Apple's next-gen iPod nano may see return of narrow form factor

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    2nd Gen Nano was a lot easier to use than the 3rd gen one due to it's shape.

I sure hope that the new Nano does NOT use a touch screen, that would be a very bad thing for that form factor. Touch screens are cool, but you need to be able to use the controls while exercising without looking at the device, and without breaking stride. I love my iPod touch, but it's the wrong device for that use, even if it was smaller.

Using the clickwheel when the iPod is rotated is a lot easier than some of you seem to think. When I use my 160Gb iPod classic, I always have on my belt, rotated 90 degrees. I've never had an issue using the clickwheel with it rotated.

Come to think of it, a real improvement in the Nano would be to use the tactile control from the shuffle in the form factor of the 2nd Gen Nano. The smaller control would easily allow for a longer screen, and make it even better for use when exercising.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    deargdearg Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

Look at that Nano 3G screen: it's too squashed horizontally (the menu overlaps the album cover). The 4G Nano needs to be wider, not taller.

And there's the problem someone else mentioned with the purported 4G Nano of the click wheel having the text (and buttons) in the wrong location when you turn it on its side to watch video. Apple would never do that, would they?

No, rather than a super tall Nano 4G, I think it's going to be super w-i-d-e. Turn the photo from the original article on its side, then rotate the click wheel 90º. Now you've got a super w-i-d-e Nano 4G. You can view the menu and the album side-by-side without overlapping. And you can view video that way.

But it will store in your shirt pocket vertically, of course.

Doesn't that make more sense?

Makes sense to me. Just take the image from the article and rotate the iPod and the clickwheel 90 degrees. Then it all makes sense.

But maybe that's too logical for Apple. Not enough panache.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

hmmm... I still think the click-wheel will go away, but we'll see.

As for orientation, that's trivial. The function of any particular click is just a software mapping. If the accellerometer (sp?) detects a 90 degree switch, then the function of the clickwheel rotate as well. Of course that would mean no markings on the clickwheel itself.

Or a backlit clickwheel as mentioned in my earlier post. I think the mini will retain the clickwheel in order to differentiate it from the iPod Touch. All screen mini would be nice but Apple would prefer you buy an iPod Touch or an iPhone for this purpose.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigNTasty View Post

It's going to be a touch interface with a few real buttons for those of us who use it to exercise with. It will be a much more simplified interface than the iphone. Here's a mockup.

Actually that looks quite nice. I could see apple drop the clickwheel for that. The wheel is essentially there to allow for scrolling which is performed more intuitively by the iPhone's interface. Retains some physical buttons. I like.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Well, except for the original white ("pack of gum") shuffle. Many considered that to have the best sound of all the iPods released so far. My 2nd gen shuffle is definitely a step down in audio quality.

Thanks for reminding me- I have to pull mine out again. That pack of gum shuffle rocks!
  • Reply 66 of 77
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Or a backlit clickwheel as mentioned in my earlier post. I think the mini will retain the clickwheel in order to differentiate it from the iPod Touch. All screen mini would be nice but Apple would prefer you buy an iPod Touch or an iPhone for this purpose.

How would backlighting the clickwheel be an improvement?
  • Reply 67 of 77
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigNTasty View Post

It's going to be a touch interface with a few real buttons for those of us who use it to exercise with. It will be a much more simplified interface than the iphone. Here's a mockup.

If you're going that direction then they'll likely do this:

While yours doesn't look bad. I wouldn't say they'd release it.

No need for a home button (as there's no home screen). Software based back buttons instead. A play pause button for sports, and double tapping it advances to the next track. No silent/ringer switch, obviously. New external volume buttons, and they are moved up to the position where the iPhone's silent/ringer switch is.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

How would backlighting the clickwheel be an improvement?

When you rotate the device for landscape mode the navigation images on the click-wheel change places and rotate their symbol so they always in the same position in relation to each other and the user.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you rotate the device for landscape mode the navigation images on the click-wheel change places and rotate their symbol so they always in the same position in relation to each other and the user.

Nice.....but expensive.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:

Nice.....but expensive.

More than a non-illuminatable click-wheel? Sure. Expensive? Not necessarily. If they do expect you to rotate the device for watching videos they will have to make the buttons change to accommodate landscape view.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:

More than a non-illuminatable click-wheel? Sure. Expensive? Not necessarily. If they do expect you to rotate the device for watching videos they will have to make the buttons change to accommodate landscape view.

Or get rid of them entirely.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:

Or get rid of them entirely.

I don't think losing the tactile "feature" of the Nano is a good idea.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Quote:

I don't think losing the tactile "feature" of the Nano is a good idea.

You and a lot of others. I kinda feel a nano touch would be a good thing, and I don't agree that the OS couldn't be tweaked for the smaller screen. There's a bunch of really small devices out there.

That said, I don't actually think it'll happen though. Wish it would as I really dislike the 4th gen mock ups going around.....
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Quote:

You and a lot of others. I kinda feel a nano touch would be a good thing, and I don't agree that the OS couldn't be tweaked for the smaller screen. There's a bunch of really small devices out there.

That said, I don't actually think it'll happen though. Wish it would as I really dislike the 4th gen mock ups going around.....

The biggest complaint about the "fatty" Nano was the uncomfortable fit for the hand. The older style was much better for gym to quickly grab and use. You didn't have to feel over it because the shape was a clear indicator. One of the biggest complaints about the iPhone (overall) is the lack of tactile controls. This can't be helped right now. As much as i love my iPhone I do miss being able to keep the device in my pocket (simply not looking at it) while adjusting what is playing. The iPhone's double-click the headphone mic to jump to the next song is nice, but not a replacement for the being about to navigate the menu deftly. For that reason I don't think it will be lost until proper tactile response system through electrical impulses is available.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    The iPod/iTunes system captured the market for Apple with music lovers.

A less expensive, high fidelity 2G form factor with

lots more memory will do it again and kill off the would-be's.

32GB would be super. Video is a nice add-on.

If you want a toy with all the extraneous junk, go get a Touch

or an iPhone.

Music is the core of the iPod.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    The only problem I see with the 4G mockups going around are the problems posed to those that are left-handed; Apple's been able to make the iPod nano hand-generic (if that makes sense :P). What if you rotated it so the clickwheel was in your left hand, not your right? Then the screen would be upside down! Would there be an accelerometer to detect the rotation orientation? I'm not sure how this is going to work...
  • Reply 77 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vishalca View Post

The only problem I see with the 4G mockups going around are the problems posed to those that are left-handed; Apple's been able to make the iPod nano hand-generic (if that makes sense :P). What if you rotated it so the clickwheel was in your left hand, not your right? Then the screen would be upside down! Would there be an accelerometer to detect the rotation orientation? I'm not sure how this is going to work...

The iPhone can be rotated to either landscape side. The only reason i see Apple not allowing this is that the clickwheel navigation images are only viewable from two rotations, not three.