let's see...Amazon Unbox on PC's and Macs, Unbox on Plays for Sure enabled video media players, Unbox on TiVo, and Unbox on Sony TVs. iTunes Store content on Apple iTunes, Apple iPods, Apple iPhones, and Apple AppleTVs. Which one seems more anti-consumer, the option where you MUST use one company's hardware/software or the option where you actually have multiple companies producing playback devices?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You still have to play the radio from the computer and that makes no sense. \

That's always been a feature on Aiport Express for like how many years now?

You don't need iTunes or the computer up and running for this. The AppleTV will stream directly off of the internet.

Once you imported the streams' URL into iTunes, put it into a playlist and sync that playlist with the AppleTV. From your AppleTV, open that playlist and select the URL and the AppleTV will play the stream directly from the internet. No computer required after the playlist gets into your AppleTV.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

You don't need iTunes or the computer up and running for this. The AppleTV will stream directly off of the internet.

Once you imported the streams' URL into iTunes, put it into a playlist and sync that playlist with the AppleTV. From your AppleTV, open that playlist and select the URL and the AppleTV will play the stream directly from the internet. No computer required after the playlist gets into your AppleTV.

Are you sure of this? I just checked and I've tried this before when there was a rumor this worked and it still does not. I have a playlist called "radio favs" where I've put various iTunes radio channels into it. When I go to Apple TV to that playlist does indeed exist but it states that there are no songs in the playlist- plain and simple. Does anyone else play iTunes radio in via Apple TV without their computer on?
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Are you sure of this? I just checked and I've tried this before when there was a rumor this worked and it still does not. I have a playlist called "radio favs" where I've put various iTunes radio channels into it. When I go to Apple TV to that playlist does indeed exist but it states that there are no songs in the playlist- plain and simple. Does anyone else play iTunes radio in via Apple TV without their computer on?

Yep, just confirmed it. Requires 2.1. 2.0 was flakey as hell.

Apple has made changes in how the AppleTV handles playlists in 2.1. First, the playlists are placed in the some folder hierarchies that they are in in iTunes. Second the folders, smart lists and dumb lists use the same icons that iTunes uses. And audio streams have a default radio tower image. (I don't know if this would be replaced with your image or not as I don't have a image saved.) Unfortunately, video and podcast playlists still do not work.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Yep, just confirmed it. Requires 2.1. 2.0 was flakey as hell.

Apple has made changes in how the AppleTV handles playlists in 2.1. First, the playlists are placed in the some folder hierarchies that they are in in iTunes. Second the folders, smart lists and dumb lists use the same icons that iTunes uses. And audio streams have a default radio tower image. (I don't know if this would be replaced with your image or not as I don't have a image saved.) Unfortunately, video and podcast playlists still do not work.

Ok- I was running 2.0.1. I'l let you know once finished.

Update: OMG- That is amazing!! I didn't even know about this update- released July 10th??

I like this so much more now. Thank you Thank you.

Don't you think Apple TV should prompt you to any updates like a computer? I wonder how many others don't realize there is such a cool update out there?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Your welcome.

I stumbled across it myself. I was out of touch when the new iPhone was released and became aware of the update when someone mentioned the new photo indexing feature with AppleTV 2.1.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

Your welcome.

I stumbled across it myself. I was out of touch when the new iPhone was released and became aware of the update when someone mentioned the new photo indexing feature with AppleTV 2.1.

The photo thumbnails rock! This, the internet radio and the rest make this much better than the original Take 2 update! I don't even think a thread was posted here re this for godsake - with all the iPhone threads posted for every minute little item or rumor. And this is a major change for AppeTV. I can't tell you how I've cursed at the thing for not handling radio.

Cum'on AppleInsider - put down your iPhones and post this major update as a thread.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    And don't forget that you can now control your AppleTV from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

And don't forget that you can now control your AppleTV from your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Yeah.