iPhone 3G shortages causing major delays for AT&T, businesses

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple promised that iPhone 3G and its iPhone 2.0 software would be more suited to business, but a severe shortage of the device could force companies to wait as long as two weeks before they see their orders, and is forcing many home customers to go without at the same time.



Memos circulating around AT&T and obtained by AppleInsider are warning AT&T business sales consultants that any workplace-related orders placed from Sunday the 13th onwards won't be fulfilled for at least another 10 to 14 days.



The telecoms company isn't asking orders to be halted but says new orders will immediately appear as backordered.



And while both AT&T and its corporate clients are aware that sheer demand is the cause, the delay is severe enough to frustrate corporate buyers, few of whom are used to seeing unexpected shipping delays.



"I have an enterprise account and could not get an iPhone for any price," one such buyer tells AppleInsider. "I thought Apple had finally figured out the whole business thing but alas it seems not."



The situation is little better for AT&T's bread-and-butter personal customers. An informal poll of 50 AT&T stores nationwide by CNET reveals that not one of the locations has any iPhone models to sell, and none of these stores can promise new shipments within the week.



These stores are receiving short term shipments but can't guarantee a minimum amount. As little as 10 may ship one day, while 100 ship the next.



For its part, AT&T spokesperson Jenny Parker says the carrier is delivering "tens of thousands" of the new iPhone per day but will only add that it hopes to restock stores as quickly as possible.



Apple, by contrast, still has at least some of its own stores that claim to have iPhones, though these are also running low with multi-hour lineups a frequent sight.



«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 65
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Two weeks???!!! We're all doomed!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 65
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,063member
    I know someone who works in shipping/logistics who told me that they had large crates of iPhones sitting in warehouses at their terminal up to two weeks before the launch - and some of those crates are still sitting there. Didn't press the person any further about where the delay is coming from, but it does seem kind of strange that these things aren't getting to the retailers or the retailer's distribution centers.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    I was the first in line Friday morning to NOT get a phone. After people started getting their phones the Sales Rep came out and told me that I would get one (8gb) because someone changed their order. Happy me! Get in the store to find out that someone in the line had cut in front of me further up and as a result no iPhone. I was O.K. with that as my father was the last to get one and that was the most important thing. I have an original iPhone so it was not a problem.



    The sales rep that took my order said that I should have one by Wednesday (yesterday) I also know that there are people who ordered after me that have received their phones. So the wait continues.... I probably will not get it until next week. (I Hope)
  • Reply 4 of 65
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrummerMan View Post


    I was the first in line Friday morning to NOT get a phone. After people started getting their phones the Sales Rep came out and told me that I would get one (8gb) because someone changed their order. Happy me! Get in the store to find out that someone in the line had cut in front of me further up and as a result no iPhone. I was O.K. with that as my father was the last to get one and that was the most important thing. I have an original iPhone so it was not a problem.



    The sales rep that took my order said that I should have one by Wednesday (yesterday) I also know that there are people who ordered after me that have received their phones. So the wait continues.... I probably will not get it until next week. (I Hope)



    Everyone should just go to ATT, get on a direct fulfillment list and stop wasting time in line. It's so easy, who has the time for all this line waiting?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    88 stores are totally sold out as of 9 pm tonight . Was 118 2 nights ago.

    65 stores still have 16 gig black, most sold out iphone. Tuesday will be fun in the AAPL market
  • Reply 6 of 65
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 174member
    OH My God... 2 weeks delay... how will i or anyone in the world survive??



    this MAJOR shortage is now affecting my business so much that , after 10 years of trading, i think i might have to fire all staff and close shop.





    journalism at its lowest!!!



    Seanie
  • Reply 7 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,734member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post


    OH My God... 2 weeks delay... how will i or anyone in the world survive??



    this MAJOR shortage is now affecting my business so much that , after 10 years of trading, i think i might have to fire all staff and close shop.





    journalism at its lowest!!!



    Seanie



    Only the best for our faithful readers!
  • Reply 8 of 65
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post


    I know someone who works in shipping/logistics who told me that they had large crates of iPhones sitting in warehouses at their terminal up to two weeks before the launch - and some of those crates are still sitting there. Didn't press the person any further about where the delay is coming from, but it does seem kind of strange that these things aren't getting to the retailers or the retailer's distribution centers.





    Ah, so there's where Apple has embargoed Canadian iPhone stock... ;-)

    (purely an unsubstantiated, but salacious rumour)





    However, please have your person send a picture to Rogers to further underscore the complete cluster-f they've made of the iPhone roll-out.

