Apple plans mystery "product transition" before September's end

Comments

• Reply 621 of 735
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I wouldn't say Apple doesn't support game development so much as Microsoft's monopolistic position on the desktop and their use of proprietary DirectX has stifled a good bit of competition from OpenGL and non-Windows gaming in general.

There are things that Apple could have made easier. For example, there is no good interface unification to joysticks, button number arrangement for hat switch directions aren't standardized and you have to spelunk the USB HID tree to grab a joystick. There's quite a bit of quirks that needs workarounds. Brian Greenstone of Pangea software outlined it and has code in his book. His code to just grab a joystick and work around Apple's bugs and quirks is something like 3000 lines. Then he shows how easy it was for OS 9, I think 20 lines or less.
  • Reply 622 of 735
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I wouldn't say Apple doesn't support game development so much as Microsoft's monopolistic position on the desktop and their use of proprietary DirectX has stifled a good bit of competition from OpenGL and non-Windows gaming in general.

If OpenGL had developed a game focus subset (and not split between workstation and gaming) then DirectX D3D wouldn't have gotten much traction.

DirectX 1.0 sucked. Big time. It sucked pretty much until DirectX 5 (with 3 being so-so and 4 a no-show) with DirectX 7 being the first one to be widely adopted.

OpenGL had plenty of damn time to simply/improve game development and keep DirectX/D3D marginalized. Even MS would have quit eventually.

Quote:

Apple likely recognizes that PC gaming is in decline thanks to the success of dedicated consoles, including Microsoft's own Xbox consoles, the first of which was put out to combat Sony's highly anticipated PS2, which they feared would eat into their profitable, high-end gaming market.

DFC claims that the PC was the largest game market in 2007 and had the largest revenue.

Quote:

However, as mentioned, DFC Intelligence estimates the PC gaming market is the largest single game segment on a revenue basis and it is expected to grow 80% over the next 5 years. On a worldwide basis the PC gaming market (including online game revenue) accounted for nearly 30% of interactive entertainment software revenue in 2007. Of course, that does not include all the PC hardware sales that are generated from gamers.

http://www.dfcint.com/wp/?p=206

Worldwide it was $11.3B vs $14.1B for PC vs Console game revenue. The NPD numbers completely ignored games sold via download and MMO revenue. Blizzard raked in $1.2B last year all by itself.

Quote:

Now MS itself has almost all but given up on supporting gaming on the PC.

Say what? Windows gaming is alive and well. Heck they just ported over Mass Effect which saved me from having to buy a 360. When Dynasty Warrior 6 comes out for the PC (in English) then I can skip getting the PS3 for a while (or at least skip going over to my brother in law's house to play)

Quote:

Games for Windows Live was a flop as PC gamers have never been charged for online play

GFWL was pretty bad and yes, PC gamers don't accept being charged. That doesn't mean that there aren't millions of PC gamers.

Quote:

They hardly "support" game development. They mainly buy up development studios. Rare hasn't put out a good game in years and Bungie went independent last year.

Yes, because DirectX10 is strictly a console play and XNA isn't useful on the PC.

MS has the best game development toolchain for both the PC and console.
  • Reply 623 of 735
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Just got off the phone with my friend from Silicon Valley, and he dropped a freakin' nuke in my lap regarding Apple's coming transition. I don't have permission to share much of anything, but I can say this much:

Motorola.

No, it's not what you're thinking.
  • Reply 624 of 735
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's been a long time since I've seen a rumour report from The Dawg.
  • Reply 625 of 735
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Just got off the phone with my friend from Silicon Valley, and he dropped a freakin' nuke in my lap regarding Apple's coming transition. I don't have permission to share much of anything, but I can say this much:

Motorola.

Well I'm thinking Moto sucks.

I guessing it has something to do with the former Moto exec at Apple, or Apple is buying something of Moto, or possibly the whole company.
  • Reply 626 of 735
    hookhook Posts: 42member
    What if i don't know what i'm thinking? Is it still not what I'm thinking?

Dropping 'motorola' into the fray is almost unfair
  • Reply 627 of 735
    Wow! Is 625 posts in one thread a record of some sort?

I guess the bulk of the postings constitute one of the longest xMac/headless mini-tower arguments I've ever seen on here. Perhaps it's time Mr. H and wobegon just decided that neither of them are going to convince the other of their position and let it rest.

Since a lot of the discussion has to do with Joe Six-Pack and how he makes his buying decisions, and since I'm close enough to that that I might be able to shed a little light on the question, let me tell you how I see it. First of all, ignore Apple stores. The people who go into Apple stores are already at least half sold. We're talking about the guy who is barely aware that there are two platforms, and walks into a Best Buy, let's say, just to see what's on offer. The Best Buy that's closest to me (well, easiest to get to, anyway) seems to have an unusually good Apple section, from what I read, so I'll use that as an example.

