Psystar hires attorneys who've faced Apple before

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

On one hand, I think Mac OS 10 is, by far, the best OS out there. The reason it works only on the Macintosh is that Apple obviously wants to create quality products that don't take an advanced logician to use. There is a reason that Steve Jobs panned Flash on the iPhone. Mac OS was made so that users would have an all-in-one solution - whether developing, creating digital art, or editing video - to intuitively take care of all one's computing needs. With Windows, you just get the base system - even in the most intricate versions of Vista - for which you still need to install loads of software on to do what most base Macs can do.

On the other hand, I really would like this OS to be available on other types of computers as well. The reason most gamers and computer nerds can use PCs is that, well, you can customize the hardware however you want to get the power and experience you need. There are obviously more ways one can have Windows on a computer. Plus, you do not need a virtualizer to run LINUX software on a PC; you just switch out the Windows OS for the LINUX one. Therefore, PCs tend to attract a lot of do-it-yourself computer geeks.

Apple's greatest strengths have often been their biggest weaknesses. Essentially, they provide everything one will ever need, but they do not allow for a whole lot of options for diversification. Microsoft, according to macrumors.com, are shifting their strategy to focus more on Apple's "end-to-end" model while still retaining an emphasis on choice. The reason Apple still hasn't taken over the Personal Computer market yet is that they tend to go with a policy where it's up to you to choose a complete Apple experience or a complete Windows experience. Call me evil if you wish, but if Apple were to follow a strategy similar to how Microsoft is adjusting theirs - including unchaining their OS from their computers, I personally think that Apple would have a lot larger of a customer base then it does now.

Mark Shuttleworth has requested the Linux Communities to improve Linux to go against OS X, not Windows.

The fact is that many GEEKS in the Linux Community have switched to Mac OS X. I use both Linux and OS X and to think Apple should listen to Psystar is ludicrous.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Psystar are retarded, they don't have a case.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Here's hoping the little guy can pull a win out.

The whole electronics industry has gotten completely absurd and needs a total overhaul. Somebody has to turn the whole industry upside down and shake it out.

What if General Motors sued YOU because you were putting THEIR OIL in somebody else's engine?

I am sick and tired of perverted protectionism where every company in the business carves out their little piece of turf and then hunkers down with an army of lawyers and sues the shit out of everybody who walks by.

The reason we can't record a TV show and automatically bypass the commercials is because TV-land's entrenched gentry sued the company who developed the technology until they drove them out of business.

Who gives a flying rat's ass whether Pystar violated Apple's End User License or not? Just because it's called an "End User License" does not make it law, or even legal for that matter; nor does it make it right or even ethical. This is why we have a legal system and courts. If allowed, Apple would frame their End User Agreements to tell all of us when we can or can't sit down on the crapper.

From the IP attorneys who work for us, the opinion seems to be that there's a good chance Pystar can win this case, and if there wasn't, it's highly doubtful an experienced, busy & expensive law firm such as Carr & Ferrell would have agreed to take the case on.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    pqkellypqkelly Posts: 1member
    Here's from Apple's EULA for Mac OS 10.5:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single

Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more

than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it

could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

It seems that Apple may have let Psystar sell enough rope to hang itself. By letting the company sell enough computers to bankrupt it if they lose the case, Apple has solved the problem in a permanent way.

Apple's waiting seems very logical now.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PQKelly View Post

Here's from Apple's EULA for Mac OS 10.5:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single

Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more

than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it

could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

It seems that Apple may have let Psystar sell enough rope to hang itself. By letting the company sell enough computers to bankrupt it if they lose the case, Apple has solved the problem in a permanent way.

Apple's waiting seems very logical now.

Clever.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:

The whole electronics industry has gotten completely absurd and needs a total overhaul. Somebody has to turn the whole industry upside down and shake it out.

What if General Motors sued YOU because you were putting THEIR OIL in somebody else's engine?

I am sick and tired of perverted protectionism where every company in the business carves out their little piece of turf and then hunkers down with an army of lawyers and sues the shit out of everybody who walks by.

The reason we can't record a TV show and automatically bypass the commercials is because TV-land's entrenched gentry sued the company who developed the technology until they drove them out of business.

Who gives a flying rat's ass whether Pystar violated Apple's End User License or not? Just because it's called an "End User License" does not make it law, or even legal for that matter; nor does it make it right or even ethical. This is why we have a legal system and courts. If allowed, Apple would frame their End User Agreements to tell all of us when we can or can't sit down on the crapper.

From the IP attorneys who work for us, the opinion seems to be that there's a good chance Pystar can win this case, and if there wasn't, it's highly doubtful an experienced, busy & expensive law firm such as Carr & Ferrell would have agreed to take the case on.

