Apple seeds iPhone 2.1 with directional GPS, push notification

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uRbAn View Post

There should be one language for ALL countries that speak it. English should be standardized, Spanish should be standardized, Chinese should be as well and the majority of the widespread, and most-talk languages in the world should.

Yeah - in fact I think there should only be ONE language for the whole world (standardized of course by the one world government) , and only one brand of cel phone - and only one model - and only one carrier, and we should all be required to just eat soylent green! Just my 2¢
  • Reply 42 of 56
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    I'm looking forward to the bug fixes, GPS direction like an in car system, MMS and copy/paste. Apple said that they want to get these feature done, so I see them coming in .1, or .2 at the latest.

Steve
  • Reply 43 of 56
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In addition to American English being spoken as a native language by far more people than those speaking "English" English

Really? The Commonwealth has a population of 1.9 billion people and 53 nations.

I thought the US had a smaller population than that.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

That is a voluntary association of mostly former British colonies. While your head count seems accurate for the total population of the aggregated Commonwealth nations the total number that speak English as there 1st language is considerably lower.

According to Wikipedia, the total number of people in the world who speak English as a first language is under 400M. Most of which are obviously from the US. The UK is the 2nd largest country with English as a first language, but it's still only a quarter of the US total and also includes speakers in Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Not exactly "Britishish."

My point is, they don't speak British English in the rest of the world. The only constant that is still intact is written English within England in still very similar. It would be hard to further pinpoint an English English writer based on the terms used. But the widely varying accents in England make it fairly easy to determine a basic geography of the speaker. Though this is true for every country, it's not as obvious in such a small landmass.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

You're taking one fact, and assuming that another applies, which is not the case. Most people in India, according to my Indian friends, don't speak English at all, and many of the rest speak different varieties of some pigeon combination of English, and whatever tongue their area speaks.

In China, as most students have been taught American English for years now, there may be many more people who speak it at some level than all the rest who speak British at any level. Many countries teach American English as a second language. I've rarely gone anywhere where there weren't some people who could speak English, and few seemed to be speaking British English (for the short time I spoke to most).

Realistically, With America being so much larger, far more students come here to study. The same is true of business. The same thing is true of scientific establishments. And of the diplomatic corps. So American English tends to be taught more often.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Narcogen View Post

Even if it was in their deal with the record companies, I'm pretty sure the carrier (AT&T) has it disallowed.

You might think promoting heavy data use at expensive data rates would be in AT&T's interest. It's not. For one, it would slow down their network too much, and for another, they make far more margin selling ringtones that are smaller files for other models of phones.

If Apple is going to use AT&T's network for selling music to iPhone owners, they are going to want a cut-- not just the price of traffic. My guess is that either Apple or the rights holders don't agree, or else there simply isn't a way to give everybody a cut and still price the way Apple wants to.

Long story short: there's no way to keep iTunes pricing and give AT&T a cut without making it unprofitable, probably for the record companies, almost certainly for Apple.

AT&T received iTunes revenue shares for at least some duration surrounding the original iPhone. A cut doesn't have to be a full penny of a song.

And it's pretty obvious that the no-MMS is a subversive Jobs move. I don't know why anyone thinks that it's not allowed, that Apple left it out because of scheduling, or that they're ever going to get around to it. The point of this phone, and next, with Android, is to make sure it's inevitable that carriers become pipes and nothing else.

Text messaging is still a rip, but a crapload more essential to have to communicate with the other 95% of phones on earth. Picture messaging is just awful; that anyone wants to pay additional money to transmit an email with a photo labeled MMS is like Wall-E-level materialism. MMS is desirable only because it is an entrenched system. It has no other purpose in this age of 3G.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

AT&T received iTunes revenue shares for at least some duration surrounding the original iPhone. A cut doesn't have to be a full penny of a song.

