2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    What's with all this chick food?

Anything I cook has two attributes:

1. Very high in protein

2. Caveman simple

The only thing I do that might be passable as "interesting" is something I call the "eggalo." I do a lot of braised meats, too, but you can find that info anywhere. The buffalo meat is important: it doesn't taste nearly as good with cow.

Eggalo

- 2 eggs

- 300g ground buffalo meat (actually american bison)

- oil of sorts (sunflower or canola are best. Don't use olive oil)

- large-ish saucepan with lid

- salt

- hot sauce

- corn syrup, honey, anything of this type

1. oil the saucepan depending on how fatty the buffalo meat is. Even if the meat is fatty, you'll want a little oil to get it going.

2. pack two patties. Make sure they are thin but not too thin. Maybe 1.5 to 2cm thick.

3. Start cooking the patties with the lid off. Medium or Medium high depending on the strength of your stove. I assume you've cooked burgers before and know how long it takes per side in order to get them to the level of "done-ness" that you like.

4. Flip the burgers. There should be a nice slick of burger fat and blood in the pan, now. Crack the two eggs and toss 'em in, adjacent to the burgers (not on top).

5. Put the lid on! this is important, because the eggs are not to be flipped. The presence of the lid allows the tops of the eggs to cook.

6. Dump the contents out of the saucepan. This takes some practice in order to do it without getting it jumbled, but no big deal either way.

7. Hit the mass with plenty of salt, honey, and hot sauce.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Pasta with Tomato and Cream Sauce and Shrimp

Cast of Characters:

Small onion

(2) cloves garlic

Olive oil.

2 tbsp butter.

1 cup tomato sauce (prepared or unprepared)

1 cup heavy cream

4-6 ounces white wine (about a half cup to two thirds of a cup)

Lots of basil and parsley

Lots of shrimp

Cooking Instructions:

Saute the shrimp in olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter until opaque (lightly undercooked). Set aside on a plate.

Dice the onions and garlic and then saute them in olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter until translucent. Add the white wine and tomato sauce. Simmer until the alcohol evaporates (5-10 minutes. You'll be able to tell by the smell). In the meantime, cut the shrimp into bite-size pieces. When the alcohol evaporates, puree the sauce in a blender. Then add the puree back to the pan.

Stir in 1 cup of heavy cream and add the shrimp and diced herbs to the sauce. Cook until the shrimp are done (5 minutes; don't let it boil). Add enough pasta to use up all the sauce (Add pasta to the sauce; don't dump the sauce over the pasta-- this recipe typically only uses up 1/2 to 3/4ths of a box depending on the noodle).

Oh yeah: cook the pasta at some point.

That's it! It's really quite good. Takes about 30 minutes altogether. Serves 2-3 maybe.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Chick Food!?

Oh Yeah?!

If you look at the extras on Robert Rodriguez's movies, sometimes he'll have a cooking bit in there. On the DVD for Once Upon a Time in Mexico, he shows you how to make this dish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA

Puerco Pibil

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

5 lbs. pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes

5 tablespoons annato seeds

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

1 tablespoon whole black pepper

1/2 teaspoon whole cloves

8 whole allspice berries

2 habanero Peppers, fresh or dried, cleaned and minced (optional)

1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 cup white vinegar

8 cloves garlic

2 tablespoons salt

5 lemons

1 shot of tequila

banana leaves (optional)

Directions:

Preparation Instructions

Grind the annato seeds, cumin seeds, whole peppercorns, whole cloves, and whole allspice in a mortar and pestle, molcajete y tejolote, spice grinder or coffe grinder.

Blend the cleaned and chopped habanero peppers with the orange juice, vinegar, garlic and salt.

Mix the dry spices with the liquid.

Add the juice of 5 lemons and a nice splash of tequila.

Place the cubed pork butt in a large zip lock bag and add the marinade. Soak 4-6 hours, in refrigerator, turning several times.

Line (8x13) baking pan with banana leaves. Pour in pork along with the marinade. Cover with Banana leaves and seal the pan with foil. Bake in a 325 F degree oven for 4 hours.

(I guess you could use parchement paper for the bananananananana leaves.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Cadillac Margarita

---------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

.5 oz Triple Sec

1.25 ounce Tequila

.5 oz [Rose's] Lime Juice

Top Off Sour Mix

.5 oz Grand Marnier

Margarita glass
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Potent but tasty margarita.

