Why will Jag be free? ...adoption rates

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Seems like a bad move, to charge for Jaguar. Isn't it in Apple's best interest to speed up the adoption of OS X? If everyone is running Jaguar, this will improve Apple's image. But lots of people will stick with 10.1 rather than upgrade to Jaguar.

I do have to admit that Jaguar has enough new features to charge, and I'll be buying it. I guess Apple needs short term profits more than a long-term reputation.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Since my dad's a teacher I can get Jaguar for $69, but I'm still pissed that we have to pay full price for Jaguar.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yep, I think $130 is definitely steep. Luckily, Education price is $69, so I could pay for it. It's more than the $30 I was hoping for, but I have some time to think before deciding whether to upgrade. Also, a question: do ADC student memberships include copies of system software? I was considering getting an ADC student membership anyway, so if I can get a copy of Jaguar via that, it'd be nice.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Look guys, every time in the past with the Mac OS we have had to pay $99.00 for a major upgrade. $ 129.00 is more but, in case you haven't noticed the price of things keeps going up. I don't see this as out of line at all. You guys have just got too used to the many free updates. This is different. I've already placed my order.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Thats not true. Its been a while, but I remember paying $80-85 for the 8.5 update.

$130 is bu11shit! (and don't even bother telling me how much more M$ charges). It really comes down to principle.

Earlier in this thread, I made a point of not saying Apple owed us anything. But, I was talking about GIVING that OS to us. How in the hell do you tell people who are upgrading to pay the same price as first time buyers?!

Paying the full price is ridiculous. Apple is sticking it to the people who have supported OSX, bugs and all, from the beginning.

Damn, too bad I don't use a PC. Then at least Apple would act like they gave a shi? about me.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Funny I remember paying $99.00 for every major upgrade since OS 8. As I said prices go up. OS 9 ( which was $99.00 ) was 4 years ago now. This is obviously a more labour intensive upgrade than that. You will be paying for things all of your life. Wake up and smell the coffee!

And please don't give me that " well this is a point release " that obviously doesn't correlate the same as it did in the classic OS ( besides they can call it whatever they want ).

PS. Oh that's right I remember getting an instore special deal for 8.5 it cost $89.00 ( big deal ).

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 54
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Funny, you must of been ripped off. I definitely paid less than $90 at CompUSA (I usually upgrade immediately, so not much time had passed from release). I think Apple is, once again, showing its arrogant attitude toward its most loyal customers. I mean, not even a $20 price break.

[quote] You will be paying for things all of your life. Wake up! <hr></blockquote>

Thank you åsshole, I hadn't noticed this until now.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    10.2 cannot be called a major upgrade. It's just now getting to a state that it can be called "finished". For that Apple has to snatch another $120 out of your pocket.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh bullpuckey.

Do you have any idea the scope of what was demo'd today? Apparently not. Apparently the only things that matter are MHz, and getting MacOS 9 back. Oh, both for free, thanks.

Jebus H. Christ on a flaming pogo stick.

Apparently, major infrastructure changes and upgrades are 'nothing'. Unless it's got a shiny new whiz bang UI element to it, it's just not worth a damned penny.

I give up.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There's plenty of stuff in Jaguar that hasn't been part of any OS, least of all OS 9. So the attitude that "it's finally finished" is ignoring a lot of what has changed. But i'm not surprised considering who is delivering these comments. If it makes you feel better, I'll let you keep saying it and I won't bother you again.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Don't tell anyone but when I worked for buy.com you could locate the media kit for OS X on their site for something like $20, includes all 3 CDs (they also had a manual kit for about $15). Their system is automatically tied into Ingram's so it lets you order that even though it's not a consumer product. To find it you have to search for Mac OS X. If it's still available that might be an option when 10.2 comes out to get a fair price. I used that trick to get started with X (Later on spending someone else's money I bought the full version of 10.1 to avaoid wating for weeks for Apple to send a CD.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>Damn, too bad I don't use a PC. Then at least Apple would act like they gave a shi? about me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ROTFL
  • Reply 53 of 54
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]Isn't it in Apple's best interest to speed up the adoption of OS X? <hr></blockquote>

Wait a minute. Are you saying that OS X 10.2 should be given away for free? To people that do not have OS X at the moment?
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Keda,

You will be paying for things all of your life. Wake up!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Thank you åsshole, I hadn't noticed this until now ".

I still don't think you get it.