Apple investigating iTunes block in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    munciemuncie Posts: 47member
    Selective censorship of free speech, allowing banal western popular culture in while keeping substantive concern out, is much more insidious than blanket censorship. Unlike old Soviet-style blanket censorship, this "Americawashing" dupes most of the world into a smiling tolerance while the victims suffer.

Maybe give the iPhone satellite-phone capability, so free speech can prosper. (Is Pandora censored in China?)

By the way, times demand that I point out the USA's own selective censorship through mechanisms like the Patriot Act and Fox News. Relax - I'm wearing my flag pin as I type this (just nothing else).
  • Reply 22 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

Forgive me if I overestimated and assumed it wasn't necessary to begin from square one. You seem to have heard quite a bit of "smog" and "Tibet." My original argument was that, despite certain Olympic missteps, there were more pressing issues -- why restate a readily apparent case? To be met with "blah, blah, blah"? Makes me "feel good"? I now see my real mistake was attempting to begin a discussion with an intellectual charlatan. If you are unwilling to engage me on anything besides nitpicking and semantics, this will be my last post on the matter.

My best.

HOw dare you insult me with such French words! Go back to your barn - I mean farm !

Seriously - ease up- I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post

Selective censorship of free speech, allowing banal western popular culture in while keeping substantive concern out, is much more insidious than blanket censorship. Unlike old Soviet-style blanket censorship, this "Americawashing" dupes most of the world into a smiling tolerance while the victims suffer.

Maybe give the iPhone satellite-phone capability, so free speech can prosper. (Is Pandora censored in China?)

By the way, times demand that I point out the USA's own selective censorship through mechanisms like the Patriot Act and Fox News. Relax - I'm wearing my flag pin as I type this (just nothing else).

Ouch that must hurt! Unless it's in one of your piercings- which would be where?
  • Reply 24 of 55
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Ahhh, nothing like the Olympic games to join the world together in racism.

Before letting your opinion be manipulated by more media coverage and ignorant people, consider these two points:

- North American mass media (not talking about Joe Bloggs who has a dozen friends reading his website, or even small independent papers/zines/news sites) is largely dictated by the interests of the shareholders and advertisers. If a story about human rights abuse from 3rd world manufacturing for a North American corporation who happens to have a large advertising contract and/or large share in, say, Time/Warner comes to press, it'll more than likely be cut before it even hits the wire. Sure, the story will still get out on smaller media (just as I'm sure there are small, non government-controlled media sources in China which you don't hear about) but censorship is censorship is censorship.

- It's ok for someone underage to not go to school and spend all their time manufacturing clothing destined for North American markets under harsh conditions, but it's cruelty if they spend all their time training for the Olympics under harsh conditions.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never said it makes it right.

And being hypocritical of others while you're just as guilty is better? HA!

YOu probably believe the Chinese invented lip syncing as well and condemn them for it.

Oh yeah, I did say that didn't I? Or was I more along the lines of BOTH BEING BAD? I'm very confused now, as I see the need to ask other people what I believe, as some seem to know better what a hypocrite I am.

Oh, and yeah, why wouldn't they have invented it, like already 3000 years before what you call civilisation came along, eh?

To be honest, I find them doing what they do with their teenage mutants less annoying than people who seem to judge everything by their breakfast crunchy-nut slurping wisdom.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Why does any news reporting in the US about China have to include 3 words- always:

1.) Smog

2.) Human rights

3.) Tibet

It's so tired.

Hehe, I wonder... why could that be...

On a serious note: Have you noticed how the smog in Beijing makes protesting for Human Rights in Tibet so much more tiresome? It's nearly impossible without taking steroids to run from the para-military volunteer Chinese tourist advisors.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Ahhh, nothing like the Olympic games to join the world together in racism.

Before letting your opinion be manipulated by more media coverage and ignorant people, consider these two points:

- North American mass media (not talking about Joe Bloggs who has a dozen friends reading his website, or even small independent papers/zines/news sites) is largely dictated by the interests of the shareholders and advertisers. If a story about human rights abuse from 3rd world manufacturing for a North American corporation who happens to have a large advertising contract and/or large share in, say, Time/Warner comes to press, it'll more than likely be cut before it even hits the wire. Sure, the story will still get out on smaller media (just as I'm sure there are small, non government-controlled media sources in China which you don't hear about) but censorship is censorship is censorship.