Why lime juice and sour mix?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Potent but tasty margarita.

Why lime juice and sour mix?

I dunno -- it's not Buffet's recipe (out of his boxed set) but it's pretty good.

Wait a minute -- that should read Rose's Lime Juice.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Jack and Coke

---------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

Glass full of ice

Three parts Jack

Splash of Coke

Stir with finger.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Stir with finger.

Must run in the family...
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I'm calling lundy.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Spicy Green Jasmine Rice

An awesomely spicy side dish with cilantro and poblano peppers as prominent flavors.

Ingredients

1 1/3rd cups jasmine rice

2 poblano peppers

1 jalapeno (optional)

2 handfuls cilantro

2-3 green onions

2 cups chicken broth

1 lime

1 small onion

3 cloves garlic

Olive oil

Salt/Pepper

Directions

Roast the poblano peppers. You can do this in the oven, but it's quicker to just roast the peppers by hand over a gas flame. Roast them until they're black or otherwise distorted-looking on all sides. Place in a sealed bag for 5-10 minutes to cool (This step makes them easier to peel). Then peel and take the seeds out of the peppers. (Also, don't run the peppers under water or you'll lose a lot of the flavor).

Place the peppers in a large pan with the chicken stock and 1 handful of cilantro and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, transfer the mixture to a blender and puree. (Don't get this stuff in your eyes!) Set aside.

In a large pan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Add salt and pepper. When translucent/golden, add the rice to the pan and toast for a few minutes.

Add the puree to the pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn the heat down to low, cover the pan, and let it cook for 15 minutes. It's important not to lift the lid of the pan for the next 15 minutes or the rice won't cook.

Meanwhile, chop the green onions and the other handful of cilantro.

When the rice is ready (you want the rice to be tender but still have somewhat of a bite since nothing is worse than soggy rice), turn off the heat and add the green onions, remaining cilantro, and the juice of half of a lime and stir.

That's it!

*Note:

You might want to be conservative adding the remaining cilantro during that last step since it's a strong, bitter flavor. Also, you can add a jalapeno pepper during the roasting/pureeing process but 9 times out of 10 it will make the dish *extremely* spicy. Poblano peppers are wildly inconsistent in their heat levels, so use your discretion here.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

ShawnJ;1285491]Mine has to have a very thin shell, moist body, and made from good quality eggs (ones with practically orange yolks) (incidentally, just how I like my women.)

You like women with thin shells?
  • Reply 34 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You like women with thin shells?

When I went past that the first time, I didn't reply on account of it being too weird.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Get a sense of humor, spliney. Spammy's got one.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Get a sense of humor, spliney. Spammy's got one.

Is that all you've got? Don't try to cover your tracks after making the lamest joke I've seen in months. ... you fucking know it, too.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Haha, I'm aware!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus with Garlic.

This is a nice orange-rose colored hummus with a decent flavor.

Ingredients

15 oz can of Garbanzo beans

2 tbsp Olive Oil

2 tbsp Sundried Tomatoes

2-3 garlic cloves (optional)

Juice from half of a lemon.

A bit of water if it's too thick.

Directions

Drain and rinse the beans.

Then just throw it all in a blender/food processor and blend until pureed.

I'd roast the garlic first. Raw garlic in this recipe is a little harsh. Overall it tasted alright- if a little off. Better the second day, but I wouldn't keep this stuff around for too long. I'm gonna try it with roasted garlic next time and other variations.

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Ribeye Steak with Mushrooms and Onions,

Roasted Red Potatoes with Olive Oil and Rosemary,
    and

Braised Sweetened Carrots with Ginger and Honey.

It's a fantastic twist on the old meat, po-ta-toes and and carrots ensemble. A man's meal with taste.

Ingredients:

Steak (I used a choice ribeye)

Kosher salt

Olive Oil

1 package of mushrooms

1/2 medium onion

2 tbsp butter

Potatoes (I used the small red ones)

Olive oil

Kosher salt

Fresh ground pepper

2 sprigs of rosemary

1 lb carrots

3/4 cup of orange juice

2 tbsp butter

1 tbsp honey

2/3 to 3/4 tbsp of fresh grated ginger

Directions

For the steak, pack it with loads of kosher salt on both sides and let it rest at room temperature for about 45 minutes. The science of this step is explained here. It really does wonders.

