Apple averaging 95 iPhone 3G sales per store, per day

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Her story would not apply to here in DC. Where days would pass without any phones being available, and some days only the white ones would be available. One time I remember waiting in a line of only 8 people, but they didn't have a ninth iPhone for me. So I ended-up pre-ordering one from an ATT store which took 8 days to arrive, and that was the 16gigs.

When checking online we have over 5 stores within a driving distance and sometimes only one or two would have phones available, and they would be available to the early bird shopper only. Their recommendation for me was to show-up at around 6:00am!! The mall opens at around 9:30am!

Maybe the inventory is better now, but the shortages I experienced were only two to three weeks ago.

The reports on that is that some Apple stores are out of stock at times.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

God- if that's your experience at Apple, one can only wonder how long a Best Buy transaction will take? Two a day?

How nice of Apple to do all of AT&T's work.

I'm not sure what those comments are supposed to mean, but there's no reason to believe that it would take any longer at BB.

Apple is doing Apple's work.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    In the Netherlands, T-Mobile has claimes it has sold 35,000 iPhones alreadt. I went and reserved one at one for their stores yesterday, because not a single store has one on offer right now, and the sales-droid pulled up a folder with (rough estimate) at least a hundred applications just like mine. So, over here at least the demand certainly hasn't dried up yet, and I dread the 22nd when another 20 countries will be clamouring for my precious white iPhone...
  • Reply 24 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

And if they had more than 95 phones per day in stock their average would be higher.

probably not.

you have to remember that this ain't like last year where it was grab a phone, scan it, take some money and drop it in a bag. now they have to do the whole ATT thing with account lookups, credit checks etc. even a short transaction is likely 10-15 minutes and they can't have everyone doing phones cause they have to sell other stuff.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

It does seem VERY suspect that there are still 2-3 hour waits for this device. There's one Apple store near LA that claims to sell out "every day" and yet every night they're 'all green' on the iPhone availability chart.

Anyone know what's really going on behind those big glass walls?

it's not that hard to figure out.

they have a limited stock and limited staff to sell the phones. but then late afternoon they get a store shipment and by the time they have more phones unpacked it's too late to start selling them so they go into the next day.

I asked a guy at my local store about the whole 6pm ticket cut off and he flat told me that it was because the company does not want any phones being rung up after 8.30 so that the availability reports are correct and the cut off gives them time in case the last guy in line is a total f-up of a transaction (some of them have taken an hour or even two to get ATT's end sorted out)

so if the phones aren't ready to sell by 6pm you can bet they aren't going to open the boxes
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post

In the Netherlands, T-Mobile has claimes it has sold 35,000 iPhones alreadt. I went and reserved one at one for their stores yesterday, because not a single store has one on offer right now, and the sales-droid pulled up a folder with (rough estimate) at least a hundred applications just like mine. So, over here at least the demand certainly hasn't dried up yet, and I dread the 22nd when another 20 countries will be clamouring for my precious white iPhone...

That's why we're finally getting our three today.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's why we're finally getting our three today.

Three? I take it you got your vouchers this morning. Did you have to all go together to be able to buy that many at once?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Three? I take it you got your vouchers this morning. Did you have to all go together to be able to buy that many at once?

My wife had volunteered to go early yesterday for that, but a business call killed it.

She went today, and lined up at 6:00 am. They opened the store early at 7:30. Unfortunately, she didn't have all the info as to what we wanted for the family account, and I didn't either when she called me at 7:45, so we're both going back at 5:00.

Yes, they gave her the vouchers instead. Too bad we didn't think she could get it then, as we had been told that we would have to come back later in the day when we went and asked Friday.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I was one of those guys, I think I waited in line for about 1.5 hours then it took about 1.5 hours to get credit approval because of a problem with the credit agency. They couldn't do anything except keep calling back every 20 minutes until it came through. I felt sorry for everyone waiting in line...I just wanted to be in and out...at least I eventually ended up leaving with one and not having to wait 3-4 weeks for any of the non-Apple retailers to get one! The stupid thing is I probably have a bad credit rating but I could easily have afforded to buy it outright...it's just cause I move and change jobs too frequently...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it's not that hard to figure out.

the cut off gives them time in case the last guy in line is a total f-up of a transaction (some of them have taken an hour or even two to get ATT's end sorted out)