Come on MATT. Apple does not want to support every little piece of hardware on the planet like Microsoft cares to do. THATS IT. That's not protectionism, it is common sense.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    "What if General Motors sued YOU because you were putting THEIR OIL in somebody else's engine?"

Then they would be a laughing stock, since they don't produce oil.

I'll mark you down as someone who does not believe in intellectual property, copyrights, or that anyone should have any control over what they invent/produce. I'll bet your IP law-yahs don't share that view.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    I think the author needs a proof reader before submitting articles
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notes999 View Post

Come on MATT. Apple does not want to support every little piece of hardware on the planet like Microsoft cares to do. THATS IT. That's not protectionism, it is common sense.

Microsoft does NOT do that.

They're big enough to let the manufacturers write Windows drivers for their products.

In fact, Windows Hardware Compatibility List covers just a small fraction of all hardware that is being sold out there.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

[...]

Do you use OS X? Theoretically, if Psystar wins then all Psystar would be doing is forcing Apple to add authentication keys to the OS install (something Mac users enjoy not keeping track of) and raising the price to some at least in the Windows Vista Ultimate range (something that Mac users enjoy not having to pay for an upgrade). This would weaken the "Mac experience" and destroy Apple's Mac business plan from day one in which it builds software to sell hardware. No one wins here, except the lawyers. Even Psystar loses as they now have to sell a $400+ version of OS X with their machines.

But that EULA isn't the issue here, it's the illegally copied and installed version of OS X that each and every Psystar machine has, not the copy of OS X that they sold along with it but was never used.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Not all PCs look like crap. In fact, there are some from Alienware and Cyber Power PC that look amazing. I'm sure one could still create another chassis if one was creative enough. Also, I have seen plenty of PC users that are not complete nerds. Overall, I think Psystar's juncture has a lot more to do with options for the user, not just aesthetic style. In other words, your argument, I think, is extremely biased.

True Alienware's computers aren't crap, but then they aren't cheap PCs either, like Psystar's "cheap crap".

As for Psystar winning this, that's not likely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s

Come back when you have something stolen from you that pays for your livelyhood and your yelling "thief". These guys are thieves. Just like the people that sell cheap knock-offs of Levi Jeans, Ray-Bans, iPods, etc...
  • Reply 32 of 88
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcusandree View Post

Microsoft does NOT do that.

They're big enough to let the manufacturers write Windows drivers for their products.

In fact, Windows Hardware Compatibility List covers just a small fraction of all hardware that is being sold out there.

Right. And look how many problems there are with all the different hardware.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Great Idea Pystar! Hire Patent Lawyers who have faced a company before on completely different grounds! If one team of lawyers has drawn Apple to the point where they are bored with a case, than surely, they will win against a likely different set of Apple lawyers on entirely different (and less stable) grounds. Well done.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

This being said, I'd like to take a moment to address the cynics on this board who have so much pent up angst against the hackintosh community... You simply have no understanding of the OSx86 community. We're not pirates; we're not anti-Apple; we're not malicious... We're your fellow mac-using brethren who need hardware solutions that address a market segment that Apple has abandoned: PROSUMER.

If Apple builds it, we will come (back). Until then, we will continue to find ways to use the hardware we need with the software we need.

-Clive

I'd like to believe that, but can easily envision much clamor that Apple's prosumer tower is overpriced and that argument used as the justification for using Apple's IP without their permission.

The truth is too many people want the ability to determine what the manufacturer/retailer can charge. They do not have this right. They do have the right to determine that they are unwilling to pay the asking price and find a suitable substitute. I'll leave it for each individual and the courts to sort our whether their solution is both ethical and legal.

It is interesting to juxtapose this argument against those complaining about immigrants and off-shore workers diminishing their ability to make a livable wage. Some insist on being paid top dollar but are comfortable demanding that everything be provided to them at the biggest bargain.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    They are only buying time. They'll probably try to sell as many systems as they can and then fold.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    +mimic+mimic Posts: 37member
    Quote:

The reason Apple still hasn't taken over the Personal Computer market yet is that they tend to go with a policy where it's up to you to choose a complete Apple experience or a complete Windows experience. Call me evil if you wish, but if Apple were to follow a strategy similar to how Microsoft is adjusting theirs - including unchaining their OS from their computers, I personally think that Apple would have a lot larger of a customer base then it does now.

Perhaps give some thought as to why Apple does what it does Apple has never had the intention on being in every box, but being the best user experience. PERIOD! That has been the whole primes to their developing. Sure, they want sale like anyone else, but being the biggest, does not mean you are the best. And look at the $$; its not like they are struggling. So please STOP trying to make Apple out to be like M$. M$ competes on size while Apple competes on quality. They have tight controls which keeps the user experience very high!

