Gartner approves iPhone for limited enterprise use

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Well, until there's a Powerpoint or Keynote viewer app for the iPhone, the only other option would be to record a desktop video of you running through the presentation on your computer, then play that back as you speak (pausing at points as needed).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by landy View Post

Your laptop can't run powerpoint or Keynote? or your phone? I've never seen a presentation given from a phone.. maybe my company isn't cool enough i guess. I rock my MBP but most of my coworkers use their ugly T61p bricks. It sounds cool in theory though to be able to present from your phone... do they sell an adapter for the VGA Dsub connector to plug into the projector?

I have not a laptop. This is presentation from a phone:

http://www.impatica.com/showmate

Why? Because people do not want to carry heavy and bulky laptops. Even the MacBook Air is to heavy and large for us. We want it in our pocket. So, you create the presentation on your desktop, move it to the handheld and use the latter for the presentation. Watch the commercial People-ready searching for "No Baggage" at:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us

FANTASTIC AND AMAZING!!! THAT IS WHAT WE NEED, BUT WITH MAC OS X INSIDE!!!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Sadly, the iPhone is NOT prepared for the enterprise or even the higher education market because it is NOT compatible with essential solutions like this:

Besides, opening (and if possible editing) full NATIVE Office files is a must as well. No exporting as static slides or as a movie, but true NATIVE file support for wired and wireless presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint presentation files.

A shame!

Oh yes! Because what would all those Engineering Departments, Mathematics, Applied Sciences and more at every university in the planet do if the iPhone doesn't have Showmate support built-in?

They couldn't possibly be useful without a Java stack.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    [QUOTE=

Expandable memory is touted as a advantage... but is it? When your "IT-Approved" phone is lost or stolen, the precious corporate data can be easily popped out of the phone-- where it is immune to remote wipe (and can be analyzed at leisure). A thief could easily steal the corporate "jewels" in a few seconds!

[/QUOTE]

Corporations can disable the use of memory cards. My last company did that.

Steve
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Sadly, the iPhone is NOT prepared for the enterprise or even the higher education market because it is NOT compatible with essential solutions like this:

Besides, opening (and if possible editing) full NATIVE Office files is a must as well. No exporting as static slides or as a movie, but true NATIVE file support for wired and wireless presentations from NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint presentation files.

A shame!

Let's see, I'm faculty in higher education (Harvard Medical School), give presentations more than once/week, use an iPhone, and it works perfectly in our environment (although it has never occurred to me to try an actually present off my phone)... YOUR users may not use laptops and you have no machines built into your lecture halls, and if you don't want to use laptops AND don't want to use imported versions, then yes, the iphone is suboptimal, but this sounds like an atypical case.

However, most higher education users DO use laptops (or a USB thumb drive with machines in the lecture halls). Despite having been faculty at both Harvard and NYU (both huge higher-education institutions), I have never seen a cell phone used to give a presentation. What I will bemoan is the lack of a sandboxed thumb-drive equivalent on the iPhone, so I can carry my presentation on my iPhone like I did on my iPod, and plug into those machines (easier to lose a thumb drive vs. your phone).
  • Reply 25 of 25
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henryhbk View Post

YOUR users may not use laptops.

Some of them have laptops (others do not), but ALL would love and purchase a handheld solution like the one that I have indicated above that now works only with Windows. A MAC SOLUTION IS WHAT IS NEEDED HERE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by henryhbk View Post

I have never seen a cell phone used to give a presentation.

Well, check out the Microsoft "People Ready" commercial that I indicate above. IT IS AWESOME.

Last but not least, such handheld device is also most needed for presentations at scientific meetings, where the onsite computer is Windows-based (and thus breaks PowerPoint presentations made on Mac containing tables, animations, video, special fonts, etc; of course no way for Keynote here). IT IS NOT THE SAME CARRYING A HANDHELD THAT HAVING TO CARRY A BULKY LAPTOP. As said, even the MacBook Air os too large and too heavy for us. We need the computer in our pocket-hand.