- It's ok for someone underage to not go to school and spend all their time manufacturing clothing destined for North American markets under harsh conditions, but it's cruelty if they spend all their time training for the Olympics under harsh conditions.

All true. But: That does not make Beijing cloud-cuckoo land, now, does it?

So, have it your way, the US are a cr4ppy place as well, Guantanamo and all, but did it make Hitler any better that Stalin was just as bad?

Why does everybody rectify evil things by pointing to other evil things? Is everybody insane? Just saying...
  • Reply 28 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonSqueak View Post

And how lucky we are that what comes through is just 13 year old gymnasts in their long struggle against Human Rights.

I would hope that you understand that my support for Teckstud was not what he said, but if one is going to throw stones then one should be prepared to get some thrown back. Rightfully or wrongfully.

As we exampled here, one tosses out a pebble. Another responds with a stone. Before it lands, we have a nuclear war. All because nobody took the time to understand the other.

Best we all remember the adage; people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Like no one ever lip-sync at the US events like Super Ball. And like US never fake anything at all, perhaps documents stating that Iraq had missiles.

I don't think the issue is with lip syncing, but with lip syncing to someone's else's voice. Artists may lip sync, but it's still them singing the songs. I feel bad for the little girl was told that she can't be on camera because she isn't cute enough. I imagine that would be devastating to a little girl.

As for human rights violations, I don't think that is an issue here because of the age as these Olympic gymnasts start is very young and they work so very hard at it that it all seems like a violation of, at least, childhood in some way. The only issue here would be cheating, but as stated if you open that up then you have to open it all up.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I would hope that you understand that my support for Teckstud was not what he said, but if you are going to throw stones be prepared to get some thrown back. Rightfully or wrongfully.

Sorry, see that now. But someone has to give him a chance to reach the milestone of a thousand highly thoughtful posts as soon as possible. What a happy moment it will be. ;-)

Just joking, Mr Stud, I know I'm new and still have to find my place in "society"...
  • Reply 31 of 55
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Several users in China have been unable to access iTunes ever since a pro-Tibet album was released on the digital download service earlier this week, prompting an investigation by Apple.

Apple spokesperson Huang Yuna said the company was aware of the problem but had no comment on the matter for the time being. "We are still investigating," she said.

And if after the investigation Apple finds egregious acts committed by China's government regarding the ability to access iTunes, what will Apple do? Send a letter to the Chinese governement stronly protesting? Request a UN Resolution? Pull out of the Chinese market? Increase the cost of their products so the "common man" can no longer afford? 'Investigating China' sounds like empty rhetoric, unfortunately.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

And how lucky we are that what comes through is just 13 year old gymnasts in their long struggle against Human Rights.

Peeps, get off the 13 year old gymnasts' backs already. They have to cheat or their parent's organs will be harvested for The State.

It isn't the people that make China bad, its the Communist F-tardificated asshat jerkoff government that makes them bad.

Otherwise, they're totally awesome, with all their Chineseness and stuff.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

And if after the investigation Apple finds egregious acts committed by China's government regarding the ability to access iTunes, what will Apple do? Send a letter to the Chinese governement stronly protesting? Request a UN Resolution? Pull out of the Chinese market? Increase the cost of their products so the "common man" can no longer afford? 'Investigating China' sounds like empty rhetoric, unfortunately.

If that doesn't work, Steve Jobs will personally go over there and begin kicking the shit out of each and every last one of those 1.6 billion red-chinese commies with his bare hands, using at various different times, as needed, Jobs-Fu, The Way of the Woz, and the Iron BAM! techniques.

You think the black tutrleneck is a stylistic choice? No. It is the piece of his magical awesome fkkking ninja uniform he allows you to see, to remind you that if he is ever displeased, he can fire you from reality in an instant.

Steve Jobs can kill you with a single look.

China has no chance.

Weep for them.

They know not the pain they are about to inflict upon themselves.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think the issue is with lip syncing, but with lip syncing to someone's else's voice. Artists may lip sync, but it's still them singing the songs. I feel bad for the little girl was told that she can't be on camera because she isn't cute enough. I imagine that would be devastating to a little girl.

