I say the announcements on SEP. 9TH will turn out to be BORING!

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 45
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    [crosses fingers]



    Come on MacTouch tablet…!



    [/crosses fingers]
  • Reply 22 of 45
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I remember distinctly a few years back Apple pulled a similar stint, urging every journalist to appear at their special event - and then the announcement was booooooring as hell.



    Apple PR's idea of 'must see' usually comes with a very hefty dose of RDF.

    Don't believe their hype.



    The 'must see' item is probably an iPod nano at $99. While nice, not terribly 'new' nor 'must see'. It's just a new low price point.





    The only iPod news I would consider 'must see' is the introduction of a new high-end model. If they push prices down throughout the product line Apple should be able to make room for a new high-end model.

    Some did speculate a while back that the rumored 'Mac tablet' was not in fact a Mac, but based on the iPhone/iPod OS variant, so in fact is an 'iPod tablet'.



    Yet somehow I don't see how an 'iPod tablet' - well suited for email and web browsing - would fit the 'Let's Rock' theme. Something like 'Let's Surf' would be better for that.





    Or in other words, a new high-end, larger sized iPod doesn't seem likely to me.

    Chances are, the event will be boring.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    My guess is iPod updates, showing the new Nano, etc. And like others said, a new price point.



    In the end, no new Macbook's or Macbook Pro's; just a lot of chatter, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    See, what they should have done was to go ahead and do a combined ipod/macbook event. That way even if there were a few boring moments overall the event would be considered very exciting.

    But no, they want to be disciplined and have a seperate event for each product line. Even though they know they HAVE to have a macbook event sometime in the extreme near future.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    I think that they will push the bigger (and cheaper) Flash cards in the Touch's and stiil stay for a while with the HardDrives for the Classics because I think the price will be too much. Look at the MacBook Air where the SSD drive is a lot more expensive than the HD.



    grtz Fr3dj3
  • Reply 26 of 45
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fr3dj3 View Post


    I think that they will push the bigger (and cheaper) Flash cards in the Touch's and stiil stay for a while with the HardDrives for the Classics because I think the price will be too much. Look at the MacBook Air where the SSD drive is a lot more expensive than the HD.



    grtz Fr3dj3



    I disagree. I think strongly that the time has come to cut the bull and start drastically dropping the prices on flash based products. Correct me if I'm wrong but while the SSDs are still relatively expensive, but dropping in price, the particular technology in flash cards on the other hand is declining faster in price.



    We might be looking at the retirement of the hard drive based ipods.

    Right now my opinion on the event has changed.



    I think its 50/50 whether we will be seeing a boring event or a very exciting event. My gut feeling says that if there is going to be a lot of excitement it will have to do with dropping prices and software updates/firmware updates with exciting features we did not expect.



    Tuesday is fast approaching. \
  • Reply 27 of 45
    I also disagree that it will be a boring event. Yes we have already seen the new nano, and yes the touch will not be updated very much on the outside. But what about the firmware? I'm sure there will also be some new features in the new iPods and maybe even GPS in the touch. We'll see.



    Can't wait !



    grtz Fr3dj3
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fr3dj3 View Post


    I also disagree that it will be a boring event. Yes we have already seen the new nano, and yes the touch will not be updated very much on the outside. But what about the firmware? I'm sure there will also be some new features in the new iPods and maybe even GPS in the touch. We'll see.



    Can't wait !



    grtz Fr3dj3



    Oh, and any firmware updates on the touch will also be updates to the iphone. Its looking like the iphone will be making a guest appearance so as to announce the iphone 2.1 update.

    Copy paste? Bug fixes? Secret features not yet announced?



    Where is that spoiler free link for the keynote video? I won't be home till like 10pm Tuesday. And I want that link so I can watch the video with my popcorn.....YES! Gonna buy a bag of popcorn so I can enjoy the video when I get home!
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I hope they lift the iPhone developer NDA on Tue.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post


    Why? All they have to do is state that the new products aren't eligible for the rebates, or, just announce them and have them available after the 15.

    I'm hoping for a new MacBook.



    Reason being is they want to clear all the older stock to make room for the new ones. Majority of people will want the newest model when it comes out. Also, it makes it so Apple will not have to lower the price of the older (now current) generation to make it a better deal.



    Previous gen. MacBook and free (MIR) iPod at student discount.



    -OR-



    Newest gen. MacBook with student discount.





    I personally would take the newest model. Screw the iPod I already have a 4gb Nano and 8gb iPhone 3G
  • Reply 31 of 45
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post


    I hope they lift the iPhone developer NDA on Tue.



    For the longest while I was thinking the same thing. But perhaps the reason for the extended developer NDA is because Apple is planning to debut in the near future some brand new hardware products that developers would have to prepare for.

    The developers would have to be forced to keep the secret of the devices though.

    Thats probably it. IMO.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    It definatly isnt going to be as big as the announcment for the iPhone or an new Macbook update. But I am looking forward to the firmware release. hopfully they wont do what they did last time and give us a future date.