First Joe walks past all the Windows machines: a bewildering array of slightly varying specs, some higher, some lower, in an incredible mish-mash that makes it impossible to decide which is better overall; an enormous price spread, with boxes that look pretty much the same varying in price by at least a factor of four; ugly bent sheet metal enclosures with ill-fitting plastic cladding stuck all over them like a Pontiac minivan; garish stickers on every spare square inch of surface; howling fans; and a congeries of brand names, some of which are familiar, some of which are not.

Reeling from all this, he finds his way into the Apple section. It's like stepping into another world: a quieter, more sophisticated, more advanced world. It's like walking with a few steps from 1985 to 2008. Everything he sees is elegantly styled and nothing like what he saw back in the PC aisle. "That's a nice-looking monitor...oh, wait: it's a whole computer! A whole computer with no huge box to hide under the table, where you can't reach it to put a disk in, or to clutter up the whole table with! Wow! But my monitor's still pretty good, all I need is a new computer to plug it into. What's this? $600...that's more like it. But it's just a little tiny box...." He looks at the specs and sees that they're in the same territory as the PCs he saw in the other section, at least the ones that were anywhere near $600, and more importantly, worlds past the specs of his current machine, if he even knows what they are. And it's 6.5" x 6.5" x2"! Unbelievable!

Seriously, walking from the PC aisle to the Apple section, you think: "This is where they keep the alien technology that took from Area 51!" It's so much more advanced and sophisticated that you feel you're in another world. And some of us respond to that. I won't say it's a majority, but it's a very substantial number. The specs on all of these machines, PCs or Macs, are serious overkill for what we use them for, anyway. If you go through a huge process of sorting out all the specs and prices, which hardly anybody does, you'll see that Macs are not really any more expensive than equivalent PCs, but it's true that Apple doesn't play in the shallow end of the pool. Their cheapest units don't approach the low prices at the cheap end of the PC line, but they look like they're worth more. Then of course, there's that 84-cubic-inch box that does the same work as all those crappy-looking, loud, 1024-cubic-inch behemoths: Hmmmm.....

I don't want to get into the whole discussion of whether Apple should or would offer a headless mini-tower. They would have to differentiate it from the competition somehow. Maybe this "technology the competition can't match" will contribute to that. I think their actions will seriously depend on whether they can slap down the clone-makers quickly and easily, or if some lunatic judge buys Psystar's "antitrust" arguments. If they are more or less forced to license OS X, then we could see some form of Apple mini-tower. I'm sure they have it all figured out as to how many more units they would have to move to make up for the decreased margin, and the lost sales of iMacs and Mac Pros. At least do them the courtesy of accepting that they've war-gamed this whole scenario every which way from Sunday, and if the conclusion they came to doesn't match yours...oh, well!

There are some of us, however, who want something a little different, who appreciate Apple's elegant design and unified appearance, and who will pay to buy our way out of the minimum-price crapbox world that our Windows brethren endure. If Apple does get into the cheap commodity PC market, I hope they can sustain both, but I'm not hopeful that they could.
  • Reply 628 of 735
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I guess the bulk of the postings constitute one of the longest xMac/headless mini-tower arguments I've ever seen on here.

Obviously you never saw this 1,657 post behemoth (5th longest Future Hardware thread ever)! Vinea and I argued for quite a long time in that one . At least we've been spared any "xMac proponents just want a Mac Pro on the cheap" posts this time around (not a dig at Vinea, I don't recall him making any of those).
  • Reply 629 of 735
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

I guess the bulk of the postings constitute one of the longest xMac/headless mini-tower arguments I've ever seen on here. Perhaps it's time Mr. H and wobegon just decided that neither of them are going to convince the other of their position and let it rest.

It is kind of sad that 99% of my posts as a fairly new member here can be found in this thread. I don't know about Mr. H, but at this point I'm just having fun going back and forth. I mean, we're basically reiterating our original arguments and then I forget the points we've made and it starts all over, but from a different angle. It's an xMac vs. mini whirlpool that newcomers mistake for a harmless speculative thread on some mystery product transition.

Quote:

Seriously, walking from the PC aisle to the Apple section, you think: "This is where they keep the alien technology that took from Area 51!"

There are some of us, however, who want something a little different, who appreciate Apple's elegant design and unified appearance, and who will pay to buy our way out of the minimum-price crapbox world that our Windows brethren endure. If Apple does get into the cheap commodity PC market, I hope they can sustain both, but I'm not hopeful that they could.

Well said. And the Area 51-effect you mentioned is a good description of what initially draws most people to Apple's computers, especially the iMac's "disappearing mini-tower" trick and more recently, the Air's razor-thin form factor that seems to induce people lifting it up and measuring its weight.
  • Reply 630 of 735
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

It's Apple's only headless Mac under $2300, gee that might be it.

Oh gee golly, who put a gun to your head to buy a mini?

