Inside iPhone 2.0: MobileMe Push Messaging

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm saying don't waste your energy voicing to those that can't help and voice them in a way to maximize your results.

I've already done this. We are voicing our objections to the overall lack of service and lack of communication from Apple.

Quote:

The loss of even 1 email, much less one account holders email or even 1% is unbelievable in this day and age. They'e stated that it's all been restored but I've heard some say that isn't true. If you have lost email then I suggest calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. If you've done it then I'd call again and have it escalated.

I've already done this. We are voicing our objections to the overall lack of service and lack of communication from Apple.

It is unbelieveable in this day and age. That's why we are complaining about it, and I believe you would as well.

Quote:

I hope you aren't suggesting that Apple not ever update the .Mac code unless all .Mac members agree to it? I don't recall anyone complaining last year when mail was updated. Unlike native apps where you have a choice to upgrade, companies with web-based apps have to take that risk. We've had issues on AI forums when they've updated vBulletin. Paid or free these issues do happen. Apple has admitted that they shouldn't have tried to do it all at once and apologized for it so our choices are we can stop using MM or hope for now is that they have learned from this mistake.

Again, I am not talking about this. I'm talking about the apologists who claim that no one should complain to Apple because "mobileme is new tech." That's a bunch of hogwash.

Quote:

1-800-MY-APPLE will get you a CSR.

I've done this and continue to have lack of service, which is why I (and many others) are complaining and continue to complain. Ultimately, it will probably end up with me cancelling my subscription.

Quote:

I am sure you can get your money back if you tried. They are fixing it and we have admittance of fault, progress with MM working better and an apology. I'm not sure what more you want except getting your money back.

I'm sure I will get my money back as well. What am I expecting? FIX THE PROBLEM.

Quote:

I'd get Gmail and start to get your contacts to change this address by having your outgoing mail all come from the Gmail account. But you don't want to have to view two accounts so can just have your mac.com address auto-forward the mail to Gmail. And once you finally get the majority of your contacts using Gmail you can have an auto reply for your mac.com address that informs people to update their address books to your new email address.

This is definitely being considered.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

This is definitely being considered.

If you don't wish on changing your email address but fear Apple losing your mail again you can always just do the mail forwarding to gmail from MM. This way you'll have a separate service and servers storing your emails in case Apple (or even you) delete something accidentally.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Quote:

So, if you lost your e-mail, etc. (basically part of the so-called 1%), what would you do then? Say nothing?

I was affected. My Mail app on my Mac has been acting squirrelly since the switchover (showing that I had an unread message on the Dock icon when there wasn't one, plus showing ghost emails in threads). It only seemed to resolve itself yesterday, and I haven't fully verified that it has. It wasn't a huge issue for me because most of the mail in my inbox (around 1300 or so) is old stuff I haven't gotten around to cleaning out. There's nothing mission critical in there and no one should be relying on .Mac/MobileMe for business purposes anyway.

Besides, if I was part of the so-called 1%, I didn't need to say anything; others were complaining, quite loudly, more than enough! Adding my voice to the chorus would have done nothing to speed things along. Plus, it wasn't like Apple was NOT responding. Steve Jobs was undoubtedly on a rampage that whole weekend not letting anyone on the MobileMe team sleep.

Quote:

How about I put it this way? Lets say power was lost for 1% of the city and you were part of this 1%, you wouldn't complain?

I wouldn't complain so much as report the problem through proper channels (which is what I do during a power outage). As a matter of fact, I sent several reports to Apple Feedback. At the time, the problem was being publicized quite vehemently in forums such as this by angry users from the start. And Apple, from the start, acknowledged that there were problems and that those problems were being fixed. In fact, the majority of the problems have since, for most users, been fixed. No, MobileMe isn't flawless and 100% reliable yet, but it works. Soon enough, it'll work smoothly and reliably.

Quote:

So what about those who've been a .Mac member prior to MobileMe who had no option but to switch, they shouldn't complain either?

As I thought I'd mentioned previously, I've been a .Mac member since 2003. I too was automatically switched over. Aside from a couple minor glitches here and there, I haven't had major problems with MobileMe. Yes, it had a rocky start. But it's working much more smoothly now. What's the point of harping about it? I also stood in line for four hours on July 11th to get my iPhone 3G. It was up and running that day, unlike many who had activation problems. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who weathered the iPocalypse (love that term ) relatively unscathed. But I fully anticipated that there would be some problems. There still are! Caveat emptor: I knew what I was getting into.

