Briefly: shots of Nike+ touch app not the real deal

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A series of images making the rounds on the Internet this week as 'leaked' screenshots of an upcoming Nike+ application for the iPhone and iPod touch are not authentic, AppleInsider has learned.

The application depicted in the shots, which shows off touch-based interface for managing runs and workouts tied to Nike's $30 Nike+iPod Sport Kit, is neither the work of Apple nor the athletic shoe maker, several people familiar with Nike+ initiative say.

First published on the French-language blog iphon.fr, the screenshots are believed to be the product of a third party or individual developer who conceptualized a semi-functional application for one reason or another.

Of particular interest to those examining the shots was one screen capture that suggested the would-be application was capable of accessing music that would reside on Apple's touch-based devices .

Since Cupertino-based company does not offer iPhone developers a programming interface for accessing a user's music library, some believed the purported application was therefore developed in conjunction with Apple. This is not the case, however, and that portion of the conceptual app is unlikely to function.

While Apple and Nike are indeed working to bring the Nike+ experience to Apple's touch-based handhelds sometime in the future, it may be some time before that application sees the light of day.

Some of the unauthentic images posted to a French blog earlier this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Ahhh...the wonders of Photoshop.

Why is this news.......
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Why is this news.......

Because the shots were being reported as being real and they are not.

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yep. A silly fake.

Anyone knows the song is Violet Hill. Not Violent Hill.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Y'know, the touch seems to be way too large to sensibly be used as a workout aid. The shuffle is as big an Apple product as I want to use, although I know many use the nano.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    But now, when it does come out, they will be able to sue for copy-right infringement

Skip
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It looks like a neat idea except for the red / maroon theme.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Y'know, the touch seems to be way too large to sensibly be used as a workout aid. The shuffle is as big an Apple product as I want to use, although I know many use the nano.

I know the iPhone is bigger and more expensive, but I would think that it would be most suitable, it has GPS and you have a ready way to get in contact should you be needed. I don't use phones that much, but I still feel almost naked without having one on me if I am away.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    First of all, that change music could just be a link that opens the iPod application, and not in fact a built in interface. And secondly, Nike will need special permission from Apple anyways because in order to support a wireless device in your shoe, Nike will need permission and assistance in getting the Nike+ to communicate with the iPhone/iPod Touch anyways, so all that is moot. If its fake anyways, good to know, but that alone is not enough evidence in this case.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moo083 View Post

First of all, that change music could just be a link that opens the iPod application, and not in fact a built in interface. And secondly, Nike will need special permission from Apple anyways because in order to support a wireless device in your shoe, Nike will need permission and assistance in getting the Nike+ to communicate with the iPhone/iPod Touch anyways, so all that is moot. If its fake anyways, good to know, but that alone is not enough evidence in this case.

Given their partnership, I don't see why Nike couldn't get that permission and assistance.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Why is this news.......

Why are you here?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    princeprince Posts: 89member
    Well the culprit of the faking should be easy to find, as the purported GPS suggests the runner's location, while the battery indicator says the unit is plugged in to charge. So is he running with a battery pack, or just faking the Maps/Nike+ integration in his mom's basement?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    moo083moo083 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Well the culprit of the faking should be easy to find, as the purported GPS suggests the runner's location, while the battery indicator says the unit is plugged in to charge. So is he running with a battery pack, or just faking the Maps/Nike+ integration in his mom's basement?

I'm not saying its real, but that still isn't evidence enough, because in the stage this app would be in, they could be faking data for testing purposes.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    You ever fake it?

I faked it......you know, when its enough already and you just want to get to bed. LOL
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Still it is no evidence. The screen capture could have been taken from an iPhone plugged into a car with a car adapter (I think developpers doesn't like to run that much :-)
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    While I am not sure these are real, this is not a valid critique.

There is no publicly-available, external API to access your currently playing song.

This is an Apple and Nike internal project, and frankly they can do whatever they want. Given that the current Nike+ interface on the iPod nano allows you to select playlists to listen to with music, nobody is going to want to run in complete silence and they know it.

Now if only they would come out with a system that could interface with machines and other devices (imagine dumbbells with little accelerometers in them)...