MobileMe now in good hands with Eddy at the helm, insider says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

one day in the life of mr O:

1. internet : Facebook = addressbook which is being updated by your friends, mail with friends, sharing & tagging pictures and creating events

2. internet : Gmail = work mail, Facebook notifications and newsletters.

3. desktop : Apple mail = reading and replying to messages fom my various Gmail accounts.

4. internet: Youtube = sharing videos with your friends which can be linked to the various social networking sites.

5. internet: MobileMe = obsolete. Sorry.

Kind of left out the whole 1-click iWeb publishing, iPhoto syncing/Web Gallery, Back to My Mac remote access, push email, contacts, and calendars, its complete lack of ads, and iDisk online storage, which promises to allow the sending of a link to an uploaded file, making the sending of actual attachments over the internet unnecessary.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    If is not working properly now and will take to end of the year to fix Apple needs to;

1. Turn off MobileME and leave it at .mac.

2. Return everybody's money until the end of the year. Or credit the account until re-launch.

3. Make it free till Jan '09 with no updates in the interim.

This would shake off some of the stink Apple can't seem to loose. Cracking 3G iPhones............etc.

Apple can afford this Steve!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:

Didn't Appleinsider report some time ago about a very talented employee leaving Apple because he did't agree with the way Apple was treating the web 2.0 thing?! Did he see the MobileMe failure coming?!

Does anyone remember the story?

I hope Apple won't be too proud to get back to him and have a cup of tea?!

Yes and he had an exit interview and let them have it as I recall. He was the one who

created several important programs we all use today while at Apple. He worked with them for 15 years!!

He also did not like the lack of interaction between groups and co-workers. Nobody can talk about anything. He said this came about after Steves return and gotten so bad that everybody walks on egg shells , never write anything down, and do nothing social . Everybody thinks the other is a spy. He said that is why Steve does

not want/understand social networking on the Mac/iPhone. Said he has no clue.

Said it was an ugly place to work!!!!!!!! I just can not remember his name or his apps.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Kind of left out the whole 1-click iWeb publishing, iPhoto syncing/Web Gallery, Back to My Mac remote access, push email, contacts, and calendars, its complete lack of ads, and iDisk online storage, which promises to allow the sending of a link to an uploaded file, making the sending of actual attachments over the internet unnecessary.

I know Apple is making some state of the art desktop applications. However, the internet does have a different set of rules which only Google seems to understand. It is about sharing and connecting. Not about showing off your shiny website (unless you're a creative) and doing online desktop applications! Who wants to pay to communicate?

Eddy did a great job wih iTunes, but he really screwed up with .mac. And now he's back at the helmet. He will make it run smoothly and create a great desktop like experience when you're not using your mac. Hence probably the name "mobile lonely me"

iLike is a poorly executed version of what the online iTunes should be like. It should be about connecting your users with their musicians (and dragging them to iTunes). And Facebook is a cleverly designed addressbook that's being updated by your friends themselves. Not everyone does have a secretary.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    When things go wrong on the back end ... cue Eddy.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    For $8.25 per month MobileMe is a sweet deal.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:

I know Apple is making some state of the art desktop applications. However, the internet does have a different set of rules which only Google seems to understand. It is about sharing and connecting.

Er...there is no internet rule book (thank god). What are some examples of how Google "seems to understand" this nonexistent guide to the web?

Quote:

Not about showing off your shiny website (unless you're a creative) and doing online desktop applications! Who wants to pay to communicate?

Who creates a website that's is not "a creative?" MobileMe's web apps are nice, but they're simply a web interface for the bread and butter of the service: push email, contacts, and calendars. No one else is offering this to consumers.

You're paying a rather reasonable annual fee because they don't shove ads in your face like Google and especially Facebook, among others, and for the online storage, which allows you to host a website.

Quote:

iLike is a poorly executed version of what the online iTunes should be like. It should be about connecting your users with their musicians (and dragging them to iTunes). And Facebook is a cleverly designed addressbook that's being updated by your friends themselves. Not everyone does have a secretary.

Maybe Apple recognizes the profitless nature of all these social networking sites, which are by no means guaranteed to last or even be popular. I remember when everyone was consumed with MySpace and look at it now. Its only redeemable value is its use by indie bands. What about Last.fm? Great site (or it used to be), hardly anyone knows about it. I couldn't wait for the Facebook redesign to get here, but now I'm not sure how much easier it is to navigate and I can tell it's going to alienate some users. On that note, how is FB an "address book that's updated by your friends themselves?" How is it any better or worse than Leopard/MobileMe/iPhone's address book? Most of my friends only put up an IM name or email address at the most, some put up their phone numbers and a minority put up their address. None of this info is really searchable or centralized.

Social networking sites are a dime a dozen now, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Apple to jump in. They generally go into more competitive, emerging markets. Maybe they'll leverage their massive iTunes installed base. Who knows? I don't think they need to provide an Apple alternative to everything when they can promote and/or facilitate what's already available through things like the new App Store that features slick apps from Google, Facebook, and things like Loopt, which in some ways takes social networking to the next level with its use of GPS to show where you're friends are and what they're doing (through twitter-esk updates).

