Apple's gross margin may be "biggest swing factor" next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

My point was that Apple are enjoying a period of great success on all levels. Regardless, stock price is down over the 3 month period.

The larger market is pressuring all stocks, not just AAPL.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

and two more factors

slowing economy

high gas prices

Or the underlying problem, a devalued, worthless dollar.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

and two more factors

slowing economy

high gas prices

Of course, those are the two big external factors.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The larger market is pressuring all stocks, not just AAPL.

Yeah, this is a brutal market.

Got some GOOG? Me too. I think tomorrow will be ugly.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Or the underlying problem, a devalued, worthless dollar.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it worthless. Zimbabwe's currency is worthless. The dollar is worth-less. A difference.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    Very likely. But that'll be a good opportunity to add to positions if stocks fall really low like they did these past few days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think tomorrow will be ugly.

• Reply 27 of 47
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    I sure don't complain about the price of AAPL going from 120 to 170 in 5 months like it did from feb 28th till today. I'll be happier Tuesday night when the stock is better appreciated and overjoyed Oct 21 st on earnings day. And Halloween I'll dump enough to live on till it goes higher in Oct of 09. I bought in when AAPL was $ 25 so i'm retired now and keepin a large chunk.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

Very likely. But that'll be a good opportunity to add to positions if stocks fall really low like they did these past few days.

I'm tired of trying to catch falling knives.

I've already been gouged by BAC.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Yeah, this is a brutal market.

Got some GOOG? Me too. I think tomorrow will be ugly.

Never bought GOOG. Way too rich for my blood.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

I sure don't complain about the price of AAPL going from 120 to 170 in 5 months like it did from feb 28th till today. I'll be happier Tuesday night when the stock is better appreciated and overjoyed Oct 21 st on earnings day. And Halloween I'll dump enough to live on till it goes higher in Oct of 09. I bought in when AAPL was $ 25 so i'm retired now and keepin a large chunk.

If only we all had your foresight to buy thousands of shares instead of hundreds way back when... \
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

I'm tired of trying to catch falling knives.

I've already been gouged by BAC.

CLWR has been a real shocker for me... after all, melgross recommended it... WAAAH!!! And don't even get me started on MO. Holy smokes! (pun intended)
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

CLWR has been a real shocker for me... after all, melgross recommended it... WAAAH!!! And don't even get me started on MO. Holy smokes! (pun intended)

Yeah I tried that too and didn't do so well.

After a couple of good years this year is putting a hurting on me.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:

If only we all had your foresight to buy thousands of shares instead of hundreds way back when... \

It ain't too late. 5 years AAPL will have been $600 and we will hear the same argument
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Hey! It was a shock to me too. But it did do very well for a while. Sprint screwed it, but now they're back together again. Who knows? Long term?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

6hr lines for iPhones, 1 million sold in 3 days, market share up to 3rd place. Profits up 38%. AAPL: down.

What on earth does it take to get a positive response from Wall St???

Um... the market already knew all that stuff. Have you noticed Apple's performance compared to the average tech stock in the past 3 months? THAT is the positive response.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hey! It was a shock to me too. But it did do very well for a while. Sprint screwed it, but now they're back together again. Who knows? Long term?

Yes, there's always the long term... (sob)...
  • Reply 37 of 47
    rudolfrudolf Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post

It ain;t too late. 5 years AAPL will have been $600 and we will hear the same arguement

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image.../1rolleyes.gif Yeah, I see AAPL there too in some time. In between it may be rough, but I'm staying in.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Of course, those are the two big external factors.

Apple should try to get some promos here in Europe. They are making about 20% of extra profit here because of the weak dollar (a MBP for $ 1,999.- in the US translates to $ 2,400.- here in Europe). Moving some more Macs in Europe would be quite desirable. So the exchange rate is a mixed bag, it hurts Apple on the one hand but it helps Apple on the other one.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Apple should try to get some promos here in Europe. They are making about 20% of extra profit here because of the weak dollar (a MBP for $ 1,999.- in the US translates to $ 2,400.- here in Europe). Moving some more Macs in Europe would be quite desirable. So the exchange rate is a mixed bag, it hurts Apple on the one hand but it helps Apple on the other one.

It's hard to say. If Apple pays their suppliers in dollars, at a fixed number, what you say is true. but, if as is likely, they don't, then what you say is not true.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    For those that think MS is dying a slow death, thunk again. They hit $60B in revenue, a 25% increase in net profit over the previous year. Apple did $24B in that same time frame and makes a lower profit margin by almost half what MS makes per dollar.