And it's pretty obvious that the no-MMS is a subversive Jobs move. I don't know why anyone thinks that it's not allowed, that Apple left it out because of scheduling, or that they're ever going to get around to it. The point of this phone, and next, with Android, is to make sure it's inevitable that carriers become pipes and nothing else.

Text messaging is still a rip, but a crapload more essential to have to communicate with the other 95% of phones on earth. Picture messaging is just awful; that anyone wants to pay additional money to transmit an email with a photo labeled MMS is like Wall-E-level materialism. MMS is desirable only because it is an entrenched system. It has no other purpose in this age of 3G.

I agree with that.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Remember as always if you have a jailbroken or unlocked iPhone you should wait to hear it's safe before upgrading to iPhone 2.1
  • Reply 49 of 56
    OK, it's the 12th but 2.0.1 is still the latest update. Does anyone know when Apple traditionally opens up the latest updates for public consumption?\
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DbMtX View Post

OK, it's the 12th but 2.0.1 is still the latest update. Does anyone know when Apple traditionally opens up the latest updates for public consumption?\

What's the rush? Do you want to be the first one to be burdened by the possible new bugs?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    I patiently waited past iPhone 1.0 until I heard that they had "better addressed the needs of business users". Just about a month ago I took the plunge. I love the general organization of the device and the "eye candy" user interface is very useful most of the time, but even with the 2.1 bug fixes, this product is not ready for prime time business users.

Probably the biggest single drawback is the lack of a local application for entering data, syncing data and backing up data. Many businesses that I work in, including mine, have web filters that do not allow access to iTunes. Therefor, I can backup, sync or otherwise maintain my data until I get to a PC with iTunes installed and access to the iTunes website. Plus trusting Apple with all my data backup, having no local access to it and having no way to enter information other than through the iPhone itself is a major oversight. This alone has made me re-think my decision.

Data importing is dismall at best. It took me almost two weeks on Apple's web site, with Apple support, on blogs and hundreds of emails to get my Palm data into the iPhone. And when it did, I could not map any of my fields from one of the WORLD's two most popular PDAs into the iPhone contacts. I could not create new fields, I could not assign new names, and the steps it took were ridiculous for a company that claims they want to play in the business space. To make matters worse, during the two weeks that I was trying to get my contacts imported, I had hand entered over 100 contact records that were immediately wiped out (with no backup) and overwritten. Thanks Apple.

Add to this the following:

No ability to Cut, Copy or Paste between notes and emails or emails and emails.

Major lags in button selections, ignored button presses, unititated returns to the home page, and device lockups.

Painfully slow data entry with no support for Grafitti, a stylus or even a desktop app.

Weak calendar importing support. And you can only have one calendar. Synching to mutiple calendars wipes out existing data. Needs to be set up like the multiple email accounts (which I REALLY LOVE!!!).

Inability to edit or create playlists on the iPhone itself.

No video capture or camera control.

No Excel or Word viewing or editing support.

Larger font sizes only works in some of the iPhone apps.

Landscape and portrait modes only work in some of the iPhone apps.

You cannot selectively delete data like voice mails. Its all or nothing.

The Contacts database is horrible. They ignore fields found in every popular PDA like record type (business, personal, etc.) but have stupid fields such as "phonetic pronounciation of first and last name"! What is that about? You cannot map incoming data to the fields you want You cannot change field names. You cannot add fields. You cannot data import or export, and the syncing they use for importing is virtually useless since you cannot do any of the other items above AND it overwrites existing data.

If you want multiple iPhones on your account, you have to pay an additional $40 per month or more per phone!

Taken all together, this product is NOT ready for adoption by the real world of business. I'm just glad my 30 days isn't up as I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to return this iPhone...

I so wanted this to work...
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmasavage View Post

I patiently waited past iPhone 1.0 until I heard that they had "better addressed the needs of business users". Just about a month ago I took the plunge. I love the general organization of the device and the "eye candy" user interface is very useful most of the time, but even with the 2.1 bug fixes, this product is not ready for prime time business users.

[...]