Quote:

No, most SSF are pretty easily upgradable, they're typically just samller cases that's all, look at Shuttle PCs. And, yes, I've worked with the old iMacs - pop off the back, and you can get on the HD and RAM.

Most of Shuttle's computers are marketed towards gamers, they have a dizzying array of SFF PCs, yet I've never seen one in a computer store.

Anyway, you brought up the Dell Hybrid. The Hybrid doesn't look user serviceable, nor does Shuttle's X200, which comes a lot closer to matching the mini's physical dimensions.
  • Reply 631 of 735
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Motorola.

OMG!

What the hell kind of hint is that? Motorola has been dismembered and some of the pieces are in the toilet. Yes I could live with a one word hint but not that one. No its not what I'm thinking? Well what am I thinking then?!
  • Reply 632 of 735
    Quote:

Well I'm thinking Moto sucks.

I guessing it has something to do with the former Moto exec at Apple, or Apple is buying something of Moto, or possibly the whole company.

That can't be it. Right now there isn't much of a company to buy. If however someone were to hing Apple was buying up a wireless network company thereby transforming Apple into a network provider.....that would be one hell of a nuke!
  • Reply 633 of 735
    Quote:

Motorola.

Ok, help us here. Tell us what it DOESN'T involve.

For instance, it doesn't involve motorola making custom chips for Apple correct?

Or, it doesn't have anything to do with motorola's recent acquisition of AirDefense and their wireless security tech correct?

Help us out here will ya?
  • Reply 634 of 735
    I'm bumping because I want an answer on this. I will now leave this thread alone till tomorrow when I am at work. Unless of course there is a response by tonight. But if I don't get an answer from this guy who just laid a potential nuke of a clue (despite its vagueness) there will be......consequences. \
  • Reply 635 of 735
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm bumping because I want an answer on this. I will now leave this thread alone till tomorrow when I am at work. Unless of course there is a response by tonight. But if I don't get an answer from this guy who just laid a potential nuke of a clue (despite its vagueness) there will be......consequences. \

Don't do that. If it's real and any details do leak, then the guy's friend risks losing his job if this is discovered. If it's false or a diversion, then you'll have wasted too much energy on it. And maybe you would have risked being banned for harassment.
  • Reply 636 of 735
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Don't do that. If it's real and any details do leak, then the guy's friend risks losing his job if this is discovered. If it's false or a diversion, then you'll have wasted too much energy on it. And maybe you would have risked being banned for harassment.

For one post harassment? If your trying to annoy me today you will have to get in line.

Forget about leaks. How about speculation and detective work. Can any of you guess what it might be from the one word hint?

Thats what this forum is here for isn't it?

*ARGH* LOOK here Mr. JeffDM, get ya lazy butt to a google screen right now and start investigating before I crack the whip!

After some quick investigating it will be discovered if its a waste of time or energy or not. And don't tell me not to do it either because its fun. Why the hell do people like you try to stop people on this site from having fun? Are you the principal or something?
  • Reply 637 of 735
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Obviously you never saw this 1,657 post behemoth (5th longest Future Hardware thread ever)! Vinea and I argued for quite a long time in that one . At least we've been spared any "xMac proponents just want a Mac Pro on the cheap" posts this time around (not a dig at Vinea, I don't recall him making any of those).

Possibly. Who knows...after a thousand posts everyone in that thread has said something stupid or condesending. It got rather heated as dead horse flogging tend to be.

This whole xMac debate is so old by now we could do it by numbers like that old joke about prison humor:

xMac zealot: 47!

xMac hater: Oh yeah? 53 and 16!

xMac zealot: Noob! 16 is soooo debunked by 72 and 211!

xMac hater: 342 you jerk.
  • Reply 638 of 735
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Here's a great read on why this isn't a Tablet, xMac or any new product.

The "technology transition" refers to upgrading existing products with more expensive components.

As the article says, this could be referring to the placement of BR drives across the line.

Or maybe moving the MacBook line to 15" screens (my favourite).

What it isn't is some whiz bang new gadget. Guaranteed.
  • Reply 639 of 735
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Here's a great read on why this isn't a Tablet, xMac or any new product.

The "technology transition" refers to upgrading existing products with more expensive components.

As the article says, this could be referring to the placement of BR drives across the line.

Or maybe moving the MacBook line to 15" screens (my favourite).

What it isn't is some whiz bang new gadget. Guaranteed.

Ah, this guy came up with the same increased cost estimates as me ($150mill)... I guess I like him.

I agree totally that a transition is different to a new product. Unfortunately they also said they had some great new products coming (though they do always say that). Also a Tablet can be considered a transition from iPod Touch to iTouch.

That said... I'm not looking for an iTouch - I'm putting my money on touch screens on every existing screen.
  • Reply 640 of 735
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Motorola.

Well, since Motorola sold out their chip manufacturing to Freescale and doesn't manufacture chips that doesn't leave much but the mobil phone business and set top box business.

Did your friend used the tried and true method of obtaining info using alchohol?