Apple may have new Cinema Displays ready for Macworld

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    aheneenaheneen Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

They could sell the same 30-inch display for about $1000 less with the technology that is in there right now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nobody sells a 30" monitor for $1,000 less than Apple. A couple of hundred or so.

A quick search of "30 monitor" on Amazon reveals the following prices for 30" monitors:

-Samsung SyncMaster $1247.82http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMa...8077494&sr=8-1

-HP (square?) $1379.99http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packar...8077454&sr=8-3

-HP (widescreen) $1667.97http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packar...8077400&sr=8-4

-Apple $1739.99http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cinema-3...8077519&sr=8-5

-Gateway $1599.99http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-XHD300...077610&sr=8-38

-NEC MultiSync $2244.99http://www.amazon.com/NEC-MultiSync-...077658&sr=1-20

-Samsung $4327.41 (why so much, I don't know. See:http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMa...067974&sr=8-36

Specifications for these may differ a little from Apple's display (included in the list). Also, you may find them cheaper at some other online retailers. These are all monitors not tvs, and none mentioned having a tuner card for tv. With its sleek aluminum look, I'd say Apple's 30" display is reasonably priced...it's the 20" display whose price needs to drop a bit.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

-Samsung $4327.41 (why so much, I don't know. See:http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMa...067974&sr=8-36

It's a LED BLU with a color gamut of 123% NTSC. I don't know how to quantify that except to say that it's well beyond Apple's offerings.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    Displayport is eventually going to replace DVI. It would be nice if Apple were to put both ports on their monitors, to ease the transition.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Displayport is eventually going to replace DVI. It would be nice if Apple were to put both ports on their monitors, to ease the transition.

I expect there will just be a DP-to-DVI connector for those with older systems.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    aheneenaheneen Posts: 75member
    Quote:

It's a LED BLU with a color gamut of 123% NTSC. I don't know how to quantify that except to say that it's well beyond Apple's offerings.

Ok, well there weren't any real tech specs on its page. Anyways, I don't really care as I have no need for one (and I'm not saying that to be rude).
  • Reply 66 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I expect there will just be a DP-to-DVI connector for those with older systems.

There will be adapters. But, in my experience, monitors tend to stick around and be reused when the computers they're attached to get replaced. Putting a DP input on the monitors would be a good sign of (not sure exactly how to phrase this) future support. Eventually we'll want to do away with the adapters and just use a straight cable.

And there's no law that says Apple can only put one input on a Cinema Display. DVI can live alongside DP for a generation, especially with the kind of price premium these monitors will surely have.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:

Putting a DP input on the monitors would be a good sign of (not sure exactly how to phrase this) future support. Eventually we'll want to do away with the adapters and just use a straight cable.

And there's no law that says Apple can only put one input on a Cinema Display. DVI can live alongside DP for a generation, especially with the kind of price premium these monitors will surely have.

The best way to achieve this future support is to just use DP from the beginning with the new ACDs. It has HDCP and can understand DVI so there is no reason to have both cables and inputs for the new ACDs. My comment about a DP-to-DVI connector for older systems is for older computers that only have DVI ports out to connect to new ACDs with DP in.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    Dell has already taken the cake as the first with DP monitors. I'm sure the folks over in Cupertino aren't happy Dell beat then to something, so DP it is then for the next line of Cinema Displays...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=223-4890
  • Reply 69 of 94
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

The best way to achieve this future support is to just use DP from the beginning with the new ACDs. It has HDCP and can understand DVI so there is no reason to have both cables and inputs for the new ACDs. My comment about a DP-to-DVI connector for older systems is for older computers that only have DVI ports out to connect to new ACDs with DP in.

Then it better have multiple DP inputs. I'm sure Apple would love for you to buy a separate monitor for each computer you have, but not everyone has the space on their desk. KVM boxes also take up space, and using remote desktop does not always provide good performance.
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Then it better have multiple DP inputs. I'm sure Apple would love for you to buy a separate monitor for each computer you have, but not everyone has the space on their desk. KVM boxes also take up space, and using remote desktop does not always provide good performance.

How many monitors have multiple inputs?
  • Reply 71 of 94
    Quote:

Almost all of them. Dell's high-end 24" has two DVI ports, an HDMI port, and a DisplayPort, as well as VGA, Component, and Composite analog inputs. My 24" LG monitor only has one digital input- HDMI- but a full array of analog ports.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you certain that every pixel has its own LED? There is only one display that I'm aware of that has one backlight per pixel, and I'm pretty sure it was a few tens of thousands of dollars.

I was going to respond to this on Wed, but in the middle of the post, I had to leave.

It can't be one LED per pixel. There are several regions behind the display that can be moved up or down in brightness. The problem with this is that it spills over to areas adjacent to the one needing the brightness change. Not too noticeable for moving scenes, but still not ideal.
  • Reply 73 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Can you explain their current line-up in any other way? For instance, if Apple wanted buyers of Minis to also purchase a display, why would their cheapest display be the same price as the Mini? I don't think it's a stretch to assume what Apple believes about its customers based upon the products that they choose to sell (and choose not to sell).

And, yes, they are quite wrong -- not everyone fits into the precise segment to which each of Apple's products are aimed. But then, Apple is not Dell: they're not even trying to please everyone.

As I said, prices have come down by half, and Apple is restricted from dropping them much further by the cost of materials used.

You must understand that whenever Apple came out with these new displays, their prices were UNDER that of potential competitors, not above.

Just like Apple doesn't make really cheap items though, they feel peope will buy their displays. They must be at least partly correct, as they are still selling their old line. I see these displays in many other places than with Mac Pros. It doesn't mean that most people buying Minis will buy one, but that some will.

