When does your Apple computer crash?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    I don't have crashes, precisely... as far as I know OS X hasn't ever crashed out from under me. I have found myself stuck because of problems with the iBook's external display hardware, particularly with supposedly carbonized emulators. Both screens end up black. I'll bet escapepod would take care of that for me, so I'll try it out.

In OS 9, I get crashes using the external display and sometimes using old software that tries to access the audio. I've only had three crashes though, and I've been deliberately trying every single piece of software on my drive after buying my new iBook.

The 500 G4 tower I had before this iBook crashed often and hard in OS 9. Strangely, it also picked up radio on the audio-out jack. I know, I know, radio interference can happen with any piece of equipment, but this was intense. It went beyond a little fuzzing... I could use the damn thing as a real radio to pick up the one channel with which the casing was harmonic. Every word was clear. Moreover, my room is fully RF shielded by metl shelves on every side but one, so normal radios don't work in here. i have to run an antenna to outside of the room.

My old blueberry iBook crashed on me infrequently in OS 9.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>starfleet, I'll try that then

When the games crash, I cant do a damn thing. Nothing moves, no key combos seem to work, and to be honest I dont remember how to reset OS X through Telnet and all that.

I have the crash/log monitor to keep track of ALL crshing apps, but honestly havent been bothered enough to look at the logs to see if it recorded what happened when StarCraft and Quake and such crashed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i said the os has never crashed, but that's not true- your telnet comment reminded me. i've never had a kernel panic, but i have had to ssh (not telnet), into my comp when the os has frozen- i issue a sudo shutdown now, followed by an exit command to bring it back to life, it's not restarting + my uptime is preserved... i guess it is a crash- but i've never had anything that i couldn't recover from.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Oh, by the way, trying to change display drivers while a program in the early stages of developing that is processor intense and uses a special display mode is a terrible burden to put on your computer. There's no reason the DVD player should work when you switch to an entirely different driver mode. That's like unplugging one printer in the middle of a four hundred page document and plugging in a second printer, then expecting it to handle printing seamlessly where the last one left off. It's just a reasonable "don't do that."

As for responding wrongly to Cable #2, though, Apple really designed the old A/V cables badly. Stereo mini-jacks are non-standard enough despite the ostensible correct length without trying to stick a third section on.