You're also completely ignoring one of the biggest new forms of independent free media/entertainment that is likely to replace TV: podcasts. And iTunes is by far the best podcast database, yet does Apple need to put up a be-all-end-all podcast of their own? No, they just promote the good examples already in existence because at the end of the day, Apple's a hardware company that uses software to lubricate hardware sales.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

I agree. Can't find what I need elsewhere without ads, without tons of configuration time, without...
  • Reply 49 of 67
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Didn't Appleinsider report some time ago about a very talented employee leaving Apple because he did't agree with the way Apple was treating the web 2.0 thing?! Did he see the MobileMe failure coming?!

Does anyone remember the story?

I hope Apple won't be too proud to get back to him and have a cup of tea?!

Well, Apple does attract a lot of talented people but there are also many cases of talented people being very unhappy with Apple.

If Apple UK didn't have a rod up its a** maybe I wouldn't have to plan my illegal iPhone 3G unlocking business right now....
  • Reply 50 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

You're paying a rather reasonable annual fee because they don't shove ads in your face like Google and especially Facebook, among others, and for the online storage, which allows you to host a website.

Emphasis mine. That's an interesting way to twist words. Both services that you mention are pretty unobtrusive in terms of their advertising.

Quote:

You're also completely ignoring one of the biggest new forms of independent free media/entertainment that is likely to replace TV: podcasts.

I don't think so, at least in anything resembling their current form. I love them, but let's be realistic here. There aren't many people making a sustainable living making them. Even the viral videos that get millions of hits usually don't pay back much beyond expenses. Where they pay off is when it's a springboard into "old" media, and that doesn't happen all that often.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Emphasis mine. That's an interesting way to twist words. Both services that you mention are pretty unobtrusive in terms of their advertising.

Perhaps those weren't the best examples, but that is how those services are paid for: advertising. Gmail's ads aren't very noticeable, but Facebook's are in my opinion. I don't appreciate all the Woome girls and a great many FB apps are just marketing ploys. The way Beacon essentially followed people around the internet was pretty uncool. I should have sited Yahoo and its banner ads, though I did say "among others."

Quote:

I don't think so, at least in anything resembling their current form. I love them, but let's be realistic here. There aren't many people making a sustainable living making them. Even the viral videos that get millions of hits usually don't pay back much beyond expenses. Where they pay off is when it's a springboard into "old" media, and that doesn't happen all that often.

I was mainly giving strong examples of how iTunes is not a one-way street, but I do believe podcasts will at the very least give traditional TV a run for its money. A number of cable TV news networks offer up their shows as full, ad-free video and/or audio podcasts. Public broadcasting like PBS and radio shows from NPR are there. Then there are great podcasts from online publications like IGN and independent stuff from anyone with a mic and recording software, including tons of music podcasts. Coupled with an Apple TV and you've got a very compelling alternative to traditional TV programing (shouldn't have said TV in its entirety as the actual TV set is still necessary and important).
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Apple just accepted to refund my MobileMe subscription!

FINALLY, AFTER ALL MY COMPLAINTS AND CALLS, THEY LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER

Many thanks and good luck with MobilMe...

By the way, Gmail looks now in trouble!
  • Reply 53 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Not really.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not really.

Why not?
  • Reply 55 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why not?

I think it's because he's had more than the average share of MM issues this past month. For what you get for the price it's an excellent package, but if it isn't working it's gonna be crap. Ireland (the country) has it bad all around for the iPhone and affiliated services). O2 charges must higher rates and doesn't even offer Visual Voicemail. O2 and Apple really do treat them like a redheaded stepchild.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Why not?

Well if it worked it still wouldn't be sweet, but it doesn't even work as advertised, and it's currently slow and unreliable. I couldn't care if I was the only one, cause the way the service performs for someone else will never have any effect on me.

Besides, $8.25 per month is one more bill I just don't need. I'll pay it, but in my option the service should be cheaper. To say it's a sweet deal just strikes me as someone who's high.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well if it worked it still wouldn't be sweet, but it doesn't even work as advertised, and it's currently slow and unreliable. I couldn't care if I was the only one, cause the way the service performs for someone else will never have any effect on me.

Besides, $8.25 per month is one more bill I just don't need. I'll pay it, but in my option the service should be cheaper. To say it's a sweet deal just strikes me as someone who's high.

Who offers a similar service for less money?
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:

Well if it worked it still wouldn't be sweet, but it doesn't even work as advertised, and it's currently slow and unreliable.

MobileMe isn't firing on all cylinders, but it is firing on a majority of them and can only get better and faster with Eddy onboard.

Quote:

I couldn't care if I was the only one, cause the way the service performs for someone else will never have any effect on me.

Ha, if you were literally the only one with problems, more likely than not, it'd be a problem on your end.

Quote:

Who's forcing you to use MobileMe? If you don't need it, nor like it, there are alternatives. Alternatives that ask more for less, yes, but alternatives nonetheless. Also, while it is technically $8.25/month, obviously due to the annual $100 fee, it's really not one more monthly expense.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luca Larobiade View Post

Apple just accepted to refund my MobileMe subscription!

FINALLY, AFTER ALL MY COMPLAINTS AND CALLS, THEY LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER

Many thanks and good luck with MobilMe...

By the way, Gmail looks now in trouble!

I don't see a good reason here to use a different color, or a sentence in all-caps.

Is your gmail comment some kind of sarcasm?
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:

I don't see a good reason here to use a different color, or a sentence in all-caps.

Is your gmail comment some kind of sarcasm?

Maybe he read this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1349.../08/gmail.html

Second gmail outage in a week.