Quote:

Good point. While Apple does make good products, it does get a little overprotective about its intellectual property. The company basically has a DRM-like policy for everything the company creates. Meanwhile, Microsoft - although their OS is obviously shitty in the first place - has an attitude of transparency, where different companies can implement their own creative juices into the Windows experience. If you ask me, Apple is being much more of a Napoleon than a messiah here.

WHAT? Please point out an example where M$ has transparency?? M$ has their OS locked tight while Apple uses large amounts of open source code. Please show me anything related to what you are talking about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

No you asshole, the reason why you can't record TV and automatically bypass commercials is because these commercials PAY to allow said TV shows to produce and air. Without sponsorship, there would be no content you fool!

Quote:

Its called Capitalism you schmuck! But you see it as ok for someone to work hard, develop a product, establish themselves in a market place, and have someone else with an army of lawyers come and take it from them?? Or allow others to use it outside the intentions of the inventor?

I care rather anyone violates anyone else's IP agreements. It's Apples IP to do with as THEY want, not as you want. Why should they NOT be allowed to sell software on their hardware? Next, you will want to strip the TiVo code out and run it on a theft box, or run your phone software on another brands hardware?

What is there to win? You agree to install Apple software on to Apple hardware. When you don't you breach that agreement and can be held accountable.

I really hate assholes like you Thinking everyone has the right to take from anyone else. Why don't you list YOUR money making ideas here and let us run with them and make money for ourselves. I gather you think it is fine to download movies and music for free also!!

People like you are worse than lawyers.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I don't think there's the slightest chance that Psystar can win this lawsuit. Apple has the right to license or not license their software in whatever way they see fit.

What's next, demanding that the iPhone version of OSX be licensed to Motorola and other cell phone manufacturers?

The whole thing is stupid.

That's just an absolute and absolutely false statement. When a company sells a product, there are plenty of rights that consumers automatically get with the purchase of that product. You mention licensing, but the licensing point is Apple's weakest argument. Their argument is that the terms in the EULA are completely enforceable, a position that is hardly proven. EULAs are one sided non-negotiated contracts and are inherently suspect. That doesn't mean many of the terms aren't enforceable, but it's not automatic. The part in the EULA about running a legally purchased copy of OS X on non-Apple hardware is very unlikely enforceable.

Apple may win on some of its claims, but what worries me about the comments I constantly see is that intellectual property rights are too often perceived as absolute. IP is an artificially defined entity (as opposed to real, physical property) and has specific purposes for its legal existence. Conveying perpetual and absolute rights over the IP is definitely not one of those purposes.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ?MiMiC View Post

What is there to win? You agree to install Apple software on to Apple hardware. When you don't you breach that agreement and can be held accountable.

I really hate assholes like you Thinking everyone has the right to take from anyone else. Why don't you list YOUR money making ideas here and let us run with them and make money for ourselves. I gather you think it is fine to download movies and music for free also!!

You seem to be under the impression that intellectual property is some absolute ownership over the "thing" itself, when it isn't. There is a grossly incorrect perception that copyrights (along with patents and trademarks) are like a physical piece of property where the property owner has exclusive access and therefore rights over that property. It takes only a moderate moment of thinking to realize this isn't true. IP has severe restrictions around it, with variations depending on the type of IP. Copyright and patents, for example are for an explicitly limited period of time for the sole purpose of giving exclusivity to the creator so that they can profit from it. That specifically in the US Constitution. There are also many rights and freedoms that consumers enjoy like fair use of copyrighted material.

What you espouse is that someone can use a contract to secure greater rights for themselves that they normally would have. That seems a bit outrageous if you just think about it. The Psystar case will show many different areas of the law, but on the specific issue on the enforceability of certain provisions in the EULA, Apple has a fairly weak case - especially in regards to the "you can install only on Apple hardware". If Apple sells a boxed copy of OS X and I go in and buy it, Apple cannot put artificial restrictions on my use of that item that would deny my normal legal rights.

If you think you can contract away everything and anything, then you just are plain wrong and there's no sense discussing it.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member
    if Apple were to follow a strategy similar to how Microsoft is adjusting theirs - including unchaining their OS from their computers, I personally think that Apple would have a lot larger of a customer base then it does now.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Apple would indeed gain a significantly larger marketshare. On the other hand, many of us consider it extremely important to retain all the simplicity built into what you call the "Apple Experience". That's why we did not go to the PC to begin with.

I strongly suspect that this could be one of those cases where you can't have cake until you eat the broccoli.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    well if you go by the eula all you have to do is stick an apple logo on the case right?

That would "Label" the machine apple.