Oh boo hoo! What if she knew and got paid? Do you feel sorry for Marni Nixon because she wasn't cute enough yet voiced Audrey Hepburn, Deborah Kerr and Natalie Wood in some of Hollywood's biggest musicals? Give me a break! Seriously- do you think every commercial you see has the actor's voice little or old on it? Seriously are you that naive?

ANd did you know that in your British film Oliver - the young lad was voiced by a girl? How do you feel about him and her? Who's defence would you come to in that situation?
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Hehe, I wonder... why could that be...

On a serious note: Have you noticed how the smog in Beijing makes protesting for Human Rights in Tibet so much more tiresome? It's nearly impossible without taking steroids to run from the para-military volunteer Chinese tourist advisors.

LOL- yeah they should learn from Marion Jones and get on with it.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

All true. But: That does not make Beijing cloud-cuckoo land, now, does it?

So, have it your way, the US are a cr4ppy place as well, Guantanamo and all, but did it make Hitler any better that Stalin was just as bad?

Why does everybody rectify evil things by pointing to other evil things? Is everybody insane? Just saying...

My point in that post is that just because the Chinese government has done a lot of evil things, doesn't mean that it's reason to be racist against the entire culture. If we turn the same microscope on our own culture, you can find the same evil things just in a different form. Which, I'm sure if you turned to the media in anti-American societies, you'd see it being used to manipulate people's opinions the same way.

I'm basically just trying to combat the racism which I feel has reached a frenzy around the Olympic games. This article just happened to tap into that same sentiment.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

My point in that post is that just because the Chinese government has done a lot of evil things, doesn't mean that it's reason to be racist against the entire culture. If we turn the same microscope on our own culture, you can find the same evil things just in a different form. Which, I'm sure if you turned to the media in anti-American societies, you'd see it being used to manipulate people's opinions the same way.

I'm basically just trying to combat the racism which I feel has reached a frenzy around the Olympic games. This article just happened to tap into that same sentiment.

There's racism, and there's criticism of government politics. I feel most of what is addressed here relates to the latter.

Apart from that, I guess the idiot-decent person ratio is about the same anywhere in the world.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Oh boo hoo! What if she knew and got paid? Do you feel sorry for Marni Nixon because she wasn't cute enough yet voiced Audrey Hepburn, Deborah Kerr and Natalie Wood in some of Hollywood's biggest musicals? Give me a break! Seriously- do you think every commercial you see has the actor's voice little or old on it? Seriously are you that naive?

ANd did you know that in your British film Oliver - the young lad was voiced by a girl? How do you feel about him and her? Who's defence would you come to in that situation?

You have it completely backwards. Marni Nixon wasn't replaced by Hepburn for the role of Eliza because she wasn't attractive enough. It was Hepburn that was replaced my Nixon despite her lengthy preparation. If I were to feel bad for anyone it would be Hepburn, but these are adults we are talking about working on a film. I'm always amazed at your unrelenting cynicism and that you can compare that to a little girl getting the axe because of a superficial decision.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

It isn't the people that make China bad, its the Communist F-tardificated asshat jerkoff government that makes them bad.

I hate how china is considered communist when there economy is no longer so :-/ why not just call them totalitarian???
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have it completely backwards. Marni Nixon wasn't replaced by Hepburn for the role of Eliza because she wasn't attractive enough. It was Hepburn that was replaced my Nixon despite her lengthy preparation. If I were to feel bad for anyone it would be Hepburn, but these are adults we are talking about working on a film. I'm always amazed at your unrelenting cynicism and that you can compare that to a little girl getting the axe because of a superficial decision.

You're insane- stop being such a racist - the poor unattractive little girl, the Polish/ Nazi joke yesterday that you pulled. She was not that unattractive- her teeth may not have been perfect- who knows?

It was an artistic decision as well. DOn't you think the director of the Olympics preferred this for the viewing public-Yimou Zhang??? DO you see him resigning because of this??

Amaze yourself my friend and stop being so condescending in all your arguments when anyone calls you up on any of your ridiculous superficial rantings.

You are the master of Mac though if I may add.