Apple developers get new builds of Safari 4, Mac OS X 10.5.5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    A simple keyboard shortcut for switching tabs, like Option + Tab or Control + Tab, something you can use with one hand without breaking it.

Shift + Option + Command + Arrows does need two hands.

And mouse gestures without an external solution would be fine.

And Option + K for using the Search bar (google or inquisitor) would be good, Opera and FF use it.

Dreaming on....
  • Reply 42 of 70
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just snapped this from the latest version of Safari.

Where did you get yours?

The latest version of Safari, the one discussed in this article.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Firefox has Control + Tab as well.

Anyway in Safari you can use command shift ] or [ to switch tabs and it's easy enough with one hand. And while this isn't the ideal solution, command l and tab will take you right to the search bar.

Sebastian

Thanks for the Cmd + L and the tab tip, but the other one doesn't work for me, as I don't have "] or [" on my keyboard.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is anyone else have a problem with opening new tabs in Safari? The screen is empty blank rather than showing the home page which it is set to? Any idea on how to correct- I never had this before the last update.

Thanks.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Null.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    This one, but in new aluminum fashion. And the appropriate german layout.

On the windows side those brackets could be written by pressing "Alt Gr + 8 or 9" I think.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

The latest version of Safari, the one discussed in this article.

What version?

I'm using Version 3.1.2 "build" (5525.20.1)
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Null.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'd like a feature that probably isn't possible ... The ability to totally emulate Internet Explorer as if running within Windows and all that Active X crap when needed (as in 'go into DUMB MODE'). Then I could ditch Windows totally which my wife has to use to access sites that refuse to work unless using winblows and IE (That would be the Realtor's Florida MLS in my wife's case). Please don't tell me MLS works in Canada or elsewhere on a Mac with Safari, I believe it, but it sure as hell doesn't in Florida grrrrrr.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Doesn't appear to work with 10.4 or 10.5! ONly good for 10.2 thru 10.3.8

I haven't used SS in a while. I checked and Bookdog is the successor. The current one is supposed to work with 10.4 and 10.5.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Unfortunately many websites are built around IE's "standards" so no matter how genius Safari, Firefox or any of the other browser develop it's still the Microsoft bottleneck in place.

That's changing though. Even IE 8 works with standards much better than earlier versions.

As FF, Safari, and others gain greater marketshare, site owners must accommodate them or lose substantial business.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just snapped this from the latest version of Safari.

Where did you get yours?

I prefer the Aqua on purple. The colors don't clash at all, and they differentiate. I really DON"T like the idea of purple on purple.

But then, I don't like grey on grey either.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'd like a feature that probably isn't possible ... The ability to totally emulate Internet Explorer as if running within Windows and all that Active X crap when needed (as in 'go into DUMB MODE'). Then I could ditch Windows totally which my wife has to use to access sites that refuse to work unless using winblows and IE (That would be the Realtor's Florida MLS in my wife's case). Please don't tell me MLS works in Canada or elsewhere on a Mac with Safari, I believe it, but it sure as hell doesn't in Florida grrrrrr.

It's Active X that causes most of the problems. Sites are slowly abandoning it. I wouldn't want to extend its use.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    a feature I really wish safari had that firefox does is "command+enter" to add "http:www." +".com" in the location bar.

I also agree "control+tab" tab switching would be nice too.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    jamiecjamiec Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratattak View Post

a feature I really wish safari had that firefox does is "command+enter" to add "http:www." +".com" in the location bar.

Safari does this automatically -- type "apple" (no quotes) in the address bar and hit return and it will change it to http://www.apple.com/. Type "apple/getamac/ads" and it goes to http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    safari 4.0 excited
  • Reply 58 of 70
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

safari 4.0 excited

Probably I missed it, but is Safari 4 going to be released with 10.5.5? And why this thread is not in Mac OS? It is about 10.5.5 and Safari is only part of the news at the end.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is anyone else have a problem with opening new tabs in Safari? The screen is empty blank rather than showing the home page which it is set to? Any idea on how to correct- I never had this before the last update.

Thanks.

Safari>Preferences>Tabs

Check Select tabs and windows as they are created To have new tabs or windows open in front of the one you’re currently viewing, select this checkbox.

It has always been there as far as I can remember. See HELP or Click the '?' mark at the bottom of the preference pane to see other explanations:
  • Reply 60 of 70
    tigertiger Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If you haven't already, try emulating IE by selecting IE in the Develop | User Agent menu. You'll probably lose some functionality but not much.

I'm often amused by how much functionality Safari has in IE-only web sites. You just have to trick the site into thinking you're using Internet Exploiter.