    (a Truth)





    .
  • Reply 9 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    88 stores are totally sold out as of 9 pm tonight . Was 118 2 nights ago.

    65 stores still have 16 gig black, most sold out iphone. Tuesday will be fun in the AAPL market



    That quarterly report wouldn't include that information. Are you suggesting they discuss their iPhone 3G successes in the conference call? I'm not sure if it's proper protocol.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Everyone should just go to ATT, get on a direct fulfillment list and stop wasting time in line. It's so easy, who has the time for all this line waiting?



    That's what I did last Saturday. I should be getting it on Monday when it comes in, or when I get to it during the week. I don't care for this idea of standing around like a bum for several hours. I could stand in line for hours if I wanted to, there are other things I'd rather do. Heck, I've waited a year already, another week isn't going to hurt anyone. Maybe I could say I waited 4 months too long, but oh well.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    nycmacfannycmacfan Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drjjones View Post


    88 stores are totally sold out as of 9 pm tonight . Was 118 2 nights ago.

    65 stores still have 16 gig black, most sold out iphone. Tuesday will be fun in the AAPL market



    NYC stores all have iphones, but every time I call they say 4 hour wait....
  • Reply 11 of 65
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "I have an enterprise account and could not get an iPhone for any price," one such buyer tells AppleInsider. "I thought Apple had finally figured out the whole business thing but alas it seems not."



    Alas, I am sure your "enterprise" has never screwed up or had one bad day of operations or one upset customer in the entire life span of the business. \
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That quarterly report wouldn't include that information. Are you suggesting they discuss their iPhone 3G successes in the conference call? I'm not sure if it's proper protocol.



    Um, I assume he's getting that data from the "Find an iPhone" store supply tool available from Apple I believe...
  • Reply 13 of 65
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    I agree with you, almost. Actually, I would place journalism in a very low position on the respect scale...sort of right below most members of congress and most attorneys. It would be nice if they would report...but instead they consistently strive to shape public opinion. Worse yet, they are pretty effective at shaping public opinion. A sad state, huh? (I'll put my soapbox away now)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post


    I agree with you, almost. Actually, I would place journalism in a very low position on the respect scale...sort of right below most members of congress and most attorneys. It would be nice if they would report...but instead they consistently strive to shape public opinion. Worse yet, they are pretty effective at shaping public opinion. A sad state, huh? (I'll put my soapbox away now)



    You speak the truth my friend. Stories such as this one are silly at best.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    My direct fulfillment order just went from backordered to shipped and I will have it tomorrow (later today) So it only took a week. The supply is slowly catching up to demand. One shouldn't be surprised given the popularity of the iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    i will wait until 3g is in my market area in the next few months and for the 32 gig iphone when that releases as flash memory is getting cheaper... other than that the iphone is awsome
  • Reply 17 of 65
    debenmdebenm Posts: 99member
    I tried 2 AT&T stores and 2 Apple stores today couldn't get a new iPhone...



    Thankfully I have the old one
  • Reply 18 of 65
    ap780ap780 Posts: 9member
    I think that is stupid that apple Hasnt sorted out the iphone problem. After the launch of e first on u reckon they would have sorted it out. Lucky I waited on launch day in the sydney applle store cause optis have sold out and there'snstill people lining out side a week later in the morning and at lunch!! It's crazy.



    AP
  • Reply 19 of 65
    So, I stood in line today. Only for an hour though - and that was my mistake. I was number 25 (or something) in line - but that didn't help much, as the store only got in 10 phones today. The stores here in Norway are getting VERY few phones in each shipment and they1re only getting shipments two times a week. Netcom, the iPhone carrier here in Norway, sell iPhones every Wednesday through their online store - but those phones are also ripped away within minutes.



    So I'm starting to think Steve is making all the phones himself. By hand.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post


    So, I stood in line today. Only for an hour though - and that was my mistake. I was number 25 (or something) in line - but that didn't help much, as the store only got in 10 phones today. The stores here in Norway are getting VERY few phones in each shipment and they're only getting shipments two times a week.



    This is what I was worried about with a worldwide, single-day release. It has got to be impossible to judge demand and having millions in crates if sales were slower than expected would have killed them.

    ...Unless this is what they wanted. The whole "It is so hot it can't be kept in stock" Wii thing. I wonder how many weeks of "Its so hot" it takes to counteract the "Apple/iPhone dissapoints with a problematic, opening" story.
Sign In or Register to comment.