The biggest limitation to Apple's displays is not the cost, but the fact that Apple offers no on-screen controls, making them very difficult for most PC users to adjust.

Will Apple ever offer a "bargain" display? Likely not. They don't offer bargain computers either.
  • Reply 74 of 94
    Quote:

I think if Apple were to make it's movie into offering BRD support it would be with Montevina. Isn't it the first Intel mobile chipset to offer native HDCP? I also think the ACDs will come with the refresh in early 2009.

What I'm not so confident about anymore is Apple going with DisplayPort over HDMI. Both are much lower profile than DVI, which is good for these thin notebooks Apple likes to create, and both offer features the other doesn't.
    "One recent audio/video connector interface is DisplayPort which had version 1.0 approved in May 2006 and is supported in a few computer monitors. Currently no CE displays or AV receivers have been released that support DisplayPort and the DisplayPort website states that DisplayPort is expected to complement HDMI.

"There are a few advantages that HDMI has over DisplayPort such as support for the xvYCC color space, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA bitstream support, CE control signals, and compatibility with DVI. DisplayPort has an advantage that it is currently royalty free which might allow it to be cheaper to implement while the HDMI royalty is 4 cents per device. Most of the DisplayPort supporters are computer companies with its largest supporter being Dell which has released two computer monitors that support both DisplayPort and HDMI."

xvYCC is Deep Color, what I mentioned before.

Apple is a member of a competing organization which some might remember. That is UDI. I'll refer people to this old AI page about it:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ed_at_idf.html
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:

Almost all of them. Dell's high-end 24" has two DVI ports, an HDMI port, and a DisplayPort, as well as VGA, Component, and Composite analog inputs. My 24" LG monitor only has one digital input- HDMI- but a full array of analog ports.

So, Apple hasn't shown even the slightest bit of interest in going that way. They really seem to want to keep things separate.

Other monitors came out with multiple ports way before Apple's latest offerings. I remember how disappointed most of us were about Apple not following suit.

If this new rumor about new monitors is true, it will be interesting to see where they go with them. If there is not HDMI or equiv, with no HDCP, then we may kiss the idea of Apple supporting any hi def formats other than whatever they do with the ATv, goodbye. Unless, the new Mac Pro does support it before Macworld, as it will likely come out before then (I hope).
  • Reply 76 of 94
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

Of the 5 LCD monitors I own (one is for the wife's computers), all but my Apple Al 23" have multiple inputs. This includes an aging 17" NEC (2x VGA), a 20" LG (1x DVI, 1x VGA), a 20" WS Dell (1 xDVI, 1x VGA, 1x RCA, 1x SVHS) and an 24" WS EIZO (2x DVI). Even my 3 smaller HDTV LCDs have multiple PC inputs (VGA and DVI), as well as the big Sony LCD TV.

WISH LIST:

For new Cinema Displays, I'd like to see multiple inputs, built-in camera, and 12- or 14-bit factory tested and calibrated color on larger Pro models like my EIZO has.

Can't believe no one asked for swivel support, although I never use it personally, some folks might appreciate it.

Thinner bezels are always welcome (I work with three side-by-side screens connected to my Mac Pro. And front mounted controls instead of one the side. (Ever try to get to the Power button an an ACD when you have two of them side-by-side? Design over function...)

AND... real height adjustment instead of just tilting.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:

[QUOTE=zanshin;1290929]Of the 5 LCD monitors I own (one is for the wife's computers), all but my Apple Al 23" have multiple inputs. This includes an aging 17" NEC (2x VGA), a 20" LG (1x DVI, 1x VGA), a 20" WS Dell (1 xDVI, 1x VGA, 1x RCA, 1x SVHS) and an 24" WS EIZO (2x DVI). Even my 3 smaller HDTV LCDs have multiple PC inputs (VGA and DVI), as well as the big Sony LCD TV.[quote]

I should be more clear. How many ACDs have multiple inputs. IOW, why must they add more all of a sudden when they haven't in the past. Furthermore, one DP input can also connect to HDMI and DVI and the VGA, Composite and S-Video mentioned are even more outdated. Though I do like the ability of the Dell to have PIP to watch TV on the screen, though I think I'd rather have it pass through my machine so I can capture and resize the window at will.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

WISH LIST:

For new Cinema Displays, I'd like to see multiple inputs, built-in camera, and 12- or 14-bit factory tested and calibrated color on larger Pro models like my EIZO has.

I think it will have an iSight camera 4x the resolution of the current iMac cameras. I'd also expect an IR sensor in the displays so that the Mac Pro can finally have Front Row and other Apple Remote functionality without an insightful 3rd-party accessory.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

xvYCC is Deep Color, what I mentioned before.

Apple is a member of a competing organization which some might remember. That is UDI. I'll refer people to this old AI page about it:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ed_at_idf.html

That was the best choice back when we thought the ACDs should have been updated, but it's looking defunct at this point. From Wikipedia...
    "There has been no announcements made about UDI since early 2007 and the UDI website is no longer operational. [...] In early 2007 Samsung and Intel withdrew from the UDI SIG and no further announcements about UDI have been made since then."
  • Reply 79 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I should be more clear. How many ACDs have multiple inputs. IOW, why must they add more all of a sudden when they haven't in the past. Furthermore, one DP input can also connect to HDMI and DVI and the VGA, Composite and S-Video mentioned are even more outdated. Though I do like the ability of the Dell to have PIP to watch TV on the screen, though I think I'd rather have it pass through my machine so I can capture and resize the window at will.

I would like to be able to connect an HD source. I would buy another ACD if it offered a second input if that input was HDMI.
  • Reply 80 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would like to be able to connect an HD source. I would buy another ACD if it offered a second input if that input was HDMI.

Do the ones that have HDMI inputs also have digital audio out passthrough from the HDMI?