    I think there will be a band to play after the speech...

    especially since the title is "Let's Rock"



    Coldplay...?
  • Reply 33 of 45
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    I didn't hear that part of it and wasn't aware Apple gives guidance beyond the coming quarter.



    I haven't re-listened to the call, but the following is a quote from the AppleInsider article.



    Quote:

    A frequent point of discussion during the hour-long call, the mystery transition will drop Apple's gross margins from 34.8 percent in the spring quarter to just 31.5 percent in the July-to-September window in which the update takes place, ultimately settling at about 30 percent during Apple's fiscal 2009.



    I added the bold.

    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=Peter
  • Reply 34 of 45
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Nothing really exciting. And I doubt the new G4 nano is really thinner than the G2 nano. Its thickest part is probably as thick as the G2 nano was throughout.



    I'm also really disappointed that they cut the classic from 160GB to 120GB. I was kind of looking forward to a 240GB version.



    Ah well...
  • Reply 35 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm a bit mixed on what we are seeing in this announcement. The Nano's really look the nuts to me and ITunes 8 so far looks great to me. But the rather marginal improvements to Touch have me wondering if anybody is driving the bus at Apple.



    That said the recording feature or analog in will be a big deal on Touch especially with students.



    Dave
  • Reply 36 of 45
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    I'm a bit mixed on what we are seeing in this announcement. The Nano's really look the nuts to me and ITunes 8 so far looks great to me. But the rather marginal improvements to Touch have me wondering if anybody is driving the bus at Apple.



    Seems to me nearly every request I've heard was answered on the touch today. Lower prices, a speaker, a better battery and updated software. I guess copy and paste is one that's still going to be missed.



    All in all, a respectable iPod update today! I assume Apple's making millions and millions of them for the Christmas rush.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    Seems to me nearly every request I've heard was answered on the touch today. Lower prices, a speaker, a better battery and updated software. I guess copy and paste is one that's still going to be missed.



    All in all, a respectable iPod update today! I assume Apple's making millions and millions of them for the Christmas rush.



    I believe the Nano update is respectable, the Touch is a different story though. I'm not discounting the new features but rather have a concern over what was left out. I'm also concerned about Apples now screwed up product line.



    The Touch simply needs a model with more storage badly!! Think about the huge gap that now sits between the Touch and the Classic. That seems like a marketing blunder but I'm hoping it is only a short term gap. The lack of any model with GPS sucks too.



    Dave
  • Reply 38 of 45
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    The Touch simply needs a model with more storage badly!! Think about the huge gap that now sits between the Touch and the Classic.



    I think it's unlikely Apple will make a hard drive based touch. Until flash storage comes down in price, it's cost/price prohibitive for anything more than 32GB, which did come down $100 today. As for GPS, I expect they'll leave that as a selling point for the iPhone, at least for now.



    A year from now, there will probably be a 64GB touch, which will narrow the gap you speak of.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    Seems to me nearly every request I've heard was answered on the touch today. Lower prices, a speaker, a better battery and updated software. I guess copy and paste is one that's still going to be missed.



    All in all, a respectable iPod update today! I assume Apple's making millions and millions of them for the Christmas rush.



    Everything except GPS. I was really hoping they would add gps to the new ipod touch so it could work as a mini map for on the go without the need for a 3G contract from AT&T. While not devastatingly boring the event certainly wasn't earth shattering. But it wasn't bad.

    What was important to a lot of people in the business world though was how Steve looked.

    He was still thin obviously but he looked MUCH better than he did in the last keynote. You could tell from his face that he was better.

    Steve was stronger and healthier. Thats more important than a bunch of ipods.



    But even still, because there was no gps in the new ipod touch I don't think I will be getting it no matter how tempted I was. I think I will wait for the iTablet. That HAS to have long range wireless capability (3g AT&T data only plan?). Surprisingly, I seem to be extremely attracted to that new ipod nano. And no, it does NOT remind me of a zune. What idiot would actually try to compare that to a zune? The colors, the "shake to shuffle", the updated controls, the shape and size, I think I'm gonna git me one.

    One caveat on the ipod nano...........



    shake to shuffle only works with the screen on. What if I'm not looking at the nano and I try to shake to shuffle? It should be then when it should especially work.

    Ah well.



    Now that its history and it was proven to be an ipod event only.....what about the supposed october event for macbooks and what about MACWORLD 2009???
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post


    A year from now, there will probably be a 64GB touch, which will narrow the gap you speak of.



    And by that time Toshiba's single platter 1.8" drives will be at 160 or 200GB widening the gap even more!



    I can't follow Jobs' logic. Just because not few people bought 160GB iPods doesn't mean as few will buy 240GB iPods. I think 200GB/250GB is a special threshold where the iPod becomes a proper storage device. And Jobs simply missed that opportunity by not offering a 240GB iPod.



    As the design didn't change it would have cost Apple so little to continue offering a 240GB model.

    Shame on Apple for not doing it.

    Less choice is never a nice thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.