I'd suggest you actually using an iPhone first, before writing your diatribe, but it's clear your goal is to post falsehoods.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd suggest you actually using an iPhone first, before writing your diatribe, but it's clear your goal is to post falsehoods.

Could you highlight the bits where he's wrong?
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Could you highlight the bits where he's wrong?

There is other stuff, like complaining about having to pay for service on other phones and having trouble trying with get Palm data to mix correctly with Apple's usage of the open standards vCard, which is quite easy to do on Windows using several different mail apps.

Quote:

local application for entering data, syncing data and backing up data ... Data importing is dismall at best ... I could not create new fields, I could not assign new names ... Painfully slow data entry with no support for Grafitti, a stylus or even a desktop app ... create playlists ... No Excel or Word viewing ... You cannot selectively delete data like voice mails ... You cannot change field names. You cannot add fields. You cannot data import or export, and the syncing they use for importing is virtually useless since you cannot do any of the other items above AND it overwrites existing data.

• Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

Probably the biggest single drawback is the lack of a local application for entering data, syncing data and backing up data. Many businesses that I work in, including mine, have web filters that do not allow access to iTunes. Therefor, I can backup, sync or otherwise maintain my data until I get to a PC with iTunes installed and access to the iTunes website. Plus trusting Apple with all my data backup, having no local access to it and having no way to enter information other than through the iPhone itself is a major oversight. This alone has made me re-think my decision.

Data importing is dismall at best. It took me almost two weeks on Apple's web site, with Apple support, on blogs and hundreds of emails to get my Palm data into the iPhone. And when it did, I could not map any of my fields from one of the WORLD's two most popular PDAs into the iPhone contacts. I could not create new fields, I could not assign new names, and the steps it took were ridiculous for a company that claims they want to play in the business space. To make matters worse, during the two weeks that I was trying to get my contacts imported, I had hand entered over 100 contact records that were immediately wiped out (with no backup) and overwritten. Thanks Apple.

Add to this the following:

No ability to Cut, Copy or Paste between notes and emails or emails and emails.

Major lags in button selections, ignored button presses, unititated returns to the home page, and device lockups.

Painfully slow data entry with no support for Grafitti, a stylus or even a desktop app.

Weak calendar importing support. And you can only have one calendar. Synching to mutiple calendars wipes out existing data. Needs to be set up like the multiple email accounts (which I REALLY LOVE!!!).

Inability to edit or create playlists on the iPhone itself.

No video capture or camera control.

No Excel or Word viewing or editing support.

Larger font sizes only works in some of the iPhone apps.

Landscape and portrait modes only work in some of the iPhone apps.

You cannot selectively delete data like voice mails. Its all or nothing.

The Contacts database is horrible. They ignore fields found in every popular PDA like record type (business, personal, etc.) but have stupid fields such as "phonetic pronounciation of first and last name"! What is that about? You cannot map incoming data to the fields you want You cannot change field names. You cannot add fields. You cannot data import or export, and the syncing they use for importing is virtually useless since you cannot do any of the other items above AND it overwrites existing data.

If you want multiple iPhones on your account, you have to pay an additional $40 per month or more per phone!

Taken all together, this product is NOT ready for adoption by the real world of business. I'm just glad my 30 days isn't up as I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to return this iPhone...

I agree with solipsism, it doesn't appear that you've actually used the phone.

While a few of the things you mention are absent, most of the others are not.

I had few problems importing my data from my Palm Treo 700p. A few minor bits here and there were missing, but were quickly fixed.

You can add fields, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

You are also wrong about ignoring contact field information such as business, etc. All of my contact fields came through just fine.

Again, I don't know why you say you can't add fields, or rename them, because I can.

What do you mean by local backup, and not trusting Apple with your backups? If you are talking about backing up your phone, you do so on your own computer. At least that;s he way I've been doing it.

Some of the rest I can't comment on, because even though I've read that you can do some of them, I haven't the need myself, and so can't report it so.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    hah! OWNED!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post