Apple: iPhone security holes, contacts lag, GPS quirks to be fixed soon

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

A lot of countries have consumer rights laws, if something doesn't work as advertised, back it goes, that includes software. If something doesn't work as advertised I would be complaining about it, or returning it pretty fast.

That's the difference between you and him.

He could return it, and get his money back.

He's working through it and getting an update.

You would take it back and get your money.

I wouldn't assume the country he lives in does NOT have a law to protect him.

I do have to agree about his cry-baby reference though.

You people just cry too-easily and need to get over it.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by billin View Post

I'm hoping the update includes video playlists, though maybe there's already a way to do this and I haven't found it yet. I put tons of TV episodes on my iPhone. In iTunes, I can create playlists that contain those video files, i.e. "Arrested Development", "Futurama", etc. This makes it easy when I want to watch a particular show. But for some reason, I can't get those playlists to appear on the iPhone - I check the playlist to sync in iTunes, but it just doesn't show up on the iPhone. So every time I want to watch a video, I have to scroll through a huge list.

Anyone have a clue about this?

Not sure. Anyone have a clue why smart mailboxes don't fly over .me? Only the folders in Mail sync over.

There are some settings that I think get overlooked or forgotten. There's lots of stuff packed in a small handset. The user interface is pretty darn straightforward though. Apple will probably refine it even more.

Try turning on ALL your wireless connects: the 3G button, the Wifi Button, Locator, ALL of it. Who knows how stuff really syncs?

I was trying to get a Charter email address to work on my phone and got NOTHING until I turned everything on and left it overnight. Suddenly my charter email works. I mean, I googled that issue and it is thorny. So I wonder if turning everything on helped. I usually turn off this or that, to save battery. I agree the battery life is a bit shorter than the first iphone, but then Apple said it would be from the beginning due to the demands of 3G. But it is annoying to be in the gym with a freshly charged phone and have it run down to half full just listening to the ipod part for an hour. How much is left after half full ? I worry about that when I get in the car to leave.

Can anyone recommend a good car adapter for the 3G iphone?
  • Reply 43 of 44
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

That's the difference between you and him.

He could return it, and get his money back.

He's working through it and getting an update.

You would take it back and get your money.

I wouldn't assume the country he lives in does NOT have a law to protect him.

I do have to agree about his cry-baby reference though.

You people just cry too-easily and need to get over it.

So in the mean time the company has your money, is making interest off it, and can provide an update whenever they want (if they want to even)
  • Reply 44 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

tens of millions of users? Are you combining all their products in one group?

Launching three products at once isn't difficult for a large company. Apple is trying to play with the big boys, and at the same time, trying to stay a small company which they can't do. They should be spending some money, and planning these things a bit better.

I wouldn't be happy if I had to download a massive firmware update like the iPhone has, every couple of weeks trying to make it a stable product, just after forking out as much money as the device costs (and will continue to cost).

Yes, I was thinking of all the products together and spread over all the markets Apple is expanding into between the iPocalypse and the end of the year. I agree Apple (and others) could, and SHOULD, plan and execute product launches better; users should, at most, point out missing features, but they shouldn't have to suffer through poor performance and non-functionality of those new products/services. Having used computers since 1983 (Apple ][c), I guess I'm accustomed to HW/SW never working 100% perfectly right out of the gate and dealing with updates throughout products' lifespans to add features and improve functionality/stability; it's just the nature of the beast.

But you're right, the instability of the iPhone 2.0.x software is occasionally very annoying, particularly given the price we've paid. I'm relieved that the 3G connectivity issues seem to be more the fault of AT&T rather than faulty HW in the iPhone itself. Hopefully the 2.1.x SW updates provide adequate workarounds for AT&T's fledgling 3G network for the immediate future. But the app crashes are a particular irritant, the only solution for which I've found is to cut back on the number of free apps I load onto my iPhone 3G. You get what you pay for (or should) and the two Netter's apps I have are fantastic and rock solid, as are the other apps I've purchased. To be clear, despite its shortcomings, I LOVE my iPhone and wouldn't dream of using any other mobile.

I don't know, nor would I probably fully understand, the specifics of the intricacies behind the iPhone, MobileMe, etc., but I accept that the complexities are great. Not insurmountable, but challenging. My thought was simply that having so many users employing the HW/SW in so many unpredictable ways would so complicate the ultimate goal of R&D/QC process that the companies might find it more cost effective to go to market sooner (with a product or service that was at 90%) rather than later (with a product that was 100%) and potentially lose out on millions of dollars in revenue.