Quote:

Sorry, you may be tired of the "whiners," but I'm tired of the apologists.

So we're both tired. At least we can see eye to eye on that! And for the record, I didn't call anyone a "whiner." I attempted to express my sympathy with the frustrations of others by sharing the fact that I too have had difficulties. But if you prefer labels, so be it. The problems I had didn't get me bent out of shape, but I'm more laid back about these things than some other posters apparently.

My point is, no one, particularly Apple, is ignoring the fact that there were/are problems. Apple, in fact, has more than acknowledged that there were/are problems. And I think that Apple has also more than indicated that the problems are being rectified. Recognizing all that, what's the point of continuing to complain? Acknowledge what happened, learn the lessons, assess the current situation and move forward! That's what I'm doing. Apple, I'm sure, is too. Life's too short (and business is too fast) to waste time complaining about things you can't change.

And of course, if MobileMe is that unacceptable for anyone, he or she can always use another service. There are plenty of free ones out there.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VelvetHammer View Post

Ok then, how do you suggest we 'move on'? Say, "Thanks for taking a dump all over my Mac, PC and iPhone, Apple. But it's OK, we understand, everyone makes mistakes."?

Admitting fault is not the way resolve a mistake you made. Offering a solution, alternative, or compensation is. They haven't done that globally yet.

Your suggestion to just let it go is asinine and merely a reflection of what is wrong with our society as a whole at the moment.

Were you beat as a child? What do you want, Steve Jobs to come to your house with a pie and ice cream and personally apologize to you? What is wrong with our society are people like you who expect to be compensated for every little downturn in life. The solution has been announced, Apple is working to correct the issues and so far they have done a pretty good job. I am finally able to use the services on a daily basis. Was it a botched job at launch? You bet it was, but the services are getting much better in just a short amount of time.

You don't like the service, cancel it and shut up. Apple will refund you your money. Your alternative is to realize this is an imperfect world, people and businesses are not perfect.

Just remember even though you are perfect one day you will try to do too much at once and make a mistake. Grow up.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

How so?

For me, the only iPhone use I have is with mail forwarding from Gmail so I can get Push to my iPhone. I don't use calendars and am I'm fine with contacts and bookmarks updated when I plug the phone in.

iPhoto publishing is several steps quicker than using Flickr. Time Machine has made the Settings storage a bit obsolete, unless all my equipment gets stolen and Back To My Mac is a useful feature that I use often.

So you would recomend for non -iPhone users to still get it? Is it up and running for good now? Or still problems? There is a big perception out there that it's still not working properly.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So you would recomend for non -iPhone users to still get it? Is it up and running for good now? Or still problems? There is a big perception out there that it's still not working properly.

I'd recommend it for anyone who has a Mac OR iPhone AND wants their data synced AND wants cloud storage. If you only need email then it's a waste of money; as I've stated, I only jsut started using the email (and only for forwarding for Push) after 4 years with .Mac.

On Sunday, three days after the launch, MM was working fine for me. The only issue since then was my contacts not syncing correctly for a day a week or two ago.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    This article's tone is waaaaay too biased, saying stuff like mobileme is "usable and attractive, and demonstrates the real potential of the future of web apps and web services"... making up excuses for Apple by comparing it to Google's beta program...Problem is, this wasn't beta, and it affected not only new mobileme subscribers, but also existing .mac subscribers who were not looking for "potential". [edit] Email may be working now, but there are still lots of other bugs that need to be fixed. Some of them are fundamental problems with the mobileme core services themselves. Another thing is the article makes it sound like the problems are over, but in reality, i'm pretty sure we're far far from the end. [end edit]

So Don't make excuses for them!! The tone of this article is irresponsible and insincere to all the readers who've experienced the mobileme headaches.

Don't get me wrong, I <3 what Apple is trying to achieve here, I have a family pack and i'm hoping for the best, but I haven't given out my sub-accounts yet because frankly, I don't think its ready. I'm a bit more technically inclined, so I use MobileMe for myself because I can handle it, but I wouldn't give my family these troubles...

So why would you do that to your readers? Why shrug off the problems so casually? Just don't.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Google Apps hit by prolonged Gmail access problem

Let's hang them too.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1348...oogleapps.html
  • Reply 49 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    A good read, thanks
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Google Apps hit by prolonged Gmail access problem

Let's hang them too.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1348...oogleapps.html

Oh my that's totally unacceptable. I demand an apology, a free membership to the spa, and a free day at Chuck-E-Cheese.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    I think a lot of the discussions are missing the point. Yes, Apple launched the product too soon and yes it was buggy. I'm also confident that Apple will be very responsive in dealing with the issues.

