Just how fast is Jaguar?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I just tried scrolling through a PDF in Acrobat Reader in Jaguar... I'm on an iMac/800 and while it wasn't lightning fast it wasn't really slow either. In fact I thought it was perfectly acceptable. Page Up and Down worked really fast, that was instantaneous.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    ... all this for a mere 130$ ...

I don't wanna sound like a whiner but...

... you tell us you can "choose" not to upgrade ...

• Reply 63 of 67
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>I just tried scrolling through a PDF in Acrobat Reader in Jaguar... I'm on an iMac/800 and while it wasn't lightning fast it wasn't really slow either. In fact I thought it was perfectly acceptable. Page Up and Down worked really fast, that was instantaneous.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, well "deadly" might have been overkill on my part. But you get the idea. Point is there is a...latency, for lack of a better word, in just about everything I do in X that just wasn't there in 9. That's what I want to see fixed.

Like in Excel, when you're making a chart and you want to move fast, but the stupid chart window rolls down like a window shade and it takes FOREVER to render. And once you make your selections and click off of it, it rolls back up again (and takes forever). It makes me want to throw the Powerbook out the window.

I'm hoping that QE makes things like that more tolerable.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    [quote]Originally posted by neurokid:

<strong>Like in Excel, when you're making a chart and you want to move fast, but the stupid chart window rolls down like a window shade and it takes FOREVER to render. And once you make your selections and click off of it, it rolls back up again (and takes forever). It makes me want to throw the Powerbook out the window.

I'm hoping that QE makes things like that more tolerable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm hoping it stays that way! After all, if you throw your Powerbook out the window, and I catch it, you won't get mad if I keep it, will ya? Just tell me when and where, k?

• Reply 65 of 67
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by neurokid:

<strong>

OK, well "deadly" might have been overkill on my part. But you get the idea. Point is there is a...latency, for lack of a better word, in just about everything I do in X that just wasn't there in 9. That's what I want to see fixed.

Like in Excel, when you're making a chart and you want to move fast, but the stupid chart window rolls down like a window shade and it takes FOREVER to render. And once you make your selections and click off of it, it rolls back up again (and takes forever). It makes me want to throw the Powerbook out the window.

I'm hoping that QE makes things like that more tolerable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure if it's prudent to expect that Apple can fix Microsoft's code.

I remember seeing a benchmark a few years ago demonstrating that Excel 98 for Mac was slower than Excel 97 for Windows running on the same machine in Virtual PC.

So don't get your hopes up. At least, not as far as Office:mac performance is concerned.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Ah... well yeah aside from MS apps, the latency thing seems to be taken care of in Jaguar, for the most part. As far as I can tell anyway, I'm not using the same hardware you are, I'm on an iMac/800. Jaguar is very responsive, moreso than 10.1.5 is. In fact some things are downright screaming fast in Jaguar. Really. Remember when CMD-F instantly brought up a Find File window? Something to look forward to again in Jaguar.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    nadennaden Posts: 28member
    How fast is it ?

Faster than a speeding bullet stuck in the back end of a bat out of hell.