iTunes movies now available for Australia & New Zealand

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Not personal, just generalising.

If you are into the disposable lifestyle as a personal statement of hostility against the planet, you can always throw away the DVD that you were for some reason unable to insert into your laptop.

Unable to read a map, orient yourself or forward plan on your trip I can understand that you would not be able to pass a video store.

So I would need to modify the market as a rather confused, disoriented, impatient, fat geek with too much money and probably trapped under a fallen piano, unable to lift a finger to even dial 911 for an urgent pizza and DVD.

A much bigger market in the USA than Australia I would think.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Not personal, just generalising.

If you are into the disposable lifestyle as a personal statement of hostility against the planet, you can always throw away the DVD that you were for some reason unable to insert into your laptop.

I guess I forget a potential reason: Lowered carbon footprint by renting and buying media from one's home over the internet.

Quote:

Unable to read a map, orient yourself or forward plan on your trip I can understand that you would not be able to pass a video store.

So I would need to modify the market as a rather confused, disoriented, impatient, fat geek with too much money and probably trapped under a fallen piano, unable to lift a finger to even dial 911 for an urgent pizza and DVD.

A much bigger market in the USA than Australia I would think.

That just sounds like you are trying to insult all Americans but I'm not sure. Probably because I'm to confused to understand the words yous be a writtan or perhaps I'm too impatient to read comprehensively enough.

The fallen piano thing I just don't get. Are you suggesting that fat geeks spend an inordinate amount of time under large musical instruments or were you watching a Charlie Chaplin film while writing that post. Either way, as a lazy, stupid, arrogant American I don't think I should be required to dial 7 numbers when ordering pizza. That is so 3rd-world!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I guess I forget a potential reason: Lowered carbon footprint by renting and buying media from one's home over the internet.

The permanently on, downloading computer, server and internet is being powered off the generator attached to your exercise bicycle? As is your large flat screen TV, air con. etc.

Quote:

The fallen piano thing I just don't get. Are you suggesting that fat geeks spend an inordinate amount of time under large musical instruments or were you watching a Charlie Chaplin film while writing that post. Either way, as a lazy, stupid, arrogant American I don't think I should be required to dial 7 numbers when ordering pizza. That is so 3rd-world!

Something seems to have totally immobilised you that you seem so helpless, I thought the piano might have been as likely a scenario as the others.

Out of curiosity how much do you pay for the alternatives? I can't imagine they are more expensive than here.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

The permanently on, downloading computer, server and internet is being powered off the generator attached to your exercise bicycle? As is your large flat screen TV, air con. etc.

The time and energy to produce a DVD and it's case and leaflett and then ship it all over the world to be housed in different B&M stores is considerably more energy than the studios transcoding the video for the iTS and sending the file to me over a series of tubes.

Quote:

Something seems to have totally immobilised you that you seem so helpless, I thought the piano might have been as likely a scenario as the others.

Why even try to be insulting on an internet forum? If you think that is best for your argument then feel free to continue; I have a tough skin when it comes to people I don't know and could very well just be a sophisticated bot designed by the Japanese to further their AI dvelopment*.

* That ties into my screenname.

Quote:

Out of curiosity how much do you pay for the alternatives? I can't imagine they are more expensive than here.

ITunes Store (US)

$3 ? older rentals

$4 ? new rentals

$4 ? older HD rentals

$5 ?new HD rentals

Video Stores (my area)

$3-$4 ? new rentals

$2-$3 ? older rentals

(I have no idea what the Blu-ray rental prices are)
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

The time and energy to produce a DVD and it's case and leaflett and then ship it all over the world to be housed in different B&M stores is considerably more energy than the studios transcoding the video for the iTS and sending the file to me over a series of tubes.

If only that was all that it took for you to receive and view the movies, which are then totally disposable after the one viewing. You are of course ignoring that that one DVD's energy cost is being shared by multiple viewers, whilst the iTunes DL is always a one off.

Quote:

ITunes Store (US)

$3 — older rentals

$4 — new rentals

$4 — older HD rentals

$5 —new HD rentals

Video Stores (my area)

$3-$4 — new rentals

$2-$3 — older rentals

(I have no idea what the Blu-ray rental prices are)

So I take that buying DVDs, going to movies etc is equally as cheap?

I gave you our costing and you have Apple's, so you can see that it doesn't make much sense here.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

If only that was all that it took for you to receive and view the movies, which are then totally disposable after the one viewing. You are of course ignoring that that one DVD's energy cost is being shared by multiple viewers, whilst the iTunes DL is always a one off.