Where I'm more concerned is the enterprise support for syncing with Outlook. There are serious issues, and I'm not so sure they are simple bugs. For example, iPhone and MobileMe support multiple calendars, but you can only sync all or nothing. I've got personal calendars and a work calendar. I don't necessarily want my personal calendar on my work PC.

Contacts have much bigger issues. Do you have smart groups on your mac? If so, those contacts won't sync. Do you have multiple groups? Sync them and you'll have multiple sets of contacts in your Outlook contacts at work. Outlook just works differently than iCal and Address Book, and the sync function makes a total mess of the translation between the two.

Apple's Outlook support wasn't well thought out, and just don't work.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

I think a lot of the discussions are missing the point. Yes, Apple launched the product too soon and yes it was buggy. I'm also confident that Apple will be very responsive in dealing with the issues.

Where I'm more concerned is the enterprise support for syncing with Outlook. There are serious issues, and I'm not so sure they are simple bugs. For example, iPhone and MobileMe support multiple calendars, but you can only sync all or nothing. I've got personal calendars and a work calendar. I don't necessarily want my personal calendar on my work PC.

Contacts have much bigger issues. Do you have smart groups on your mac? If so, those contacts won't sync. Do you have multiple groups? Sync them and you'll have multiple sets of contacts in your Outlook contacts at work. Outlook just works differently than iCal and Address Book, and the sync function makes a total mess of the translation between the two.

Apple's Outlook support wasn't well thought out, and just don't work.

Contacts and Calendar syncing (Mac and PC) is rudimentary at present and needs major refinement to be truly competitive.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Were you beat as a child? What do you want, Steve Jobs to come to your house with a pie and ice cream and personally apologize to you? What is wrong with our society are people like you who expect to be compensated for every little downturn in life. The solution has been announced, Apple is working to correct the issues and so far they have done a pretty good job. I am finally able to use the services on a daily basis. Was it a botched job at launch? You bet it was, but the services are getting much better in just a short amount of time.

You don't like the service, cancel it and shut up. Apple will refund you your money. Your alternative is to realize this is an imperfect world, people and businesses are not perfect.

Just remember even though you are perfect one day you will try to do too much at once and make a mistake. Grow up.

Yeah, I got my ass beat as kid. What does that matter? I deserved it. Steve Jobs, Pie, and Ice Cream at my place? Hell F*&king yeah! I'd be so down for that. After Steve finished up washing the plates we'd so jam out on Rock Band.

Did I say I expect to be compensated for every down turn in life? Perhaps you need to step back and consider comments in the context they are delivered, and not make wild assumptions about the people posting them. Why does it bother you so much that after I’ve been terribly effected by their mistake, I rightfully complain?

But the next time I need a lesson on how imperfect the world is, I'll make sure to look you up. That is, if you're not too busy sipping on the kool aid and smoking Steve's sausage.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    The price is still too high. I got it with my latest macbook pro at the discount rate but there is no way I will pay 99 dollars to renew it.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VelvetHammer View Post

Yeah, I got my ass beat as kid. What does that matter? I deserved it. Steve Jobs, Pie, and Ice Cream at my place? Hell F*&king yeah! I'd be so down for that. After Steve finished up washing the plates we'd so jam out on Rock Band.

Did I say I expect to be compensated for every down turn in life? Perhaps you need to step back and consider comments in the context they are delivered, and not make wild assumptions about the people posting them. Why does it bother you so much that after I’ve been terribly effected by their mistake, I rightfully complain?

But the next time I need a lesson on how imperfect the world is, I'll make sure to look you up. That is, if you're not too busy sipping on the kool aid and smoking Steve's sausage.

I read the context of your comments both before and now and all I hear is waaa, I'm angry at Steve and therefore Apple owes me something.

I'm affected by the same terrible launch of this product as everyone else. In a few weeks time if there are no improvements then I'll react with my wallet. Sitting there and acting like a little crybaby doesn't really help the situation. They admitted a mistake and are making the changes required to make it better.

From the context of your posts it doesn't sound like you are old enough to have "contacts" or a "schedule" yet. But don't worry, once mommy lets you go out in to the real world you'll have them also. For now just chill and go play Rockband while the rest of us use real guitars and do big people's work.

--Dave