Jagwire has no OS 9 CD?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What's up with this?

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/specs.html"; target="_blank">Where's the OS 9 CD?</a>

Look on the upper right corner just beneath the photo. The OS 9 CD is no where to be seen! Am I missing something? :confused:

Blueflame

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Do people really need an OS 9 disc included? Most people I think that will be using Jaguar already have OS 9.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    I dunno what happened to my new thread but anyway, my question was if OS X even needs OS 9 anymore? I mean only for classic but otherwise do you have to install OS X via OS 9 anymore? death of OS 9?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Hmm...

Good point, those who are upgrading from 9 can already update to 9.2.2 for free anyways, and 10.2 works with that (supposedly).

Too bad for all those users still running OS 8...

Blueflame
  • Reply 4 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong>I dunno what happened to my new thread but anyway, my question was if OS X even needs OS 9 anymore? I mean only for classic but otherwise do you have to install OS X via OS 9 anymore? death of OS 9?</strong><hr></blockquote>

You never had to install OS X via OS 9. Lots of us have been using X w/o 9 even on our systems. OS X is a bootable CD and 9 was NEVER a requirement for it.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong>I dunno what happened to my new thread but anyway, my question was if OS X even needs OS 9 anymore? I mean only for classic but otherwise do you have to install OS X via OS 9 anymore? death of OS 9?</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS X never needed OS 9 unless of course you wanted to use Classic.

Oh well, torifile beat me to it.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 34
    [quote] Contents:
    • Mac OS X CDs

• Developer Tools CD

• User Documentation

<hr></blockquote>

OS X at present comes on one CD, could it be OS X CDs is the OS X and Classic installation CDs?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I was under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that the pre-release builds of Jaguar were multiple (six or something like that) CDs. Wouldn't something that big to begin with end up on at least 2 CDs?

Blueflame
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    wow, no os 9. someone want to EMAIL QUARK AND TELL THEM TO GET THEM OFF THEIR FRIGGIN' ASSES ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>wow, no os 9. someone want to EMAIL QUARK AND TELL THEM TO GET THEM OFF THEIR FRIGGIN' ASSES ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

What does that have to do with Jaguar not coming with OS 9? I'm sure everyone that uses Quark already has OS 9...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Blueflame:

<strong>the pre-release builds of Jaguar were multiple (six or something like that) CDs.</strong><hr></blockquote>2 CDs for Mac OS X Jaguar

2 CDs for Mac OS X Jaguar Server

2 CDs for Developer Tools
  • Reply 11 of 34
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    eman, for someone with over 5000 posts, i would think you could get what i am talking about. but i'll spell it out...

steve says os 9 is dead.

steve removes os 9 from mac os box.

steve is therefore saying "we really friggin mean it this time. it's dead"

quark says "eh, we'll get around to gettign xpress ready. for now it works 'fine' under classic."

quark is obviously collectively on crack, because i had to reboot classic for the third time today, as quark just crashed classic... again.

therefore, i want quark to wake up, smell the coffee, pay their respects to os 9, and get off their damn asses and get quark carbonized so i don't have to launch classic anymore.

there, is that clear now?

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Ahh thanks StarfleetX!

Now the rather large number of CDs I heard about makes sense. So perhaps OS 9 is included in the "OS X CDs" phrase on the page.

I guess I'll find out when I buy it.

:cool:

Blueflame
  • Reply 13 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>eman, for someone with over 5000 posts, i would think you could get what i am talking about. but i'll spell it out...

steve says os 9 is dead.

steve removes os 9 from mac os box.

steve is therefore saying "we really friggin mean it this time. it's dead"

quark says "eh, we'll get around to gettign xpress ready. for now it works 'fine' under classic."

quark is obviously collectively on crack, because i had to reboot classic for the third time today, as quark just crashed classic... again.

therefore, i want quark to wake up, smell the coffee, pay their respects to os 9, and get off their damn asses and get quark carbonized so i don't have to launch classic anymore.

there, is that clear now?

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. I should learn not to post when I'm really tired like I've been the past hour.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I went looking around at various international Apple webpages and found the old stats for OS 10.1. Note the listing of the OS 9 CD beneath the picture:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/ca/macosx/upgrade/specs.html"; target="_blank">OS X 10.1</a>

So, it seems more and more likely that Jagwire will not include OS 9.

Wow, OS 9 really IS dead! :eek:

Blueflame

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Blueflame ]

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Blueflame ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Blueflame:

<strong>

Wow, OS 9 really IS dead! :eek:

Blueflame

</strong><hr></blockquote>

And that's a good thing
  • Reply 16 of 34
    That is not good it is BAD! Bad Bad Bad Bad!! What about all those old "classic" apps that will never be ported to os x...like sim ant? They are truly classics.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Maybe they'll charge another $129 for OS 9.

Actually, I don't even think you can buy OS 9 from Apple anymore, so they'll have to include it.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good point. Sim Ant was great! But look on the bright side: we've still got Bubble Trouble and Glider!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by someoneelse:

<strong>That is not good it is BAD! Bad Bad Bad Bad!! What about all those old "classic" apps that will never be ported to os x...like sim ant? They are truly classics.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if you are using these great Classic-only apps, you probably have Classic installed as a bootable OS on another partition, so you don't really need another OS9 disk to come with 10.2. For those user who don't have a copy of OS9, then they probably aren't using these apps, and hence won't really miss them. Really, who doesn't have most of the old OS disks laying around somewhere? If you do, you don't need another and if you don't, why would you need one now?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    fireants22fireants22 Posts: 119member
    rok&gt; iM with you on the quark issue... whats worse is I am forced to use Xpress-passport, which uses a dongle(hardware-key). I used griffin's iMate USB-adapter thingie, and between the instability of quark in X, and the on-and-off dependability of the drivers....long story short- i actually have to reboot and use os9 just for Quark...now thats a real bummer.

Now if InDesign would get their asses in gear (them and the printhouses that use quark) I would be in X heaven.

BTW...am i the only one that gets annoyed when iSteve calls it OS10"dot"1 ?!!!!