Huh? What exactly is preventing my iTS rental from be viewed by as many people as my living room can hold. And what is requiring multiple people to watch a DVD rental?

Quote:

So I take that buying DVDs, going to movies etc is equally as cheap?

I gave you our costing and you have Apple's, so you can see that it doesn't make much sense here.

Again, huh? You asked what the cost was. I gave the US costs for renting media from iTS US and from a local video store. Do you want to know the cost of going to a movie theater? That is about $7 to $10 in my home area depending on the time of day and theatre chain, but it's not relevenant to the discussion of video rentals.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Huh? What exactly is preventing my iTS rental from be viewed by as many people as my living room can hold. And what is requiring multiple people to watch a DVD rental?

The video store throws away the DVD after you watch it? Oh, it lets someone else watch it!

Is that really hygienic?

Quote:

Again, huh? You asked what the cost was. I gave the US costs for renting media from iTS US and from a local video store. Do you want to know the cost of going to a movie theater? That is about $7 to $10 in my home area depending on the time of day and theatre chain, but it's not relevenant to the discussion of video rentals.

The thread is about iTunes movie rentals in Australia and New Zealand, where Apple is asking far more for a non-current movie rental than the cost of a just released movie ticket.

It's not all just about you.

I was only curious to establish the alternatives available to you that would cause you to make the choices you make, where you are.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

The video store throws away the DVD after you watch it? Oh, it lets someone else watch it!

So you think that since the DVD is rewatchable for a longer time than an online rental that it must have a lower carbon footprint? Even the drive to the store would be more than the power it would take to send the video.

Quote:

I was only curious to establish the alternatives available to you that would cause you to make the choices you make, where you are.

Which I answered, but it apparently wasn't good enough.

You aren't just biased here you are also admittedly bigoted that anyone who uses the internet for video rentals are stupid, fat, lay, atc.Do you think that is a valid argument to which one should take you seriously? I've given you too many chances for an out but being a dick is apparently thing ocus you have so I think I'll it's best if I cut some forum fat and add you to my ignore list. BTW, that means my above questions are therefore rhetorical. Cheers.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    It is obvious that you are trying very hard to find reasons for why the iTunes store makes sense, when in reality it is just another consumer "thing".

Picking up a video when done in conjunction with other shopping is carbon neutral. Nothing stopping you doing it whilst walking the dog, good for you, the dog and the planet.

Of course if you are totally impatient and must have every whim gratified whenever they occur to you, you will never be environmentally green.

So where does America or any other 1st world country on this consumer roundabout rate? Are we using less or more energy?

The very equipment you are using to DL and watch this disposable entertainment is being hauled half way round the world before ending up at the tip within a few short years.

To support all this technology we are also consuming and disposing of ever more hardware, keeping our power hungry computer, entertainment and communications equipment either permanently on, so that we don't have to wait, or using "Standby" to permanently drain power.

Don't pretend to be environmentally concerned when it is clear that in reality it is the last thing on your mind.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Wow, this one got off topic quickly.

Even for the posts that were on topic...in my opinion, people shouldn't be too quick to get overheated in these forums. It's too easy to fall prey to that on the internet unfortunately. \
  • Reply 31 of 33
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Cost summary

To go to the movies to see current release $14.95, $9.95 on Mondays or Tuesdays.

To rent a recent release DVD $5 -$7

Rent Weekly DVD (catalog item) $1.50 - $3

Buy a recent release DVD $24.95 - $32.95

Buy a catalog DVD $6.95 - $12.95

Rent a DVD from QuickFlix delivered to your letterbox $1.95

Rent from iTunes Store for only 48hrs $9.99 - $24.99 plus download costs.

To go to Hoyts or another major cinema is more like $15.50 now

Every other price I would say is more or less right except your last. To rent from iTunes is $5.95 for standard def or $6.95 for HD. I personally will be using iTunes rentals purely because it is easy.

Which at the end of the day is what it is all about for me.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    And further. I don't want to shell out for a ps3 or blu ray player just yet... so I intend to use the store for renting HD movies only. Seems perfectly logical to me. And it's not like I'll be doing it every week. Once a fortnight would be more like it.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

And further. I don't want to shell out for a ps3 or blu ray player just yet... so I intend to use the store for renting HD movies only. Seems perfectly logical to me. And it's not like I'll be doing it every week. Once a fortnight would be more like it.

Luckily for internet rental services the current speed and data transfer allowances (at least for the US) is at a point that they can take advantage of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray war and the indecision among many to switch from an older to a new optical format. Perhaps they were about a year too late but if the internet was another year or two behind I think HD optical media would have had a much stronger hold than it does now.