Rising iPhone browser share points to sales of 5 million 3G units

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    So far in 2008, the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod touch account for some 95.8% of all mobile views on the site. We're not even kidding. It's pretty hard to argue with something like that, so we're rolling out a new beta version of Engadget optimized for the iPhone at i.engadget.com.

Engadget
  • Reply 22 of 26
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

If my reading of other data is correct, that means the iPhone's share of Web browsing is approaching half of the share of all COMPUTER-based Linux browsing combined. Not just Linux handhelds!

If true, then it's easy to foresee iPhone becoming the #3 browsing platform, period, after Windows PCs and Macs.

Yes, but if we take Job's view that the iPhone is running OSX, not just an iPhone os, then really Macs and iPhones are one platform (with 2 gui frameworks) and they start to encroach upon Windows itself.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    "The User Agent for the iPhone v2.0.1 is:

Code:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS_2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20

What is the UA data for v2.0.1?"

Hi,

Is there any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?

Thanks.

-Ken
  • Reply 24 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darcness View Post

Hi,

Is there any way to change the Iphone's user agent string? Sites like applicationmanager.gov refuse access to Safari users and Iphone refuses installation of other browsers. Could I change the Iphone user agent string to imitate IE, Firefox, or Opera, like a regular desktop user? If so, how?

Thanks.

-Ken

There is no native way to change mobile Safari's User Agent. Surprisingly, I can't find a 3rd-party app for jailbroken iPhones that will change it either.

However, you may be in luck since it the web developer was lazy enough to only use the easily spoofed UA to determine the browser (lazy web developers and IE-friendly sites go hand-in-hand so this isn't uncommon) so I was able to access the login for the site you posted using Mac's Safari but with a different UA from the Develop menu option.

Since it appears that the site you are wanted is also the same as the .org domain you can try the Google search below and choose Cache. Hopefully, the web developer only sought to verify the UA on the first page.
    PS: It's not the iPhone that refuses installation of other browsers. There is nothing in the SDK that I know of that prevents other browsers from being developed for the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is no native way to change mobile Safari's User Agent. Surprisingly, I can't find a 3rd-party app for jailbroken iPhones that will change it either.

However, you may be in luck since it the web developer was lazy enough to only use the easily spoofed UA to determine the browser (lazy web developers and IE-friendly sites go hand-in-hand so this isn't uncommon) so I was able to access the login for the site you posted using Mac's Safari but with a different UA from the Develop menu option.

Since it appears that the site you are wanted is also the same as the .org domain you can try the Google search below and choose Cache. Hopefully, the web developer only sought to verify the UA on the first page.
    PS: It's not the iPhone that refuses installation of other browsers. There is nothing in the SDK that I know of that prevents other browsers from being developed for the iPhone.

Thank you so much for pointing out the loophole on the site. I can get access with Mobile Safari through the google cache. Your remark about other browsers was cryptic though. How could you install Opera or Firefox on the Iphone? I don't know anyone else with a jailbroken iPhone. The site I mentioned is used when applying to Federal jobs, but as you know Mobile Safari won't allow file uploads (such as resumes) so I thought maybe somehow, with Opera Mini for the Iphone, or other browser type, then uploading would be possible directly to sites.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darcness View Post

Thank you so much for pointing out the loophole on the site. I can get access with Mobile Safari through the google cache. Your remark about other browsers was cryptic though. How could you install Opera or Firefox on the Iphone? I don't know anyone else with a jailbroken iPhone. The site I mentioned is used when applying to Federal jobs, but as you know Mobile Safari won't allow file uploads (such as resumes) so I thought maybe somehow, with Opera Mini for the Iphone, or other browser type, then uploading would be possible directly to sites.

I'm glad that worked. US Gov't web develops tend to be so IE-centric, and lazy or unskilled from my experience. But things will be changing. They'll have to support WebKit not too long from now.

Regarding other browsers on the iPhone, it's up to the Opera and Mozilla deb teams to port their browsers over to OS X iPhone. Until they do you are stuck with WebKit as the only native browser.

The only other Alternative I can think of is using a VNC app from the App Store to access your machine at home, but that is less than ideal.