Apple filing takes Podcasts to the next level

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mh71 View Post

Color me crazy, but this looks a lot like the patent suits that Apple has been hit with lately. Mainly, that the concept is not really patent worthy. They are taking existing technologies (broadcasting, video streaming and podcasting) and repackaging them in a shiney new product. There is just nothing that is intrinsically new.

The software that the patent describes seems like it should be copywritable material. I could certainly understand that. It would be an original work ( or a derivative of say, FCP, podcast producer and Keynote).

Most current products are derivative, it's almost impossible to invent anything that doesn't leverage existing technology. Let's hope nobody tries to copyright an OO app!!

The patent is for a method (and presumably another product or FCP plugin) for automated control of the presentation podcast editing process not to the presentation itself (as someone intimated above) though the output could be in Keynote/Powerpoint format.

Given that so many respondees have missed the point of the invention, I'd say it's innovative.

McD
  • Reply 42 of 45
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    I'd be using this tomorrow if they came out with it!
  • Reply 43 of 45
    garybaugarybau Posts: 9member
    while the convergence discussion is all very well...

can be argued it is merely consolidating that which already exists

for example, within garageband a URL can be entered onto a podcast screen, when played on a computer it is a live link to a computer

when played on iPhone/ipod/ipod-touch the link does NOT appear.

the interactivity is already built in...just waiting for the devices to catch up

podcast producer does much of what is listed...just need Xserve and Xgrid to run it( on leopard)

might snow leopard be the key to it all???
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wow, look at the analog volume slider on that iPod!

don't forget the floppy drive in that Lisa like computer!
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

ScreenFlow is an amazing app! The fact that it uses CoreAnimation so well means that I can have multiple QT videos playing, record myself, use Exposé and not have one hiccup on my MacBook. The editing it allows are simple yet robust.

I've recently made some simple tutorials for a switcher I know. Mostly for fun, but the 1 minute videos only take about 5 minutes to edit,a dn that includes using the fancy angled screen display like in Apple keynotes, reflections, expanded view around the mouse, etc.

PS: You can check out a video of it in action in the link above.

THAT is amazing! Thanks for posting this app - even a newbie could make something professional looking with this.