In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 375.

Boil the potatoes until they're fork-tender.

In the meantime, peel and chop the carrots to your desired thickness and grate the ginger root.

Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a pan at medium heat and add the carrots. Saute until tender but still a bit firm. Next, add the orange juice, honey, and grated ginger. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Set aside covered when done.

Next, in an oven-safe dish or whatever you have, pour in a few tbsp of olive oil. Add the potatoes and crush with a fork enough to retain their shape but still somewhat flattened. Salt, pepper, pour more olive oil over the top of the potatoes, and added chopped fresh rosemary. Bake until golden and brown.

In the meantime, chop the onion and mushrooms. I tend to chop the onions for this dish so that they're long strands instead of bite-sized pieces. Pour a tbsp of olive oil in a pan and heat on high for a few minutes (or until it reaches its smoke point). At this point, dump the mushrooms in the pan and leave them until they're nicely blackened and browned.

Add 2 tbsp of butter, a dash of kosher salt, and the onions to the pan and continue to cook until the onions are golden.

Now, finally, cook the steak. First wash the salt off the steak and pat it very dry. Then, rub each side with olive oil. Next, heat a pan on high for a few minutes and dump the steak on the pan. Cook to your likeness. Or grill it. I like it medium rare with a gorgeous brown seared outside. (Just like I like my.... okay I won't go there).
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Crispy Yogurt Chicken- Spicy Cilantro Version!

I've adapted this recipe from the Pioneer Woman, who I get a lot of my stuff from. My version uses cilantro, garlic, lime, and poblano and jalapeno peppers. A really nice twist on the old breaded chicken drumsticks thing. We're having them tomorrow cold for a penn state tailgate!

Ingredients

Chicken Drumsticks (12-14)

1 cup yogurt

3 poblano peppers, roasted

1+ jalapeno peppers

2 generous handfuls of cilantro

The juice and pulp from 1 lime

2 garlic cloves

Panko as needed.

Half stick to one stick of butter.

Kosher salt

Directions:

Chicken Drumsticks:

Peel and discard the skin. With this method of cooking, the skin doesn't get crispy at all and ends up tasting pretty gross. Just remove it in one piece.

Salt the drumsticks generously with kosher salt, wait 5-10 minutes, and rinse thoroughly. (The science of this step is explained here.)

Binding Agent.

Roast the poblano peppers over a gas stove or in the oven until they're charred on all sides. Place in a plastic bag for 10 minutes to steam the peppers. This step makes it much easier to peel the skin. (Note, don't wash the peppers after roasting or you'll lose a lot of the flavor.)

Peel the skin and remove the seeds and stem.

Place the poblano peppers in a blender with 1-2 chopped jalapeno peppers. (Use 2 or more for a strong spicy kick, 1 for mild. At this step, it will be MUCH spicier than the final baked version, so err on the side of what seems like "too much" if you really like it hot.)

Also place in a blender 2 garlic cloves, 1 generous handful of cilantro, and the juice and pulp from one lime.

Puree the mixture and then fold it into 1 cup of plain yogurt.

Finely chop the remaining cilantro and add it into the binding agent.

Coating

Salt and pepper panko breadcrumbs in a dish. Coat the drumsticks in the binding agent and then roll in the breadcrumbs until covered.

*Important step*

Place the coated drumsticks on a *rack* in a pan in the oven. If you just place them in a dish, they will end up soggy. A rack allows the juices to drip away so you can have crispy chicken.

Place a pad of butter on each drumstick. (optional)

Bake covered for 30 mins at 350, then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. After this step, I usually turn the broiler on for another 20-30 minutes to get the coating crispy. But I still haven't perfected the whole cooking time thing, so if you guys have better suggestions, let me know. I heard a similar recipe calling for 30 minutes at 450...

Alternate Versions:

Alternately, you can just use the blended mixture as a hardcore dipping sauce for the drumsticks.

(For the binding agent, just use yogurt, lemon or lime juice, diced garlic, and lots of fresh parsley or cilantro. Use the blended mixture you made for the other recipe as a dipping sauce.)